Forced follow through

railroad82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve gotten into a bad habit of following through too fast. I’m coming back slow on my backstroke but end up following through too fast. Especially on my draw stroke. How do I correct this?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve gotten into a bad habit of following through too fast. I’m coming back slow on my backstroke but end up following through too fast. Especially on my draw stroke. How do I correct this?
I would try practicing precise position play. Go for exact amounts of follow and draw and stun (going straight sideways).

Video record yourself and look at what you're doing. You might be surprised.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a speed control drill that focuses on slower shots. Try to hit each ball just a little farther than the last.

To practice faster speeds bank the balls off the end rail.

pj
chgo

View attachment 12407

Attachments

• speed drill.jpg
    speed drill.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 633

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

I am having a hard time visualizing what a too fast follow through would be.

Do you pause at the back?

If your stroke is fine up to contact how could it be too fast on the follow through?

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I find that a pause makes my shot stroke more deliberate and focused. A slower back stroke might also help.

pj
chgo

Something I am working on is a gradual acceleration rather than a "bullet" start and stop. This gradual acceleration is nearly imperceptible but if you focus on it, it will come.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Something I am working on is a gradual acceleration rather than a "bullet" start and stop. This gradual acceleration is nearly imperceptible but if you focus on it, it will come.
Yes, I think anything that helps overcome the "twitch" or "jerk" tendency when trying to stroke with speed is a good thing.

pj
chgo

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I think anything that helps overcome the "twitch" or "jerk" tendency when trying to stroke with speed is a good thing.

pj

chgo

All I try to remember is that the power for the shot begins at the cue ball and not from behind the cue ball. All that is needed from behind the cue ball is to just get the cue moving forward toward the cue ball. Once the tip
Is at the cue ball that's when the power for the shot begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All I try to remember is that the power for the shot begins at the cue ball and not from behind the cue ball. All that is needed from behind the cue ball is to just get the cue moving forward toward the cue ball. Once the tip is at the cue ball that's when the power for the shot begins.
You seem to be saying that there is no need to accelerate the cue stick prior to tip-to-ball contact. Is that what you mean to say?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
All I try to remember is that the power for the shot begins at the cue ball and not from behind the cue ball. All that is needed from behind the cue ball is to just get the cue moving forward toward the cue ball. Once the tip
Is at the cue ball that's when the power for the shot begins.
That's probably a helpful visualization, but the way you describe it may be a little misleading.

The power for the shot is contained within the cue until it hits the ball - it begins with the first forward movement of the cue, increases as the cue accelerates toward the ball, and is transferred to the ball during the 1/1000 second contact.

Contrary to the beliefs of many (not necessarily you), the cue can't "accelerate through" the ball - in fact, its speed decreases by a lot upon contact as its momentum is transferred to the ball. "Accelerating through the ball" can, however, be a useful visualization - it encourages smooth acceleration before hitting the ball.

pj
chgo

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you Pat and Bob (been busy) to help better explain my reply.

Here is what gets me, all my pool playing days I've always been told to accelerate thru the cue ball and I'm thinking WTH does that mean and how do you do it. The typical reply was, you just start the forward swing of the cue slowly and then gradually build up speed to get thru the cue ball. Well that whole statement is open to interpretation by the individual.

Over the years I have had to come up with visualizations /feel that would help me to understand accelerating to and thru the cue ball.

My number one visualization/feel is to just pull the cue back and kinda let it fall until my forearm is vertical and then add power to get thru the cue ball.

My number two visual is to imagine that I have to push-start a car (if any of you remember those days)
There are two ways you can do it, one get back from the cars trunk about 5 or 6 feet, with your arms stretched out in front of you, take off running at the cars trunk at full speed, when your arms hit the cars trunk, somethings gonna break.

The next way is to walk up to the cars trunk with your arms stretched out and then begin to push. (the preferred method). To me this means acceleration. You start off slow and then build up speed..

I use the number one visualization, just kinda letting the arm drop from the back swing down to the cue ball where power is applied to get thru the cue ball.

What I feel in my grip hand is one, the cue ball feels like its glued to the tip of the cue.
Two, sometimes in my grip hand it feels as though the tip of my cue has penetrated the cue ball.

All this works for me, maybe it may help others to learn acceleration thru the cue ball.

I've been thinking of making a training aid to allow for users to experience what it feels like, in your grip hand, to accelerate thru the cue ball. I've got it pretty much worked out, just have to build it. :)

I had to figure something out so there it is. :)

John

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
There are 3 things that are critical to my shot making.
1) Pause at the back of the stroke.
2) Bring my full focus to my point of aim during that pause.
3) Feel that I am starting the delivery with my fingers.

The pause then thinking of starting with the fingers keeps me from lunging into the stroke.:thumbup:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you Pat and Bob (been busy) to help better explain my reply.

Here is what gets me, all my pool playing days I've always been told to accelerate thru the cue ball and I'm thinking WTH does that mean and how do you do it. The typical reply was, you just start the forward swing of the cue slowly and then gradually build up speed to get thru the cue ball. Well that whole statement is open to interpretation by the individual.

Over the years I have had to come up with visualizations /feel that would help me to understand accelerating to and thru the cue ball.

My number one visualization/feel is to just pull the cue back and kinda let it fall until my forearm is vertical and then add power to get thru the cue ball.

My number two visual is to imagine that I have to push-start a car (if any of you remember those days)
There are two ways you can do it, one get back from the cars trunk about 5 or 6 feet, with your arms stretched out in front of you, take off running at the cars trunk at full speed, when your arms hit the cars trunk, somethings gonna break.

The next way is to walk up to the cars trunk with your arms stretched out and then begin to push. (the preferred method). To me this means acceleration. You start off slow and then build up speed..

I use the number one visualization, just kinda letting the arm drop from the back swing down to the cue ball where power is applied to get thru the cue ball.

What I feel in my grip hand is one, the cue ball feels like its glued to the tip of the cue.
Two, sometimes in my grip hand it feels as though the tip of my cue has penetrated the cue ball.

All this works for me, maybe it may help others to learn acceleration thru the cue ball.

I've been thinking of making a training aid to allow for users to experience what it feels like, in your grip hand, to accelerate thru the cue ball. I've got it pretty much worked out, just have to build it. :)

I had to figure something out so there it is. :)

John

I like the examples you gave.

I've always set, slowly back, pause and slowly start toward CB while ramping power until my cue is past the CB.

I think most describe their movements a little different from one another, but I also think that most all players that have good fundamentals will seem very similar while in action regardless of how different they think their stroke may or may not be.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
On well-paced strokes, the follow through is about the length of the backstroke. How far is your backstroke and are you consistently backstroking the same length every time?

You might practice a certain draw shot with a 9-inch bridge length, but if you backstroke 9 inches on some draw strokes and 3 inches on others on the same shot, you might struggle with pacing and follow through.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonsense...The amount of cuestick that finishes past the CB has no relationship with how far you backswing. As already mentioned, pulling the tip back to your hand allows a smoother transition to the forward accelerated stroke...without grabbing the cue tight. A player's natural finish (where their tip finishes at the end of their swing) is different from player to player...based on body style, stance, and how your arm works with your body, using a pendulum stroke.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

On well-paced strokes, the follow through is about the length of the backstroke.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nonsense...The amount of cuestick that finishes past the CB has no relationship with how far you backswing. As already mentioned, pulling the tip back to your hand allows a smoother transition to the forward accelerated stroke...without grabbing the cue tight. A player's natural finish (where their tip finishes at the end of their swing) is different from player to player...based on body style, stance, and how your arm works with your body, using a pendulum stroke.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

scott isnt that the distance from ball address (assuming perpendicular forearm at set)
to finish at your pectoral muscle??