You're a pro?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
What is a pro in pool anyway? To me it's someone who makes a living at it, or a substantial part of their income is derived from playing and/or sponsorship. And it doesn't have to be tournaments. A road player qualifies.

It's just that in pool, as opposed to golf for instance, the status between pro and amateur is different. I'm certainly an amateur pool player but if I play in a tournament I'm entitled to the same pay-out as any pro entered in the same event. In a golf tournament if I'm entered as an amateur I am then not entitled to any payout. I think the pro/amateur thing in pool is more akin to the poker thing.

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a pro in pool anyway? To me it's someone who makes a living at it, or a substantial part of their income is derived from playing and/or sponsorship. And it doesn't have to be tournaments. A road player qualifies.

It's just that in pool, as opposed to golf for instance, the status between pro and amateur is different. I'm certainly an amateur pool player but if I play in a tournament I'm entitled to the same pay-out as any pro entered in the same event. In a golf tournament if I'm entered as an amateur I am then not entitled to any payout. I think the pro/amateur thing in pool is more akin to the poker thing.

in my book, you are not a "professional" unless you are a member of a recognized professional association such as the WPBA.

If you are good enough to be a sanctioned professional and choose not to be so that you can hit the road and deceive people of your abilities... you are, in technical terms, a "waste".

I think if you are good enough and spend the same amount of time playing as a real professional who makes their livelihood through the sport and you don't go for the titles and upper echelon achievements, you are really misguided in some way. I know of a few guys like this that could be in the top 50 in the world but choose not to be so they can continue the hustle, I think it's sad.

Ilike1pocket

Registered
Sorry, I think your wrong. The Top Pool Player in the world does not make what the lowest golfer does (Pro).

The only Pool Player that got out with any type money was "The Miz" from his Just Showing off commercials that he invested in himself on his name on cues.

He had to fly overseas and put up his own money.

Three years later they were flying here begging.

Pools the greatest sport in the world, but don't get in for the money.

heath730

Registered
in my book, you are not a "professional" unless you are a member of a recognized professional association such as the WPBA.

If you are good enough to be a sanctioned professional and choose not to be so that you can hit the road and deceive people of your abilities... you are, in technical terms, a "waste".

I think if you are good enough and spend the same amount of time playing as a real professional who makes their livelihood through the sport and you don't go for the titles and upper echelon achievements, you are really misguided in some way. I know of a few guys like this that could be in the top 50 in the world but choose not to be so they can continue the hustle, I think it's sad.

Can you really blame them? there is much more money huslting then playing in tournaments, It's tough to make a living playing in tournaments unless you're like top 25 in the world. Staying on the road they can make a killing.

cuedaddy

Banned
Even being top 25,, Dont you think its hard.. The time invested.. the nerves. the time spent in PR.. Sleep patternts.. Not a good payoff in my mind, Unless you truly enjoy the game to death

PoolChump

Banned
Professional Pool Player

The definition of "professional" is making a living at a particular profession. But, when playing a pool tournament that is handicapped, a professional player are considered high level or top level players whether they may a living playing pool or not. :rolleyes:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Top 50 in the world huh? Are they named New York and Arizona? Gimme a break
Jason

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top 50 in the world huh? Are they named New York and Arizona? Gimme a break
Jason

I ran into a guy who fits this description a month or two ago. Nobody knew who he was until weeks after he left town and had destroyed a very good player gambling. Who knows maybe he is still on the road doing the same thing. He doesn't live in the US so most people have no clue what his name is here or how good he plays.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have no idea what you're talking about. The days of "hustlers" roaming the roads "making a living" have been over for many years. You might get hustled by a better amateur player locally, but there's nobody making a killing playing the road. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Can you really blame them? there is much more money huslting then playing in tournaments, It's tough to make a living playing in tournaments unless you're like top 25 in the world. Staying on the road they can make a killing.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have no idea what you're talking about. The days of "hustlers" roaming the roads "making a living" have been over for many years. You might get hustled by a better amateur player locally, but there's nobody making a killing playing the road. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I disagree. See my post above. The guy easily makes several thousand each weekend and it takes some serious work to find out who he is. By the time you found out who he is, he is long gone. He is from a country not known for pool and goes by a nickname.

FWIW he is somewhere in the top 20 for players in the US right now.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member

Isn't that called a "Hustler"?

When someone askes me to play some pool I dont consider that a deception no matter how good or bad they then play.
If i am greatly out skilled and have no chance of beating them I generally know it the first game. No Harm, No Foul.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I ran into a guy who fits this description a month or two ago. Nobody knew who he was until weeks after he left town and had destroyed a very good player gambling. Who knows maybe he is still on the road doing the same thing. He doesn't live in the US so most people have no clue what his name is here or how good he plays.

The very good player was not as good as he thought he was.
He destroyed himself with his greed.
I seen it here locally sometimes ... people that just know they can beat you and always try the double or nothing trick. Sometimes it backfires and they pay double.
I dont need but one or two games to know when I am out skilled on a pool table and there is no shame in quitting with some money still in your pocket.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When someone askes me to play some pool I dont consider that a deception no matter how good or bad they then play.
If i am greatly out skilled and have no chance of beating them I generally know it the first game. No Harm, No Foul.[/QUOTE]

I’ve played several people 1P that quit me after one game saying they have no chance. I’m far from a great player but every once in a great while I can run 8 or 9 balls. I also screw up the simplest of shots. I’m pretty sure your not the one I ran 8 balls on my first game:D

Quitting after a game or two is lame. Sorry

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very good player was not as good as he thought he was.
He destroyed himself with his greed.
I seen it here locally sometimes ... people that just know they can beat you and always try the double or nothing trick. Sometimes it backfires and they pay double.
I dont need but one or two games to know when I am out skilled on a pool table and there is no shame in quitting with some money still in your pocket.

The local player was rated around 730 on Fargo so there aren't many unknown players who are capable of beating him. When the unknown showed his top gear, it was pretty clear at that point who the better player was.

Years later everyone knows who the unknown player at that time is. Beauty of the internet.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
The local player was rated around 730 on Fargo so there aren't many unknown players who are capable of beating him. When the unknown showed his top gear, it was pretty clear at that point who the better player was.

Years later everyone knows who the unknown player at that time is. Beauty of the internet.
My goal is to become the best in my area. I think a 700 Fargo will do it, since the best player right now is around a 650. A local player with a 730 was probably pretty comfortable that he wasn't going to get beat very easily. That would have been fun to watch the unknown beating him.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My goal is to become the best in my area. I think a 700 Fargo will do it, since the best player right now is around a 650. A local player with a 730 was probably pretty comfortable that he wasn't going to get beat very easily. That would have been fun to watch the unknown beating him.

We might have seven guys who are 690+ in the same room. Most players know who they are anyway when they come to town. Both players thought they could beat anyone unknown to them. The road player happened to be the one who was right. His real advantage came in winning the safety battles and getting the first open shot. 730 is capable of running any rack where he gets the first shot.

I am sure I will never play that speed consistently. Sometimes I do but most of the time I do dumb stuff. Consistency is the key.

I hope you achieve your goal. That would be awesome.