Home made Billiard Ball Cleaner Project 1

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was truly a design as you go project.
While sitting back basking in my glory, figured I would share.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 577
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 558
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 550
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 556
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 549

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 552
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More Photos
Can't post the video of operation but I verified with slo-mo the ball axis changing during rotation.

Very nice re-purposing of the cabinet! Looks great.

How did you design the various components from the spinning platter to the ball separation disc and the motor location to ensure the balls do not spin on the same axis?

Perhaps take another slo-motion video of shorter length and post up so we can see it?

I ask the question about design because we all know that IF someone simply makes a “spinning ball polisher” and keeps the axis of the spinning platter that the balls rest upon aligned with the center of the ball separator disc in the middle and the motor turning it all, that the balls WILL NOT have a continuously random rotation - they will turn in the same (very very little if any variance) axis not polishing the entire ball surface with the same contact times over every square mm let’s say. I know you say that you’ve verified this with a slow motion video, so I’m just wondering how you achieved this if you’re willing to share with all of the viewers here since home-built Ball polishers gets a lot of attention and isn’t as easy as “if you spin them you’ll clean them” sort of thing.

Thank you so much for sharing this project.

~ K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice re-purposing of the cabinet! Looks great.

How did you design the various components from the spinning platter to the ball separation disc and the motor location to ensure the balls do not spin on the same axis?

Perhaps take another slo-motion video of shorter length and post up so we can see it?

I ask the question about design because we all know that IF someone simply makes a “spinning ball polisher” and keeps the axis of the spinning platter that the balls rest upon aligned with the center of the ball separator disc in the middle and the motor turning it all, that the balls WILL NOT have a continuously random rotation - they will turn in the same (very very little if any variance) axis not polishing the entire ball surface with the same contact times over every square mm let’s say. I know you say that you’ve verified this with a slow motion video, so I’m just wondering how you achieved this if you’re willing to share with all of the viewers here since home-built Ball polishers gets a lot of attention and isn’t as easy as “if you spin them you’ll clean them” sort of thing.

Thank you so much for sharing this project.

~ K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as you are pushing the balls against another surface (vs simply spinning a surface under them), they will change axis.
This center plater is similar to the Diamond Billiards concept, the rotation forces the ball against the outer edge creating a different edge friction and axis change.

It was truly a deign as I went project, I saw a yard sale bar and had a brainstorm.
I wasn't sure about heights/spacing etc.; therefore, I used 4 all-thread rods.
The rods start at the top, then they adjust the motor support/ball rest height/spacing as needed.
Here is an illustration that might be better than my explanation.
The site won't let me post a video here; if interested, I could YouTube one.

Attachments

• design.JPG
    design.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just a thought

Are the balls snug enough in the holes? If too loose , I'm not sure you are going to get enough friction for a good clean.

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, for one, would LOVE to see a more thorough write up on what this thing entails, and I'd love to see a youtube video. My table is suppose to be installed very soon and I'll be looking into options for ball cleaning seriously shortly thereafter. Your solution looks fantastic, I'm very interested in doing something similar.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1/2HP DC Motor (90V/1750RPM) with a AC 110V Rotary Knob Voltage Speed Controller.

Now all you need do is cutout a rectangular hole off to the side for an outlet box, and wire in a spring-wound timer connected to the motor AC supply.

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very cool and great idea. all your stuff in one place with an integrated ball polisher..... looking forward to seeing the final product.

:)

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Impressive.

Not including the cost of the cabinet (as this can vary significantly), any R&D changes you may have encountered or your labor of love, what do you estimate your total cost to be.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the balls snug enough in the holes? If too loose , I'm not sure you are going to get enough friction for a good clean.

It rotates the same the Diamond Billiard's cleaner; theirs has zero friction, none at all.
You really don't want any friction; it's about pushing the balls against multiple surfaces while rotating.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impressive.

Not including the cost of the cabinet (as this can vary significantly), any R&D changes you may have encountered or your labor of love, what do you estimate your total cost to be.

I used a old table top to double the top, the ball shelf layer, and the spindle; 2 layers of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood would work as well or better.
I bought a nice 3 1/2" hole saw vs using my jig saw but I will exclude the tool purchase:

It would be safe to consider $200 including nuts, bolts, washers, and plywood.

$109.20 - DC MOTOR 1/2HP 90V/1750RPM
$31.99 - AC 110V Voltage Speed Controller DC Motor Variable DC0-90V
$29.68 ($7.42 each for four 3/8" All-Thread Rods 36" long