Ronnie O'Sullivan

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan 'not sure punishing players' is answer to match-fixing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/44264413

Quote .

" Former world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan says snooker's governing body should look at the reasons for match-fixing instead of sanctioning players.

It comes after three players were suspended by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) over match-fixing allegations.

O'Sullivan posted on social media: "The real question should be why do the players feel the need to do this?

"I'm not sure punishing the players is the answer."

The latest players to be suspended by the WPBSA are former Welsh professional David John, along with Chinese pair Yu Delu and Cao Yupeng.

Matches involving the trio were investigated and they were found to have a case to answer.

They have been suspended until the outcome of formal hearings, which will take place at a venue and date to be confirmed.

All three players have the right to appeal against the decision.

"In terms of integrity, our governing body the WPBSA is setting an example to many other sports when it comes to detecting corruption, stamping it out and providing an appropriate deterrent to the players," said a World Snooker spokesperson.

'A players' union is the only way forward'
Earlier this month, World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn said prize money would be increasing across the board and insisted that "we are seeing the prize money going deeper into the 128 pros".

However, English five-time world champion O'Sullivan highlighted the expenses for players involved on the snooker circuit as an issue, saying they "kill the players ranked outside the top 16".

"Maybe decrease the amount of small events and make the events you do have price-effective for everyone," added the 42-year-old.

"Have more players if you like, but don't put the players in a position where to make a living becomes unsustainable.

"Everyone eating is always a good thing in my book."

O'Sullivan said he was "talking about why some players feel the need to fix matches", adding: "Once you find out why, you can then try to make positive changes to stop it happening.

"Whatever you do, no player on the main tour should end the season minus £30,000, and, trust me, there are a high percentage that are.

"A players' union is the only way forward. Players stick together and changes will happen, no players no game.

"Some players will stick but I know others who can be picked off. Divide and rule never works for the long term benefit of the all players."

'The majority of players are earning good money'
World Snooker, however, insisted prize money had "increased dramatically in recent years".

"Last season 13 tour players earned over £300,000, 34 earned over £100,000 and 61 earned over £50,000," said a spokesperson.

"Even taking into account expenses, the majority of players are earning good money.

"We have made huge progress over the past decade and we are committed to continuing this trend which will provide more earning opportunities for the players."

It's over to AZBilliards and open to discussion as to how to how to prevent corruption on betting in Snooker , sorry for the pun but how would you fix it ? :thumbup:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie wins the Shanghai Masters 2018

https://ronnieo147.com/2018/09/16/ronnie-wins-the-shanghai-masters-2018/

Ronnie O'Sullivan beats Barry Hawkins to retain Shanghai Masters :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/45541687

Ronnie O'Sullivan wins Shanghai Masters after defeating Barry Hawkins in final :

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/osullivan-wins-shanghai-masters/152495

Ronnie O'Sullivan lands Shanghai Masters title before giving trophy away to young fans :

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/ronnie-gifts-shanghai-trophy-to-fan/152523

Eurosport blocked all the video's on you tube here but this one just loaded might work .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL2Ef_wqVSE

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has over 950 century breaks over his career now. Slowly closing in on 1,000. That's just an insane statistic.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O'Sullivan's greatest hits: Stinky Venues (and Snooker Feats)

https://video.eurosport.co.uk/snook...nues-and-snooker-feats_vid1137210/video.shtml

Pretty much the Ronnie O'Sullivan page on Eurosports :

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Soheil Vahedi northern ireland open 2018 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yo9sKeYXYg

Dudes .

When O'Sullivan get's into 'The Devil' mode just sit back and enjoy it , have a laugh if you like , same as Peter Ebdon did watching from the opposite table . The same way I laughed at Peter Ebdon's laugh and though , you know sir exactly what your watching .

You can buy signed Ronnie O'Sullivan cues & all his merchandise but you will never ever play the way he plays .

Do you know what really made me laugh thought ? When the camera pans into Ronnie O'Sullivan and I'm trying to read his thought's by his facial expressions lol !

Still you never know , still chasing Stephen Hendry's records , might even get beat in the next round lol ! :rolleyes::D:thumbup:

Last edited:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan 'ready to go' with breakaway snooker tour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46419267

Quote .

" Ronnie O'Sullivan says he is "ready to go" and form a breakaway "Champions League-style" snooker tour.

The five-time world champion is unhappy with the number of events on the calendar and the travelling required.

The 43-year-old says Stephen Hendry is "ready to come out of retirement" and hopes John Higgins joins too.

But 1997 world champion Ken Doherty said he did not think the public would like the tour, and doubted if Higgins would be interested.

"You need those players on the tour but I could not see how it would work," Doherty said.

O'Sullivan suggested that, in addition to seven-time world champion Hendry, he would also invite Yu Delu and Cao Yupeng, the two recently banned Chinese players.

"I am looking for seven or eight real top-quality players," said O'Sullivan after his narrow second-round victory over Doherty at the UK Championship.

"I am just waiting for four or five unhappy players. I am ready to go and if someone offered me the opportunity to play on another platform, I would be gone tomorrow.

"I want to play in quality events, good venues against great players and that is what inspires me. The tour is fantastic for a lot of people but it is not for everybody.

There is space for two tours. Everyone loves choice

Ronnie O'Sullivan
"I am being patient because I still have 15 years left in this game and I feel I can play into my mid-50s easily. There is no rush."

O'Sullivan's comments come following a series of run-ins with World Snooker over the last year, in particular with chairman Barry Hearn.

Earlier this month, O'Sullivan called Hearn a "dictator" for the way the sport is run. In January, Hearn said the sport could survive without O'Sullivan.

At last year's World Championship, O'Sullivan claimed he was being "bullied" by snooker authorities, an allegation Hearn rejected as being "unfounded".

O'Sullivan, who says he has had conversations with financial backers, explained how he thinks his proposed breakaway would work:

Why does it need to happen?
"The public will have the choice of the best playing each other every week. You don't see Leyton Orient turning up to play Lionel Messi at Barcelona. It does not happen. It is demotivating.

"Messi would get fed up having to playing Huddersfield Town and Orient. He wants to play against Cristiano Ronaldo and wants to hear the Champions League music. It gets you excited. There is space for two tours. Everyone loves choice.

"As a sportsman, I like to see the green jacket in golf, I like to see Roger Federer in tennis coming out looking slick at Wimbledon. I don't want to see Federer at Richmond Park having to qualify for Wimbledon.

"The guy deserves a bit more than that. If they asked him to do that he would probably swerve it. John Higgins is no different to Federer or Rafael Nadal, they are in different sports but at the same level of class."

Who would be involved?
"It is a chance to get John Higgins, the two Chinese players [Yu Delu and Cao Yupeng] who have been banned, and I know another couple of top-ranked Chinese players who are unhappy at the travelling they have to do, playing in qualifiers at Barnsley.

"Stephen Hendry is ready to come out of retirement and is up for it and three or four other good players. I would have to have a package in place but I need players.

"I am ready but I cannot do it on my own. The whole idea is to play against quality players day in day out."

What would be the format?
"I doesn't need lots of top players, I am not looking for an alternative tour. I am looking for seven or eight real top-quality players, Champions League or ATP tennis style. Every match would be a final.

"You have your 128 players that you might want to watch, and then the crème de la crème playing match in, match out. It would be very different.

"I would not dream of putting an event on in which one guy is mauling another. It would have to be competitive."

Would players have to give up their tour card?
"Absolutely. It is a risk for Higgins and people like that.

"The 64th ranked player in the world might have played in 13 events and six months into the season he has made around £14,000. Do your maths, he has to find food money from somewhere.

"It is up to people to make a decision. I am looking for people who are ready and are at the point of no return."

The current world number 64, Craig Steadman, has earned £16,500 this season from the eight events that he has played in.

Where would it be played?
"There is talk about Abu Dhabi, Dubai, China is a nailed on one, Europe is very big. There are so many places you can go. They are just the start. We are talking at the moment."

'Higgins would not be up for it, no way'
While O'Sullivan is enthused at the prospect of a breakaway, his beaten opponent on Sunday takes a different view.

"It would [be sad]," said 1997 world champion Doherty. "They have tried it in other sports but it never really peeled off.

"Maybe darts [the PDC split from the BDO in the 1990s] in is a different example. But I don't think the public would like it. They want to see them playing in all the blue riband events including the UK Championship.

"Why would you want to break away when you can create amazing records, more than what O'Sullivan has already has done?

"Knowing John Higgins, I don't think he would be up for it anyway, no way."

View Comments 92

Whatcha fink Dudes ?:rolleyes::p:cool::thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I only had one current snooker player to watch, I’d pick Ronnie O’Sullivan.

...but I don’t care for his philosophy.

John Spencer broke the ‘old boy’ closed shop thinking and opened up the game to new talent.
..Ronnie is a product of that...and wants to close it up again?...:eek:

As good as he is, snooker needs Mr Hearn more than it needs Ronnie.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pt 109

If I only had one current snooker player to watch, I’d pick Ronnie O’Sullivan.

...but I don’t care for his philosophy.

John Spencer broke the ‘old boy’ closed shop thinking and opened up the game to new talent.
..Ronnie is a product of that...and wants to close it up again?...:eek:

As good as he is, snooker needs Mr Hearn more than it needs Ronnie.

Fantastic to hear from you again my friend ! :thumbup:

How are you doing ?

I hope all is well ! :thumbup: