International 9-ball - Final Three Thoughts

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a couple of notes about the tourney for me:

Jayson Shaw

I’m a fan of Jayson Shaw, since watching him live at the venue a few times. And I’m a bigger fan now. His final matches were just spectacular, fearless, and basically awesome. Also, It may not have been obvious but everything was right about his celebration. Max Lechner folded a bit (four horrendous mistakes in the last five or so games), and was clearly feeling the heat of the moment. Upon sinking the last ball, Jayson silently walked to Max, shook hands and consoled first with his opponent, and then roared out with his signature shout outs and fist pumps with the crowd. That’s how champions who have been there do it.

Jayson also brought the champion’s interview closer to what we see in golf. His kids came out with him to do the interview with Ra Hanna. When pool players are still looked upon as sole predators and gunslingers, Jayson looked like he really would rather just be with his family. It was very sweet. How many times can you say that about a pool player like Jayson Shaw? If you weren’t a fan of his before, you should be now.

Maximillian “Young Hannibal” Lechner

Congratulations to Max Lechner, who I felt really was playing at time best of anyone, but even in big leads, he did let some squander away before finishing. He’s already a champion, and he’ll only get better. His match against Filler was one for the ages and one for the future. They were back and forth until 8-8 when Max ran out the set silently while Filler was frozen in the Electric Chair.

They’d been calling him Mad Max or Mad Max 2.0 (Ken Shuman). Since pool already has a Mad Max, I (and others) have been calling him Hannibal Lechner. Upon thinking about it a bit more, I’m going to call him Young Hannibal from here on out. He‘’ll shoot your liver out, and then he’ll eat it with some fava beans an a nice bottle of Chianti.

Justin Bergman

Justin Bergman... amazing tournament. Definitely played better than any other American, and at times was only second to Lechner in getting the break down and having easy outs. But, here’s the rub. Should he be considered for Mosconi? Sure, but Mosconi doesn’t favor gunslingers. And Justin still was showing the gunslinger mentality, which is great for him. But Mosconi is a race to 5, don’t give a game away affair. I’ll take Justin on a long race where once he gets grooved, he’s nearly impossible to stop. For the Mosconi, Johan would need to convince the gunslinger to keep that gun holstered more, IMO.

Joshua Filler

I’ll be his fan one day, but I’m not there yet. But his play is spectacular. He’s reminding me of when I first saw Sigel play in that he plays great patterns, but then once in a while it’s a head scratcher. But he buries the shot in the center without much fanfare, so I end up re-thinking what the “right pattern” is. That’s how Sigel was. So much firepower that his standard patterns included much tougher shots than other pros in his time were playing for. I think Filler is the best 9-ball player currently, and I expect him to win this event in the future.

Freddie <~~~ one man’s wrong opinion

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If Max could have just two shots back...could’ve been a different champion...
...the 2-ball he hung down the long rail....can’t recall him missing that before.
....and the 1-ball he miscued on....he wasn’t going too far from center....
...could’ve done it with no chalk on the tip.

But Jayson’s out on the last game was one of the best clutch outs I’ve seen...
...the starting two jump shots....and pumping in the longish 6-ball with whitey near the rail
....Eagle Eye can bring when the heat is on.

And when Jayson morphs to the family man...a pleasure to behold.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break rules were not such a big factor after all.

A man of his talents should just play and let his shooting do the talking.

He's done well on all fronts....all the results of God given talent abd a ton of effort.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hannibal.. might stick. he is kind of a torturer. yes, this is his biggest non-junior achievement. he has gotten deep in some eurotour events but afaik never reached a final

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Jayson Shaw

I’m a fan of Jayson Shaw, since watching him live at the venue a few times. And I’m a bigger fan now. His final matches were just spectacular, fearless, and basically awesome. Also, It may not have been obvious but everything was right about his celebration. Max Lechner folded a bit (four horrendous mistakes in the last five or so games), and was clearly feeling the heat of the moment. Upon sinking the last ball, Jayson silently walked to Max, shook hands and consoled first with his opponent, and then roared out with his signature shout outs and fist pumps with the crowd. That’s how champions who have been there do it.

Jayson also brought the champion’s interview closer to what we see in golf. His kids came out with him to do the interview with Ra Hanna. When pool players are still looked upon as sole predators and gunslingers, Jayson looked like he really would rather just be with his family. It was very sweet. How many times can you say that about a pool player like Jayson Shaw? If you weren’t a fan of his before, you should be now.

Congratulations to Max Lechner, who I felt really was playing at time best of anyone, but even in big leads, he did let some squander away before finishing. He’s already a champion, and he’ll only get better. His match against Filler was one for the ages and one for the future. They were back and forth until 8-8 when Max ran out the set silently while Filler was frozen in the Electric Chair.

They’d been calling him Mad Max or Mad Max 2.0 (Ken Shuman). Since pool already has a Mad Max, I (and others) have been calling him Hannibal Lechner. Upon thinking about it a bit more, I’m going to call him Young Hannibal from here on out. He‘’ll shoot your liver out, and then he’ll eat it with some fava beans an a nice bottle of Chianti.

Justin Bergman

Justin Bergman... amazing tournament. Definitely played better than any other American, and at times was only second to Lechner in getting the break down and having easy outs. But, here’s the rub. Should he be considered for Mosconi? Sure, but Mosconi doesn’t favor gunslingers. And Justin still was showing the gunslinger mentality, which is great for him. But Mosconi is a race to 5, don’t give a game away affair. I’ll take Justin on a long race where once he gets grooved, he’s nearly impossible to stop. For the Mosconi, Johan would need to convince the gunslinger to keep that gun holstered more, IMO.

Joshua Filler

I’ll be his fan one day, but I’m not there yet. But his play is spectacular. He’s reminding me of when I first saw Sigel play in that he plays great patterns, but then once in a while it’s a head scratcher. But he buries the shot in the center without much fanfare, so I end up re-thinking what the “right pattern” is. That’s how Sigel was. So much firepower that his standard patterns included much tougher shots than other pros in his time were playing for. I think Filler is the best 9-ball player currently, and I expect him to win this event in the future.

Good recap here Freddie. I like your capsule analysis of each player. I will only disagree on one point. I think Justin is a great choice for the MC. He teams well with Shane, Sky and Billy and he can play under pressure. He may have been our best player in the prior MC's he played in. This year I think we could use him to have any chance to win. After his sterling performance this week Justin would be a surprise pick for Team USA, and might be cause for a little concern from Team Europe. You and I both know that the chance of him getting picked now is very small anyway, but I say why not!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Justin still was showing the gunslinger mentality, which is great for him. But Mosconi is a race to 5, don’t give a game away affair.

Can you expand on this? I know gunslinger is a metaphor for some style of play, but I guess I don’t know what it is. He definitely has a tighter, position-play style compared to Shaw and Filler, who are more shotmakers, so that’s not it.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hannibal.. might stick. he is kind of a torturer. yes, this is his biggest non-junior achievement. he has gotten deep in some eurotour events but afaik never reached a final

He said he was nervous and still made the final.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jayson Shaw

Justin Bergman

Joshua Filler

Wow! Great, great observations. I like all of them. One man's opinion is right, I think. :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you expand on this? I know gunslinger is a metaphor for some style of play, but I guess I don’t know what it is. He definitely has a tighter, position-play style compared to Shaw and Filler, who are more shotmakers, so that’s not it.
At the risk of insulting a professional that I have all the respect in the world...

Sometimes he goes for the hero bank or hero position that when he’s grooved in, he flows through and makes them all. Josh and Jayson are the elite of shotmakers, so even though they are also gunslingers, they’re make percentage in pressure situations are outrageous. So they're a tough comparison. I dont put Justin at that level of shotmaking and stroke.

In simpler terms, I see Justin eschewing the safer play for the more bold and daring, which sometimes costs him. I think Johan could temper that.

Freddie

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the risk of insulting a professional that I have all the respect in the world...

Sometimes he goes for the hero bank or hero position that when he’s grooved in, he flows through and makes them all. Josh and Jayson are the elite of shotmakers, so even though they are also gunslingers, they’re make percentage in pressure situations are outrageous. So they're a tough comparison. I dont put Justin at that level of shotmaking and stroke.

In simpler terms, I see Justin eschewing the safer play for the more bold and daring, which sometimes costs him. I think Johan could temper that.

Freddie

Once again, I agree with this observation. This is really true. The mental preparedness going into an action match is quite different than going into a Mosconi Cup. Tournament play is also different than action. With action, as long as you have money, you can keep going and going and going. With tournaments and the Cup, once you miss a shot or make a bad move, you lose. Game over. You don't get a second chance or another play like you would in a video game. Action, you can play again and again, as long as you have money to keep going. So the pressure to make shots is different, I think.

You said it better than me, though. :eek:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, as far as the Fillers and the Shaws, I really like Joshua and Jayson. They connect with their fan base and appreciate any cheer or "bravo" or "congratulations" thrown their way.

I enjoy Joshua's emotion. He's so young, and I think he's going quite well handling his pool celebrity-ness, if that's a word. Thank goodness, he has a good woman to keep him sane.

I don't know how Jayson does it, balancing his family and pool career, but he does. I really admire this about him.