Right eye dominate, but play left handed?

kranamorse

Here's the deal, I started playing pool without much instruction, and randomly started playing left handed. Now I am trying to become more serious with my game and am wondering if it's worth switching to my right hand, as I am right eye dominate. Do you guys think the switch is justified? Or would I be better off staying with whats comfortable and playing left handed?

Thanks!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the deal, I started playing pool without much instruction, and randomly started playing left handed. Now I am trying to become more serious with my game and am wondering if it's worth switching to my right hand, as I am right eye dominate. Do you guys think the switch is justified? Or would I be better off staying with whats comfortable and playing left handed?

Thanks!

I did not, but my son made the switch from right handed left eye to playing with his left hand. He's been playing lefty for a while now, and got good enough that he was able to beat Jayson Shaw not long ago playing lefty :grin:

From seeing how he plays now lefty it may be worth it for you, his mechanics are better and he seems to focus more on the shot. I am guessing because he had to basically re-learn how to play. You may want to find an instructor or at least someone around you that is a good player that studies the game and understands how the stance and mechanics of the stroke work to play with you while you try things so you can get feedback outside of your own view.

I'm sure your ability to swap will be different but I think it took him maybe a year to get to like 80% of his stroke and probably 100% or better of his aim lefty vs his natural right hand. His issue was that he kept missing shots and never felt totally comfortable with his right hand shooting, so left handed he can make the shots a bit better but just can't move the cueball as far.

It's also a huge advantage with reach on shots if you can swap hands.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Develop both hands

Just starting out is a good time to develop the ability to shoot with either hand.

I am right handed and left eye aiming. I have developed the left hand to very near the right. I notice no difference in the aiming.

There are a lot of shots that are awkward with one hand and natural with the other.

Efren Reyes and Ronnie O’Sullivan switch hands with no perceptible difference.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

So am I. Eye dominance is way overrated. You can play as good as you want. No worries. Go practice.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story, When I was young(like 11, 12) I got a book by joe davis, I followed his instruction to a tee, even buying a tie and vest, never knew he was blind in one eye,until I joined these forums. Anyways, I started shooting lefty and the eye position was drastically different than shooting right handed

I still shoot my best pool left handed, and play better position right handed.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

Some of the greatest players in the world shoot / shot under the “opposite eye.

Mosconi
Cisero
Buddy Hall
Jayson Shaw
Mark Selby

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I play right handed, left eye dominate and I don’t feel it hinders me enough to switch. I will say if I were to start over again, I would start lefty. The biggest thing holding me back is myself but not eye dominance specifically.

Rodney

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eye Dominance

I also shoot lefty with a right dominant eye. In June 2018 I came back to the game after about a 20 year layoff. I found this forum and read about eye dominance which caused me to investigate it. I started shooting right handed on shots that required it and even with a very shaky stroke my aiming and pocketing seemed to be pretty good. I did toy with the idea of changing hands but instead I have just practiced my right hand enough so that I feel confident when a shot comes up where that is helpful.
I hope to continue improving my right hand so that other than the break I will always feel confident shooting with either hand.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mosconi
Cisero
Buddy Hall
Jayson Shaw
Mark Selby

What do you mean, I hoped you could clarify Fred, was Willie left or right eye dominate? Or when you say opposite does that just imply, right handed with cue under left eye and visa versa?

Do you know which players played with cue not under dominate eye? Thanks for ur insight.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Kranamorse - you should look up some videos about “vision center”

It’s good to be able to switch hands when you need to but I wouldn’t try changing your natural style because of eye dominance. You could learn to play with the cue way over to one side or the other if you practiced enough but there is a natural point somewhere that will make a straight in shot look straight in for you. I’m right eye dominant but my ideal cue location is slightly left of center on my chin.

kranamorse

Thanks for all the replies guys, much to think about.....leaning more towards staying lefty at the moment :) I didn't know all those greats were cross eyed dominate!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Mosconi
Cisero
Buddy Hall
Jayson Shaw
Mark Selby

Good post they improvised, adapted, and over came. These people were not disabled, they were different, and adapted.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you mean, I hoped you could clarify Fred, was Willie left or right eye dominate? Or when you say opposite does that just imply, right handed with cue under left eye and visa versa?

Do you know which players played with cue not under dominate eye? Thanks for ur insight.

All the players that I listed hold the cue under their opposite (inside) eye by a considerable margin. Right-handed under the left eye and left-hander under the right eye. I don’t want to use the term “dominant eye,” since that term is misleading in our sport. or in baseball for that matter.

Freddie <~~~ under the inside

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I am Left Handed, Left Eye Dominant. Shoot Pool Left Handed. Rifle or Shotgun I shoot Right Handed. The Rifle / Shotgun thing I do better then many even thought I use wrong eye. Pistol I am better with the Left, but almost as good with Right

People can, do adapt, and excell sometime by not doing thing by the book.

Friend has nephew who is in the IDF, Isreal Defense Force. He was telling me the IDF has a section of people with Autism who work in the Intelligence Division. Apprently their ability to see things different then what I will call "normal people', is a plus sometimes figuring out things those "normal folks" miss why trying to solve problems, or figure out a problems.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
All the players that I listed hold the cue under their opposite (inside) eye by a considerable margin. Right-handed under the left eye and left-hander under the right eye. I don’t want to use the term “dominant eye,” since that term is misleading in our sport. or in baseball for that matter.

Freddie <~~~ under the inside

I guess I’ve never thought about my cue being under one eye or the other. Next time I play I’ll have to see where I line it up.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read any replies
my 2 cents
it will be easier for you to adjust playing with your dominant hand and finding your vision center
than trying to learn how to play with your non dominant hand
jmho

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i havent read any replies
my 2 cents
it will be easier for you to adjust playing with your dominant hand and finding your vision center
than trying to learn how to play with your non dominant hand
jmho

What if I play with my non dominate hand, and learned from a youngster to play that way?

Do you think it would have been easier for me? Because I had no idea on how to hold a

stick, but figured that the important part, was the part closest to the cue ball.. I cut two

of my tendons in my bridge hand, and played with my dominate hand for about 3 months.

I could not make anything, that is until I moved my vision center to where it should be.

Now not afraid of any shot, other than a powerful break, or stroke shot. Play patterns

better too, because I do not have the capabilities to move whitey all around the table...

And that aspect alone helped me out tremendously. No reason not to shoot with both

hands, nothing but good things will come from it.