Debt?

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool hall owners only: How do you guys handle a player that regularly plyas on air barrel. Player is unable to pay such amount tot heir opponent after the set. Player has accumulated debts with several players. What do you do?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool hall owners only: How do you guys handle a player that regularly plyas on air barrel. Player is unable to pay such amount tot heir opponent after the set. Player has accumulated debts with several players. What do you do?
We used to bar them until they paid up. Seeing how the poolhall was their main(if not only) source of income they usually scraped together the dough pretty quick. Another place would make the player leave their cue,if they had one, as collateral til they got square. A combination of both tactics would probably be even better. All this being said, anyone not making this guy post is kinda asking for trouble.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hold them accountable.
If the person that they owes objects, then the deadbeat is on 2 fouls. They don't pay then they don't play.

Better to have one guy upset than a room full.

Last edited:

floppybear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is one of the deadbeats initials NF?

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully you have resolved your DEADBEAT situation. Players firing 'airbarrels" around will eventually hurt business. Although "some" of the guilt has to be put on the opponent. One day your deadbeat will try to "cuff" the wrong person(s) and the poolroom will be on the nightly news. It is better to let be known to all the "gamblers" in your establishment to "POST" all bets. Have them give the stakes to the "house guy" or put it on the light fixture etc..etc.. Then they should "PAY" each other per game (or set) every time someone "WINS". When there is no more money to "PAY" .....the winner takes the "stakes down" and the session is OVER!!! Nobody is "owed". Why on the back of some of my tee-shirts we have printed "In God We Trust...all others must POST'. This is not 1962 and your not at "Finnley's house" in Louisville during the KY DERBY....Make them put the $$$ up or "NO GAME".

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Posting and rules should be known and followed by everyone.

That said, if the house actually enforces the rules, would they be "known to be running a gambling establishment"? Would that be ok in your state/jurisdiction?

Seems like the fiction used to be posting a "no gambling allowed" sign (wink, wink), and then being sure not to know about any specific situation.

smt

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would NEVER suggest putting "gambling rules" in writing (on the wall or otherwise), but having the "house guy" hold stakes for known players....why that's just good old American tradition. The reason for "808billiards" post was to handle a guy firing "air barrels" all the time. He must have a room where guys DON'T POST $$$ and move coins around the table. Very easy to have somebody get "cuffed" that way. If "Mr. Air Barrel" is the only problem like that in the room....just "BAR" him and your problem is over.....my feeling though is an "ongoing" problem there with more than just one bad apple......ALSO if one "goof" gets away with it other "goofs" will be trying it when they are short of $$$.

ugotda8

Pool Room Owner
Silver Member
We all know...

We all know what goes on inside of a poolhall. However, unless you want to open yourself up to the potential liability of a commercial gambling charge, STAY OUT OF THE GAMBLING SIDE OF THINGS. You can defend what you "DO NOT KNOW" but you can not defend being involved. All it takes is for one sour apple to be able to prove you are taking another players part in collecting a gambling debt and using your business to do so could land you in hot water. It is a long shot mind you, but long shots do come in from time to time.

Our policy is simple. NO GAMBLING is posted on our wall and that is our position from a legal stand point. Now, if a player is causing a disruption of any sort to your business, you can bar them FOR THAT and be on firm legal ground. Never bar a customer because they gambled and owe money to another or you for that matter. Any activity in which you or an employee engages at any level in gambling on the premises can spell trouble for you unless your state allows that activity.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all have "NO GAMBLING!" signs posted throughout our rooms. The only way you could get a GAMBLING CHARGE is "if" you took a rake (percentage of the posted bet)....ALSO, "if" you BAR player "A" for gambling and not player "B"...you can get sued for "equal application rules" (discrimination/civil rights). But if you keep letting this "goof fire air barrels" one day he will try to "cuff" the wrong guy and then YOU WILL HAVE LIABILITY for everybody who is injured (or SAYS they are injured). So unless you have a QUAKER/MAYBERRY pool room start using time honored pool room standards that avoid PROBLEMS PS but don't do it till you give me your address and I can fire a few AIRBARRELS at the natives (who knows I might win and if not...WHO CARES!).

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, one of us knows about the pool hall business...and the other is me...

Not sure about the Law in every jurisdiction, but I do know about defending business interests.

Support of illegal activity can be equally as harmful as engaging in the activity.

I will acknowledge: 1: it's only wrong if you get caught,
And B- one might successfully utilize a defense that 'betting' between two players is not gambling...

Many business have gone bankrupt defending themselves- winners and losers.

Why take the risk? Dont get involved.

We all have "NO GAMBLING!" signs posted throughout our rooms. The only way you could get a GAMBLING CHARGE is "if" you took a rake (percentage of the posted bet)....ALSO, "if" you BAR player "A" for gambling and not player "B"...you can get sued for "equal application rules" (discrimination/civil rights). But if you keep letting this "goof fire air barrels" one day he will try to "cuff" the wrong guy and then YOU WILL HAVE LIABILITY for everybody who is injured (or SAYS they are injured). So unless you have a QUAKER/MAYBERRY pool room start using time honored pool room standards that avoid PROBLEMS PS but don't do it till you give me your address and I can fire a few AIRBARRELS at the natives (who knows I might win and if not...WHO CARES!).

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Black-Balled....808billiards said he had a guy firing AIR BARRELS and asked what to do about it. I gave him a couple of suggestions that work in rooms I own. You are certainly free to run your room anyway you would like. Although I was never comfortable in rooms run by "Sgt Shultz" (HOGANS HEROS)....I see nothing and hear nothing......My feeling is if you are unaware of what is happening in the room.....your problems will only compound to a point where small problems turn into BIG PROBLEMS.