Songs that get played over and over at your pool hall

asiasdad

Banned
Bingo! I hate loud jukes...but they come with the bars, I suppose. One reason I love going to the Cue Ball, Salem, Oregon. The usual music is a classic Rock Station on a stereo controlled at the counter...at low volume. I also like that all the pool tables are 9' anniversary or century Brunswicks....

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

Great room, great owner, great tables

My other PNW favorite room is

Russian Daves now called Asars Golden Fleece Billiards
in the greater Seattle area where they played only blues
at a respectable volume where you could hear the clicking
of the balls over the music like God intended.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend who when confronted with poor music tastes on the jukebox, he plays Pink Floyd 'Echoes' like three times in a row. 45 minutes of that and people lose their minds.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I wonder why it's necessary to have any music at all?

To make money
Same reason they sell beer

The pocket tables are juat there for when your not shoveling coins into the pay per song jukebox amd ordering up the next bucket

All the best

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Crazy Train, by Ozzie. Hear that one a LOT.

And I don't mind one bit :)

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the md-90's, our pool room went through an "Enter Sandman" phase. I like the song, but 3-5 times a day is a bit much.

Not pool specifically, but "Free Bird" is played everywhere in Dayton. One of my step sisters tends bar there. It gets played at least 5 times a night. She has a kill switch under the bar for the juke box. When people complain that the song didn't play, she tells them, "I know. It's been doing that all night."

Last edited:

objekt404

Registered
I have a friend who when confronted with poor music tastes on the jukebox, he plays Pink Floyd 'Echoes' like three times in a row. 45 minutes of that and people lose their minds.
I think you may have found my twin! Same idea, but Echoes, the complete front side of Rush 2112 (which you can find as 1 song), and InnaGadaDavida...

If it isn't league night & they play rap/techno again I'll put ~$10 of some good German speed/death metal or industrial on!!

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy B*tch - Buckcherry
For whom the bell tolls - Metallica
Joy to the world - Three Dog Night

I hear these *every* time I am there.
The last song on the list is played repeatedly by one of the league members who does it just to annoy people. Someone showed him how to use Touchtunes on his phone so we are guaranteed to hear that song at least 4-5 times per night when he is around.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy B*tch - Buckcherry
For whom the bell tolls - Metallica
Joy to the world - Three Dog Night

I hear these *every* time I am there.
The last song on the list is played repeatedly by one of the league members who does it just to annoy people. Someone showed him how to use Touchtunes on his phone so we are guaranteed to hear that song at least 4-5 times per night when he is around.

Hmmm sounds like it is time to break his phone or his fingers. Your choice:grin:

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I play the most it's pretty much the same story. On Monday league night it's pretty much top 40 stuff until later then the rap crap starts playing. By then many of the league players have left and it's loud. Not sure where the rap players come from!

The only good news, is most of them play pool but not very well. Easy pickings for warmed up league players who want to stay and play some.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Something - George Harrison
Pieces of April - Three Dog Night
Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat and Tears
Faeries wear boots - Black Sabbath
Telephone Line - ELO
Jesus just left Chicago - ZZ Top
Who do you love? - George Thorogood
Long cool woman - The Hollies
The Cisco Kid - War

Just to name a few... but my god, so annoyingly good.

Lesh

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Cannot the bars and halls block some of the extremely foul-mouthed "music" that comes from the jukeboxes?

I mean, some of that is beyond just cussing and enters a threatening zone almost, with the anti-woman, anti-everything spewing of ugliness and hate.

It doesn't help pool playing, that's for sure, and isn't that the point of us being there?

Jeff Livingston

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve at Santa Monica House of Billiards has us on a pretty strict regiment o Ariana Grande and shitty 90's rock.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
There's no song more beautiful than walking into an old-time pool hall and hearing just the click of the shots, the racking, a grunt or two, and little else.

Smoke hanging over the table makes (made) for a nice album cover.

Jeff Livingston

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cannot the bars and halls block some of the extremely foul-mouthed "music" that comes from the jukeboxes?

I mean, some of that is beyond just cussing and enters a threatening zone almost, with the anti-woman, anti-everything spewing of ugliness and hate.

It doesn't help pool playing, that's for sure, and isn't that the point of us being there?

Jeff Livingston

Yes. The touch tunes juke boxes you see around can be set to limit certain songs or only play clean versions of certain songs. Of two local pool halls that I used to visit regularly one was set for the raunchy stuff and the other one was more Family Friendly. One of the best features of the old juke boxes with records and later cd's was the complete control of the play list by the management/ownership.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Yes. The touch tunes juke boxes you see around can be set to limit certain songs or only play clean versions of certain songs. Of two local pool halls that I used to visit regularly one was set for the raunchy stuff and the other one was more Family Friendly. One of the best features of the old juke boxes with records and later cd's was the complete control of the play list by the management/ownership.

I'll make that suggestion to our pool halls (even though that's never worked for me)...and to those who run the state tournaments.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a vendor or state tournament, a heavy object could be placed on the mike button to override the speaker system when the crude songs are on.

Some people ought to have their mothers notified when they play such crap. However, I do know some mothers who wouldn't care.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
At a vendor or state tournament, a heavy object could be placed on the mike button to override the speaker system when the crude songs are on.

Some people ought to have their mothers notified when they play such crap. However, I do know some mothers who wouldn't care.

One of our state tournaments is trying really hard to improve the image of pool with a dress code, etc. I'd think they'd want it to sound as well as it looks.

Jeff Livingston

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why it's necessary to have any music at all?

^^^ This. Years ago there was a pool hall in my town, (now closed), first opened in the early '40's. There was an old juke box that never got played. It was great. The only thing you heard in there was balls running into each other and some small talk. Just lovely.

I played league in an inner city bar many years ago and they had Count Basie, Louie Jordan, Cab Calloway, a lot of jump blues on their box, stuff I grew up with being in a musical family. I loved playing in there. That place was swingin' all the time. Wasn't open long though.

I can listen to about anything for awhile but some of the rap, and I'll call it grunge for lack of knowing for sure what it is, is just terrible. My apologies to those who like it........

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
They play all of that speed/mumble hip-hop in every pool hall in San Antonio. I freaking despise that crap. I feel like my mind is being raped every second I have to endure it.