My Favorite Meucci Cues

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This might belong in the Cue Gallery forum, but I tend to think that those who participate in that forum are generally looking at non-production cues. This particular post goes I think far enough away from the photo gallery concept that I think it belongs in the Main Forum. Maybe JustinB will have good input.

Cameo

The cue on the right is what I call the Brooch Cue, and what Meucci calls the Cameo Cue. Meucci inlaid several cameos in the butt plate and points to make a unique look. I have no idea whom Bob was targeting demographically, but it being one of the more outrageous esthetic cue designs for a production cue catches my attention. The cue has the standard sealed Meucci wrap, and the 5/16-18 flat face and insert joint with which we all are familiar.

OL-5

The cue on the left started life as a Oldie Series OL-5. Unfortunately, its original, exuberant owner accidentally introduced it to an overhead fan, which promptly circumcised it... at the joint. He offered the broken butt to me for the reasonable price of a steak dinner. $30 according to him. Thank goodness in his choice of steak houses.

Anyway, to fix it, I sent it to Ryan Theewen (RAT Cues and Mueller) to fix it. I asked him to create a joint and blend it up to for a 3/8-10 flat faced, 0.840" joint. Normally, the Meucci is a smaller diameter, and the Oldie series had an SS joint. I also asked for an exposed, pressed black Irish Linen wrap.

The result is a good looking, great hitting cue that fits any 3/8-10 flat face at around .840" diameter. In the photo, it's clear where the repair started, but only because hi res photo capability. Unless you knew there was a repair to look for, you'd never know it's there.

I don't know the timeline, but I believe I had this cue created before Meucci release the BMC cue that have 3/8-10 joints. I'm sure. bob played with this idea years before and maybe he released this kind of joint previously.

Anyone looking for that impossible repair, consider Ryan Theewen.

Freddie <~~~ not Meucci bashing today

Attachments

• IMG_6149.jpg
    IMG_6149.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_6152.jpg
    IMG_6152.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci made a hoppe cue that I havent seen in any catalog, but I have seen a few examples and I thought they were pretty classy looking. The veneers were good, not great, but really good.

I think they have made about a billion of the "Gambler" cues and everyone I have seen the owner has told me it is was a rare one. :thumbup:

The Road Agent cue, was a very clever way to make a unique cue.

Ken

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I always like the Rose cues, specifically the one with the white forearm.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci made a hoppe cue that I havent seen in any catalog, but I have seen a few examples and I thought they were pretty classy looking. The veneers were good, not great, but really good.

I think they have made about a billion of the "Gambler" cues and everyone I have seen the owner has told me it is was a rare one. :thumbup:

Ken

You used to live in Memphis and should be aware that meuccis are pretty popular in this area being meucci is located here.

The gambler model is pretty popular and I know several people that have one....myself included . No one I know around here thinks they are a rare model but yea I guess some one would think that because no one I know will sell theirs.

I had an older model gambler that I wish I had kept. A guy I knew from playing at a bar bugged me every time he saw me about selling him my gambler. One day I mentioned I liked his brand new predator blak 4. He offered to trade it to me for my gambler and I agreed. Wound up giving the predator to a now ex girlfriend lol..

Cornerman .....i really dig those 2 cues.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
The Cameo/brooch is one of my favourite Meucci designs. Bob's stuff has a certain charm, a little je ne sais quoi if you will. Almost pulled the trigger on a modern one 10 years ago but had seen too many problematic moochies at the time and thought better of it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like so many cue makers the cues that Bob made himself were very good playing cues and at one time in the 1980's many of the top players were using them. To this day Cliff Joyner swears by the Meucci flat faced cues.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Like so many cue makers the cues that Bob made himself were very good playing cues and at one time in the 1980's many of the top players were using them. To this day Cliff Joyner swears by the Meucci flat faced cues.

I agree wholeheartedly. the old meuccis were really something else. sweet playing cues

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cameo's always been a favorite.

I prefer the other design in the power piston 4.

I think it would really be something if a group of top custom builder's each reproduced one of Meucci's top designs as a tribute to Bob.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
The cameo might be my 2nd favorite design from Meucci. My 1st is the newer BMC Black Glass Rose. Pictures the cue looks amazing but actually seeing it in person makes it even better.

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

Hey Ken,

The Meucci hoppe cue that your looking for is
in the 1st brochure (catalog) of Meucci.
The one with people holding cues in boat with
Join the revolution for the header.

Mike

P.S. I still have that Meucci original brochure.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice Meucci's. Here's my one and only. In 1979 I bought a Gandy Hustler and this 2 prong Meucci. It had a white/green wrap. Many years later i had the wrapped changed and shaft reduced to 12mm. I always enjoyed playing with it and the price of ownership. Sorry I didn't buy that model in a 4 prong.

Attachments

• IMG_6833.jpg
    IMG_6833.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_6835.jpg
    IMG_6835.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max Eberle played with a new Meucci cue last week at the World14.1 and told me he loves it! My favorites include the oldie Bushka model and the oldie Airplane cue- which I own both as models 95-17 and 95-19 and they are still great playing cues 20+ years later

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played first with an Oldie 2 (new logo) and after that with a 95-28. I loved both especially the 95-28 because you couldn´t find a handful of them in Germany in the 90th. But my alltime favorite is the Star of David (DH-3).

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Ken

Believe you're thinking of the MO-5, below.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Meucci First.jpg
    Meucci First.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 445

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I've seen most of these and owned the mo-6. The mo-11 however, I have NEVER seen anywhere.

Interesting you should mention the MO-11. I've only seen one, and heard of a second. Fairly well known Mid-Atlantic player Tommy Kaye, who played local tournaments, as well as the senior tour in the 90s and 00s owned one. Tommy and I talked about it, and from my recollection, he was only aware of two. One went to him, and one went to Jim Rempe. That's about all I know about the MO-11.

I've only seen a few examples of the MO-5, which Ken referred to; it was a pretty rare bird I think.

All the best,
WW