Silver Member
Don’t care what the NYTimes says.
Don’t care what the BCA says.
Don’t care what Guinness says.
Don’t care what JS’s homies say.

Show me the video.

Lou Figueroa
unedited :)

Yeah, I think making 626 balls in less than four hours is a lot of balls.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thirty seconds per ball.

You do the math.

John played twice that fast in his high-run attempts until he got past a couple hundred.

From my thread on John's run of 434:

• ■ Pace of play -- From striking the first break shot to pocketing the 434th ball (i.e., excluding racking for Rack 32 and the final failed break shot), the elapsed time was about 2 hours 5½ minutes. This is just over 4 minutes per rack, or 3½ balls per minute or 17.3 sec. per ball. The first 14 racks averaged 3.0 minutes per rack; the last 17 racks averaged 4.9 minutes per rack. The elapsed time included racking and one timeout of about 2¼ minutes in Rack 31.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How long do you reckon it should take a feller to make 626 balls? ...
It should take them about four hours or preferably less.

In one match I remember well, Thorsten Hohmann ran 100 (and out) in 26 minutes. At that pace he would run 626 in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t care what the NYTimes says.
Don’t care what the BCA says.
Don’t care what Guinness says.
Don’t care what JS’s homies say.
Show me the video.
Lou Figueroa
unedited :)
Don't care what the history books say about Mosconi's 526.
Don't care what Guiness says about Mosconi's 526.
Don't care what Mosconi's homies say.
Don't care who signed avadavits over Mosconi's 526.
Show me the movie film.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should take them about four hours or preferably less.

In one match I remember well, Thorsten Hohmann ran 100 (and out) in 26 minutes. At that pace he would run 626 in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Just to show you how fast Mosconi was, according to his autobiography he made his record run in two hours and ten minutes -- four balls a minute.

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Just to show you how fast Mosconi was, according to his autobiography he made his record run in two hours and ten minutes -- four balls a minute.

Lou Figueroa
Do you think it happened?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think it happened?
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This is not for you personally...just a repeat comment of mine for the "mosconi nuthuggers" and nothing more.
"Don't care what the history books say about Mosconi's 526.
Don't care what Guiness says about Mosconi's 526.
Don't care what Mosconi's homies say.
Don't care who signed avadavits over Mosconi's 526.
Show me the movie film"

:) ;)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to watch John's attempts four times, three in Monterey and once in Phoenix. I witnessed the 390 and the 420 completely and in person. Based on the very high percentage John had getting into the next rack and the months he spent in the attempt, he was actually odds-on to break Mosconi's record.

There was no need to fake anything since he was capable of actually breaking the record and I'm confident that he did.

I watched a couple of those runs where he got over 400. It's impressive he kept grinding. Some people might have quit out of frustration after getting that close and missing.

I have an accustats player analysis video with John Schmidt and Pat Fleming doing commentary on a Schmidt run. I wonder is that's what he is doing now and why it's taking so long to get it released. A run with commentary would probably sell more copies than without.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Always know your sources.... Congrats John Schmidt!!! BCA has made it official so anyone that was casting shade has been rendered moot.... As you can read Mosconi's runn took 4.5 hours...

John 626 Letter2.jpg

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Cool
Lemme know when theres a vid though
More interested to see that than anything else

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always know your sources.... Congrats John Schmidt!!! BCA has made it official so anyone that was casting shade has been rendered moot.... As you can read Mosconi's runn took 4.5 hours...

View attachment 527832

About time baby!!!!!!

John S. may not be the #1 all-around player. Heck he may not be the 14.1 tournament player or the best 14.1 player for the cheese but, when it comes to "who can put the biggest run up?", well....lol... ole John has always been "one" of the best on the planet.

Today and until someone grows big enough cojones to run 627+ balls (no pun intended...lol ), ole John is the best 14.1 player on the PLANET in an exhibition type setting.

NOBODY....regardless of how jealous they are or regardless of their opinions of John Schmidt are can say even one word edgewise as to who is the best 14.1 exhibition player.

I hope everyone on the planet trys to break his record but, even if they do, I don't see John's "highest run of all time.....with proof baby!" being toppled anytime soon.

CONGRATULATIONS John Schmidt.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to watch John's attempts four times, three in Monterey and once in Phoenix. I witnessed the 390 and the 420 completely and in person. Based on the very high percentage John had getting into the next rack and the months he spent in the attempt, he was actually odds-on to break Mosconi's record.

There was no need to fake anything since he was capable of actually breaking the record and I'm confident that he did.

Bob, anyone thats ever been around John Schmidt when he was "in gear" and playing 14.1, knew all to well that he is one of the few individuals on the planet that had the potential to beat Willie's exhibition record.

Anyone that's not 14.1 challenged knows John is one of the greatest 14.1 exhibitionist to ever pick up a cue.

I would love to see him catch that gear in competition. Maybe we'll get to see it.

Jeff

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that John ran all the balls he claims and I say that was truly a tremendous accomplishment. Yet I still have tremendous issues with the entire way this whole thing was orchestrated:

1. Mosconi's run was PART of a competitive match, even though it was an exhibition- Mosconi had to play against an opponent for the first 150 points - John's was a solo session in its entirety.

2. Mosconi played in a strange room in front of a strange crowd in a strange town in the middle of night upon night of exhibition travel - John set this all up in one room on one table that he set up to be as easy as possible. I am a 75 ball runner every day on the equipment and pocket sizes John selected, but I struggle at runs half that amount on Diamond 4 1/2 pro cut pockets - John chose to use NOT the standard equipment of pros today, to me that was a cop-out- you are a 20019 pro so use that equipment!

3. I would consider John's record a "practice" record, NOT a competitive or "Exhibition" record - to me it was definitely neither competitive/ exhibition- or a combination in any form what so ever. I think the BCA was very clear in their release to NOT label John's accomplishment as an exhibition record.

4. Honestly I am 100% convinced that Mosconi and several others could have run more than John did if there was any serious motivation to do this - I will include guys like Mike Eufemia, George Rood, Harold Worst just as a starting point of other guys who had that level of 14.1 talent- just no reason to sit in a room for months at a time trying to do this! I still don't know why he did this - I mean- it was estimated that Babe Ruth received 3,000 pitches the year he hit 60 homers- NOBODY locked themselves in a ballpark day after day and counted how many batting practice homers they hit for every 3,000 pitches received- it would seem ridiculous to anyone- yet basically that it what John did for the run record!

5. As I said- I am sure John accomplished this run and Congrats to him for what it is due.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe that John ran all the balls he claims and I say that was truly a tremendous accomplishment. Yet I still have tremendous issues with the entire way this whole thing was orchestrated:

1. Mosconi's run was PART of a competitive match, even though it was an exhibition- Mosconi had to play against an opponent for the first 150 points - John's was a solo session in its entirety.

2. Mosconi played in a strange room in front of a strange crowd in a strange town in the middle of night upon night of exhibition travel - John set this all up in one room on one table that he set up to be as easy as possible. I am a 75 ball runner every day on the equipment and pocket sizes John selected, but I struggle at runs half that amount on Diamond 4 1/2 pro cut pockets - John chose to use NOT the standard equipment of pros today, to me that was a cop-out- you are a 20019 pro so use that equipment!

3. I would consider John's record a "practice" record, NOT a competitive or "Exhibition" record - to me it was definitely neither competitive/ exhibition- or a combination in any form what so ever. I think the BCA was very clear in their release to NOT label John's accomplishment as an exhibition record.

4. Honestly I am 100% convinced that Mosconi and several others could have run more than John did if there was any serious motivation to do this - I will include guys like Mike Eufemia, George Rood, Harold Worst just as a starting point of other guys who had that level of 14.1 talent- just no reason to sit in a room for months at a time trying to do this! I still don't know why he did this - I mean- it was estimated that Babe Ruth received 3,000 pitches the year he hit 60 homers- NOBODY locked themselves in a ballpark day after day and counted how many batting practice homers they hit for every 3,000 pitches received- it would seem ridiculous to anyone- yet basically that it what John did for the run record!

5. As I said- I am sure John accomplished this run and Congrats to him for what it is due.

That sir was a back handed compliment if I ever heard one. I think that one thing John proved with his quest was how difficult it truly is to run 500+ balls. I'm not sure we will see anyone else try to duplicate or surpass what he's done for a long time.