Korean Carom Games

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for the rule for two Korean games. The games are called Six ball and Nine ball. I think that both of these games are played on a carom table. The game Six Ball utilizes two white, one red, blue, yellow and black ball.
The game Nine Ball utilizes one white and two black, blue yellow and red balls.

Here is a link to a the ball set.

http://www.billking.co.kr/goods/det..._uid=357&cl_uid=12&cs_uid=103&sale_p=&gong_p=

They play that game all the time in one of the places I go into. Seen it a thousand times, but the prior sentence is all I have figured out thus far!

I will ask the one that speaks English and report back!:wink: Might be a while.

flips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's a gambling game. players are handicapped and have a certain number of points to score. i believe each player has a cue ball. there is a neutral ball, i believe that you have to hit first then you try to contact one of the numbered balls, but you can't hit any other balls. there are also cards (maybe go cards, i'm not sure) that mean various things regarding the player's game points, that the players pick up. i believe that's the general outline of the game. you should ask the people playing how to play, as well. also, i believe you have to go out exactly, like in 501, the darts game.

best.

phretless

Registered
untranslated rules

I think this is the name in Korean 6구공 ( 식스볼 )

식스볼 규칙
sixball rules

http://k.daum.net/qna/view.html?qid=2fJji
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?...40029975385&redirect=Dlog&widgetTypeCall=true
http://www.ggemguide.com/guide_on_v...87&PHPSESSID=3137978b1d4ab37955e602757f4d96fc
http://pgr.m.oolzo.com/View.aspx?site=192&page=4&divpage=19&no=119883

Separate guide on the homepage to find and easy to see that the absence of notice to an excerpt from here On sikseubol description>> to use six balls to see Carom Six types of gambling jongmokin Added default rule similar to the offline rules have been applied , the big money when you start the game, pay the winner taking all the way is your wager amount from the moderator may decide to change bangopsyeon: 4 handicap score 190 plus points on the basis of their scores are determined at random between 0-6 digits of card number If the victory is all but punched. In other words, if a handicap score of 300 hits a score of 300 +190 = 490 and number 3 If you get the card, leaving a score of 30 will win you need to finish. his remaining score 190 points or less, when the number cards will be able to see: the number of the card number is exceeded, the score when the game out in the taste, and then back in the game to participate wager back pay from the beginning to hit. In addition, no 공 also If you do not mathiji, the ball went pop, the black ball is treated as a foul ball is not mathiji first score will be hit again from the beginning has been initialized. 공 color score for each are as follows: black + blue = 10-point black + Yellow = 5 points = 3 points black + red black + white = 2 points out of 5 black + white + red = black + red + white = 5 points , each scored two different colored balls mathin hit that ball will be void if the . sikseubol Home 4 handicaps to participate in more than 150 points more than twice the amount of bets and be in possession of the kyumeonireul Extract

http://www2.cueonline.co.kr/board_tip/board_02.asp? ID=19&serch_type=&serch_text=&gotopage=4

http://k.daum.net/qna/view.html?qid=4TcWM
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=pine1481&logNo=40029975385

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went and played some 3c on Saturday and inquired re: the 6-ball rules...and will keep my findings to myself, given phretless' input!

But there is also a 9-ball version.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I was told that is not jumping out at me from the rules posted, contact must be made with the black ball first...then onto another to score.

umbrellashot

Korean 9 ball rules

I learned how to play '9 ball' from the Korean owner of the local pool hall. I usually go there to play 3 cushion on the 10' Horemans table, but on occasion we get a '9 ball' game going with the owner.

This is a gambling ring game. I believe you can play with up to 6 players total, but the most I have played with is 4 total. We play on the 8 foot carom table. The rules are many, and difficult to explain, but i'll try my best.

Equipment:

2 white cue balls (one marked with black dot)
2 red balls
2 yellow balls
2 blue balls
1 black ball of doom :D
6 cards - marked from zero to five. (we use asian playing cards, but you could substitute)
A billiard score counter with multiple player rows​

Opening Setup:

All balls are placed along the lengthwise center line.
The black ball is placed in the center of the table on top of a pool cue ferrule that has been fashioned into a stand. The ferrule is about an inch high. The blue balls are placed on either side of the black ball, along the center line. Next come the yellow balls, then reds. One white cue ball (no dot) is placed against the midpoint of the foot rail. The other cue ball (dot) is placed temporarily against the midpoint of the head rail. All the balls should be evenly spaced: white-red-yellow-blue-black-blue-yellow-red-white.

The cards are then shuffled. For every player in the game, 'deal' out a card and place facedown under successive diamonds along one of the long rails. (The asian cards are small enough not to protrude past the rail.) Above diagram shows cards for 3 player game. 1st players card is at 1st diamond, etc. The remaining cards are placed in a line along the short rail.

Next, you would establish the play order and any handicaps. We usually play short games to 39 points. If there is a player who is not as good as the others, you could give them a 29 point target and the initial break shot. Or maybe give the 'ringer' a target of 69. Rockpaperscissors or coin flips for remaining play order. Target scores are marked on the scoreboard so that points scored are subtracted from one's total.

The break: Always black dot cue ball--anywhere in the kitchen. Must make first contact with the other white cue ball at the foot spot. If a scoring carom is made then player shoots again. Otherwise play continues to next player, alternating cue balls. Typical play is to thin hit the white and have the cue ball come off the rail back into the nearest red for 2 points.

Points are made by making carom billiards like in straightrail. Player remains at the table until he fails to score a billiard, or 'dies' by knocking over the black or by other foul. It is useful for the other players to keep track of the shooting players points while he is at the table. The point values are as follows:

red+white = 2 points
red+red = 3 points
red+red+white = 5 points
yellow+yellow = 5 points
blue+blue = 10 points​

If the cue ball comes into contact with any other ball outside the above combinations, then no points are scored and it becomes the next persons turn. For example:
Player caroms off the other white into one of the reds, for two points--However, after making contact with the red, the cue ball hits a yellow. This nullifies the scoring billiard, no points are scored, and the next player is up.​

The cards are a way to obscure the winning out of each player from the others. When a player reaches 15 points remaining, he may look at his own card. He then subtracts the card value from his point total for his true winning 'out'. Players must land exactly on zero to win.
Player scores a red+red carom for 3 points which takes his total down to 14 points. He then is able to look at his card, which is marked with '4'. He now needs exactly ten points to win. Lucky for him, he has an easy shot on the two blues are gathered together in the corner, which he makes and collects his winnings.​

Upon reaching zero, the game is over, and the others pay out the agreed upon wager.

If at any point in ones turn, the black ball is knocked over, then that player 'dies' and is out until the next game. The black ball is then reset. If a ball is blocking the black ball area, then the that ball's position is swapped with that of the fallen black ball.

A player also gets 'instant death' when: 1) He commits any touch foul, 2) Fails to make contact with a ball in one's turn, 3) jumps any ball off table, 4) Looks at wrong card, 5) goes past zero or brings himself to 1 point remaining. (1 point remaining is not winnable, since the lowest scoring point value is red-white for two points.), 6) uses the bridge :D

Players have a one-time option to buy back into the game after 'dying.' The player makes a decision at the beginning of what would have been his turn. If he decides to come back he resets his points to start value. At this point he may also look at his card. He then may look at one of the cards in the 'pot' along the short rail. He picks whichever one he likes better, and discards the other to an area far from other 'pot' cards. We usually play 5 dollar initial buy in, 3 dollar additional to come back after 'dying.'

If a player dies twice, there is no more buy in.
Players can only buy in if there is an available card in the 'pot.'
If you are the only one to not die in a round of play, then you are the automatic winner--there is no buyback for the others.

(We also play that if a player runs out on his first turn, the others pay out initial+buy back amount.)

If at the end of one's turn, any object ball is close enough to the standing black ball so that a ball cannot pass between them, then that object ball is replaced on the opposite side of the table, in its color's starting position. This does not apply to either cue ball.

Also, if cueball is frozen to any other ball, shooter must shoot away from that ball so as not to disturb it.

Winner has the break in the next game. The player who 'died' first is the second shooter. Then next person who died. Then it goes to coinflips.

More or less, thats how we play. I'm not sure if this is how 9ball is played everywhere, but these are our house rules.

Mind your speed, Have fun, and Watch out for that Black Ball :smile:

Last edited:

phretless

Registered
nine ball question

Thanks for the post. I have been attempting to get these rules for several years. I have one question though. Is it any time the black ball is struck, the player is out, or is it any time the black ball is struck with the cue ball?

umbrellashot

Cueball, object ball, miscue, bumping the table--if any of these result in the black ball falling off the stand, the player 'dies' and his score is reset. If he hasn't already died and there is a new card available, he may choose buy back in on his next turn. One has to account for the paths of all balls. Such a buzzkill to make a tough billiard and have an object ball knock over the black.

There have been numerous times when a ball comes round the table on a track towards the black ball, only to slow up and freeze right on it, or maybe even tilt it a tiny bit. If an object ball is frozen to the black, then it is placed on the opposite side of the black, in the starting position of that color ball. I believe you have to shoot away from black if the cueball is frozen to the black ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned ...Mind your speed, Have fun, and Watch out for that Black Ball :smile:
Yeppers...watch it!

The version they play at the place I see it has no elevated ball and the opening shot sees all balls lined up at center of foot rail in a straight line (from rail toward head of table) and frozen together.

phretless

Registered
black ball stand

What does the stand, that the black ball sits on, look like? Would it be possible to post a pic next time you go?

Thanks
James

umbrellashot

some photos

Here's some pics (US1 Billiards - West Haven, CT):

Stand for the black ball

Cards for randomizing the score

Placement of cards for 3 people playing.
First player's card is the one by the corner, with other players' cards in sequential order along the long rail.

Opening position: cue ball anywhere below 2nd diamond, must hit other white cue ball

Last edited: