new Jacoby Edge Pro shaft

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will expand on my review when I have had some more time.

My friend picked up one at the expo for me. I received it last night. My first impressions are that Jacoby hit it out of the park. The finish is very smooth through my closed bridge, better than my original hybrid. The CB went where I was expecting. (I'm an TAP 4) Even the Everest tip is working very well, and those are usually cut off as soon as possible.

I have only sampled a Revo so I cannot compare.

This shaft is a "factory second". To call this shaft a second speaks to Jacoby's quality standards. I cannot identify an issue. (Update: There is a small black smudge about 5 inches from the tip that might have caused the BLEM rating. This cannot be felt, and this is still the smoothest shaft I have ever used.)

I have done some amateur deflection tests and this shaft is definitely low deflection. I was able to switch between the Jacoby Ultra and a Mezz Ex Pro without adjustment. Spot shots with high inside were pocketed easily as the shooters consistency. :)

Over the last 4 years, I have tried the Predator 314-2, Z2, and OB Pro shafts. I couldn't get past the hallow feel of those shafts. I think any player hung up on that hallowness would feel at home with the Jacoby Hybrid. Feel has not changed with the Ultra.

Building a shaft with 140 veneers does mean each strip is incredibly thin. I would say they are no thicker than a layer of the Everest tip. I would love to watch these shafts being assembled.

I know this sub-forum gets little traffic but I do hope other owners chime in. I heard a lot of these shafts were sold at the Expo.

Last edited:

Chango

Registered
I have had a new Ultra Jacoby shaft for a week now. I replaced the tip with a Moori medium and absolutely love it. Nice control of the cue ball and plenty of feedback, simply put, nice hit. Worth the wait and price.

MalibuMike

Banned
The Ultra, yes I like it~!

The new Jacoby Ultra is now up there with my Mezz ExPro, they both hit nice and stiff, mine is a 12.7mm tip. Took off the Everest and put on a Zan Medium and plays as good as anything out there. I hit around with a Revo shaft for a couple hours, it does put amazing spin on the ball... But I wouldn't buy a piece of chalk from Predator, they are the evil empire of pool! Putting many Mom and Pop shops out of business! They just do not care! They can go peddle their crap to the APA! Everyone in the APA has a Predator Shaft with a Kamui tip! It's sad!
I'm sure this Revo shaft is gunna cut down a lot of squirt on a 7 foot Diamond Table where 90% of the shots are withing 2 to 3 feet of each other!

I'm waiting for the New Tiger 2nd Gen Shaft!
And hopefully Mezz will put together a Composite style shaft that at least doesn't look so lame!

Got Chalk?

Attachments

• 19030491_10155259217823463_7260668529063426300_n (1).jpg
    19030491_10155259217823463_7260668529063426300_n (1).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,407
  • user71166_pic15214_1429001546.jpg
    user71166_pic15214_1429001546.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3,613

MalibuMike

Banned
Whoa! I just tried a new amazing shaft!

aLSO WITH A dENNIS sEARING mEDIUM!
MY NEXT FAVORITE TIP... PRECISION~

Attachments

• 1479094282.jpg
    1479094282.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3,380
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3,288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,350
  • 20170607110351-51e6539a.jpg
    20170607110351-51e6539a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 3,351
  • 20170607110356-83dc4cd0.jpg
    20170607110356-83dc4cd0.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,353

r.roach@att.net

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got my 30" Ultra Saturday. had to reshape the Tiger-Everest tip, which is all I use, and ***** it up some. have used it three days now and can feel the difference in the hit, better cue ball control, and less deflection. glad I got it.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other reviews? For new buyers how does Ultra shaft shoot? It's very different from Edge Hybrid?

Last edited:

italbomber

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got my Ultra shaft the other day. I haven't used a LD shaft in a very long time. All I can say is that it's absolutely incredible. I couldn't agree more with Mike's review. Jacoby hit the nail on the head with this one. It's about as 0 deflection as you could ask for. It plays very consistent and feels like it's real from tip to joint. No hollow sounds at all. Mezz also is nice but I'll stick with the Ultra as it's made in the USA and the reputation is phenomenal. Love the lifetime warranty, and the fact that there are plenty of local dealers to speak with and contact. 5 stars on this shaft hands down.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will expand on my review when I have had some more time.

My friend picked up one at the expo for me. I received it last night. My first impressions are that Jacoby hit it out of the park. The finish is very smooth through my closed bridge, better than my original hybrid. The CB went where I was expecting. (I'm an TAP 4) Even the Everest tip is working very well, and those are usually cut off as soon as possible.

I have only sampled a Revo so I cannot compare.

This shaft is a "factory second". To call this shaft a second speaks to Jacoby's quality standards. I cannot identify an issue. (Update: There is a small black smudge about 5 inches from the tip that might have caused the BLEM rating. This cannot be felt, and this is still the smoothest shaft I have ever used.)

I have done some amateur deflection tests and this shaft is definitely low deflection. I was able to switch between the Jacoby Ultra and a Mezz Ex Pro without adjustment. Spot shots with high inside were pocketed easily as the shooters consistency. :)

Over the last 4 years, I have tried the Predator 314-2, Z2, and OB Pro shafts. I couldn't get past the hallow feel of those shafts. I think any player hung up on that hallowness would feel at home with the Jacoby Hybrid. Feel has not changed with the Ultra.

Building a shaft with 140 veneers does mean each strip is incredibly thin. I would say they are no thicker than a layer of the Everest tip. I would love to watch these shafts being assembled.

I know this sub-forum gets little traffic but I do hope other owners chime in. I heard a lot of these shafts were sold at the Expo.

You sure don't sound like a C player, nice review.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has anyone tried the new Jacoby Edge Pro shaft? I would appreciate any feed back

I just tried one with my full splice radial cue, someone at a tournament I went to was a dealer and brought a case full of shafts. Did not care for it much. Stiff hit, deflection was low, but not much feel in the hit. I could not judge the spin I was putting too well. It was almost like I was shooting behind a curtain if that makes sense, the arm,eyes and what the cueball did was not in alignment.

I tried the older Edge shaft and liked the hit a lot better.

In fairness, I shot only maybe a rack of balls with the shaft, but that was because I did not think playing longer would make me like it more.

MalibuMike

Banned
New Jacoby Ultra

My new Jacoby Ultra plays as good as my Mezz ExPro, I switch back and forth with zero adjustment..

Attachments

• user71166_pic15552_1436387875.jpg
    user71166_pic15552_1436387875.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 646