The Worst Kind of Sharking

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The SVB cue tip carpet swiping thread caused me to think of something different but related.

Several years back I would often play a guy who was a well known money player in the St. Louis area. He was tough but generally fair action. At one time he had a lot of dough and was even the center of a several week stay here by Jack Cooney and his wife, Barbara

Anywhos, day-to-day, he was OK to play and I'd often get a game with him at $50 a game at which I believe I gave him 10-7. It was tough action for a number of reasons.

First, he could play some

Second, when he had the dough, he was often in the company of a gorgeous stripper from one of the east-side clubs. If you know the STL area you know the room and the neighborhood I'm talking about. It was double-tough to fade these girls, often scantily (but tastefully) dressed with legs and heels and cleavage healthy exposed, winter or summer. Often, they would swing a leg or lean a bit forward when you least expected it.

Then there were the rat terriers. He loved his little dogs, go to the bar, order a hot dog, lovingly cut it up into small morsels and place them on a paper plate under the table you were playing on. The thing was though, upon some unknown signal from their owner, these guys always managed to run out from underneath the table, or utter a barely audible but distinct yelp exactly, right, justly, as you were mid-stroke.

Lastly, he had a number of disgusting habit, not least of which was, as he was walking around the table looking for a shot, and when the need and mood struck him, to place a finger along one side his nose and then give a mighty blow out the other portal.

You got it -- he was blowing his nose straight on the pool hall carpet.

I know you all know that that's not the same as cleaning your cue tip on the pool room carpet but it is not so far removed that you can't see how wrong both are in terms of respect to the establishment you're playing in.

Maybe you have all had to fade similar or worse sharking

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That story started with me wishing I could get sharked like that to being utterly disgusted. I think we can all agree that blowing your nose on the carpet is disgusting.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most places frown on unscrewing your cue while your opponent is at the table and consider it forfeiting.

What do you think about taking your glove off as your opponent successfully breaks and returns to the table from getting their playing cue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
That story started with me wishing I could get sharked like that to being utterly disgusted. I think we can all agree that blowing your nose on the carpet is disgusting.

Hahaha..I was thinking the same. I let pretty girls under my skin just the right amount, get the test going and all but under control.

The snot rocket thing is freakin disgusting lol. I don’t know what I’d do in that situation

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was double-tough to fade these girls, often scantily (but tastefully) dressed with legs and heels and cleavage healthy exposed, winter or summer. Often, they would swing a leg or lean a bit forward when you least expected it.

Good one. Hands down, that is toughest to fade :grin-square:

hf.JPG

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
In the 90's I would play a "Gentleman" who would ALWAYS adjust his "guys" every time we would be in a tough situation. Would make a big production of it. Was funny and the silly part is I think he didn't even realize he was doing it. The money was good so I never mentioned the "pocket pool".

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One of my semi-regular dance partners, Smitty, grew up gambling in Chicago's south side dives - been sharking so long he doesn't even know he's doing it any more. He instinctively, unconsciously finds a way to be in your peripheral view, fidgeting, coughing or talking at (surprise!) just the wrong time.

I'm so used to it now I'm entertained by the creativity - I'd be more distracted if he figured out how to stop doing it. Maybe that's his long game...

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
A very good friend and the guy I have played the most games with in my life has sharked me for decades with a move that would get you knocked out in many places.

John(my buddy) would reach out with his foot or cue and simply touch you in the leg right before you would hit the cue ball. It would always be a critical shot.

There were times that you would expect it and he would not do it...I think that was even worse. John is not a huge fan of the game but he does play ok and has his own table. I have seen him do this sharking move many times over the years and not just to me. I think I remember him doing it to sjm when we were playing 3C billiards in Vegas one night:rotflmao1:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....You got it -- he was blowing his nose straight on the pool hall carpet.

I know you all know that that's not the same as cleaning your cue tip on the pool room carpet but it is not so far removed that you can't see how wrong both are in terms of respect to the establishment you're playing in.

Lou Figueroa

Oh no, thats pretty far removed Lou. Pretty damn far removed..... :thumbup:

There was a douchebag that lived in Alaska for many years, owned a pool hall in Anchorage for some time, originally from Canada. If anyone was around Hard Times in the early 90s, you might remember 'the Roofer' and how annoying he could be.

Anyhow, when he got out, he came back to Alaska and took on a new protege so to speak. A buddy of mine who was regular action. I had gotten the guy up to 500 sets of 9 ball, and only left a set on the table every now and again to keep him coming back.

My buddy knew I couldnt stand 'the Roofer'. Not only did he talk shit incessantly, he had an annoying voice on top of it. Once my buddy figured this out, he would use the guy to shark me.

So one night we were supposed to play, I walk in and there they sit. My buddy gets up and racks, ready to flip for the opening break. I sit on the other side of the room, not even opening my case.

He asks, "Whats up?". I tell him, "We arent playing until the squawk box leaves." The guy got under my skin that badly, and this was not a night I intended my buddy to leave winners.

After almost an hour, he sees that Im serious and asks the guy to leave. We play, but I am still so pissed off, I end up losing the set hill hill.

He wants to play another set, and I am sitting there in silence, pissed off at myself for losing. Mainly Im pissed because I knew what just happened. He starts really hounding me, so I tell him to chill his shit. He says "Whatever man, call me when you want to play" and leaves.

The house man, a mutual friend comes over and asks what happened. He asks, "Ron?". I start laughing and say, "What else?". We laughed and played a few sets before I took off for the night.

Sadly my wife had some serious health issues not long after that, and I never got saw that nickel again.

Bothers me to this day that I left money on the table that way, but I was way up on the guy, so I cant complain too much. :wink2:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When Efren first came over to the states, he'd be playing and blow a rocket
into the trash can.. I think it was Grady who told him to stop that!

I used to play an older gentleman some One Pocket.. the guy could play
some, but his shark was the "why me" act, always crying about adjusting,
getting weight, shaking his head... just non-stop nitting:rolleyes:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After seeing that other thread, doubt that. Probably some that think that would be just fine.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I enjoy even competition. I just don't play people that do stuff like that anymore because it takes the joy out of it.

The SVB cue tip carpet swiping thread caused me to think of something different but related.

Several years back I would often play a guy who was a well known money player in the St. Louis area. He was tough but generally fair action. At one time he had a lot of dough and was even the center of a several week stay here by Jack Cooney and his wife, Barbara

Anywhos, day-to-day, he was OK to play and I'd often get a game with him at $50 a game at which I believe I gave him 10-7. It was tough action for a number of reasons.

Second, when he had the dough, he was often in the company of a gorgeous stripper from one of the east-side clubs. If you know the STL area you know the room and the neighborhood I'm talking about. It was double-tough to fade these girls, often scantily (but tastefully) dressed with legs and heels and cleavage healthy exposed, winter or summer. Often, they would swing a leg or lean a bit forward when you least expected it.

Then there were the dachshunds. He loved his little weenier dogs, go to the bar, order a hot dog, lovingly cut it up into small morsels and place them on a paper plate under the table you were playing on. The thing was though, upon some unknown signal from their owner, these guys always managed to run out from underneath the table, or utter a barely audible but distinct yelp exactly, right, justly, as you were mid-stroke.

Lastly, he had a number of disgusting habit, not least of which was, as he was walking around the table looking for a shot, and when the need and mood struck him, to place a finger along one side his nose and then give a mighty blow out the other portal.

Lou Figueroa

Reactions: KRJ

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...sounds pretty mellow, compared to the ring game group I used to play with.
Dollar on the 5 and 2 on the 9...no holds barred. People would kick legs or tap elbows, sneak up on you and shout in your ear, hide the chalk, throw the chalk at you, forget to pay at the end of each game, claim they had paid when the hadn't.

Ahh, the things a man will do to avoid real work.

Good times.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Then there were the dachshunds. He loved his little weenier dogs, go to the bar, order a hot dog, lovingly cut it up into small morsels and place them on a paper plate under the table you were playing on. The thing was though, upon some unknown signal from their owner, these guys always managed to run out from underneath the table, or utter a barely audible but distinct yelp exactly, right, justly, as you were mid-stroke.

Lou Figueroa

Having a coach in your corner and claim he was just there for spiritual support , count ?

That dude picking up the chalk next to Aranas while Aranas was shooting.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure it was sharking or not, but at I think 1-5 in vegas last week filler dropped his chalk in what appeared to be CJL shotline, left it there right in front of him until Chang ran out.
thought that was interesting.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...sounds pretty mellow, compared to the ring game group I used to play with.
Dollar on the 5 and 2 on the 9...no holds barred. People would kick legs or tap elbows, sneak up on you and shout in your ear, hide the chalk, throw the chalk at you, forget to pay at the end of each game, claim they had paid when the hadn't.

Ahh, the things a man will do to avoid real work.

Good times.

The bangers I play with now dont understand sheettalking. I wouldnt play with them if it wasnt easy money. Hard to keep my mouth shut so as not to hurt their feelings.:thumbup:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
That is MORE than gross. I'd walk over, hand him the $50, and tell if he needs it that made take it, then go buy a handkerchief. I'm not fading that shit for $50.
If anyone thinks it ONLY got on the carpet is fooling themselves :) lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is MORE than gross. I'd walk over, hand him the $50, and tell if he needs it that made take it, then go buy a handkerchief. I'm not fading that shit for $50.
If anyone thinks it ONLY got on the carpet is fooling themselves :) lol

ahh, such a delicate flower.

I guess you pay no attention to the drunks pissing and vomiting outside on the sidewalk you walk on, the countless passersby who spit on your pathway, and the dogs who urinate and shit on the yellow brick road to the pool hall.

Lou Figueroa

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha, well this reminded me of a story. I was playing my nemesis a set for 200 about 20 years ago. He was in love with a lady who was the gf of my buddy. (we were all pool hall buddies, including my opponent). I paid her 20 and her time to play on the table next to us. I won the set:)

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Ha ha, well this reminded me of a story. I was playing my nemesis a set for 200 about 20 years ago. He was in love with a lady who was the gf of my buddy. (we were all pool hall buddies, including my opponent). I paid her 20 and her time to play on the table next to us. I won the set:)

Lol that’s pretty funny. I’d definitely be more distracted by a pretty girl playing than watching.

Did they ever hook up? I don’t like unrequited love.