Why pool is different !!!

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try to keep this observation as brief as possible, but it won't be easy. I have a lot of spare time these days, so I hope you find it interesting. We all share a love for the various games of pool, or else why would we be here? First, let me break down the obvious differences between pool, (regardless of a particular game) and every other sport/game played anywhere in the world.

Games only come in two varieties..competitive, and non-competitive, and we all know the difference. Games/sports that are physically competitive include, football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc. Games/sports that are non-competitive, are golf, bowling, darts, and of course pool. These games are only reliant on how you, yourself perform. Your opponent(s) have no control over anything you do, or fail to do.

The game of pool is unique, in that there is some control over the mix of defense and offense, that will effect the outcome most of the time. Like any game played with round (or oblong) balls..rolls or bounces, may quite often determine the outcome. No way to ever change that.

The point I am trying to make, is that is why we were attracted to the game in the first place. It is very difficult to become proficient at it, without investing a lot of time and practice. This is the challenge that attracted us to pool. We don't have to be physically bigger, or stronger, to prevail..we just have to be smarter, and play better than our opponent(s).

The one big problem with our game, is the fact that we have too many different games, rules, table sizes etc. It almost takes a written contract before play can commence. By far, the most popular and accepted game is 8ball. Other games may require more skill, but specializing in them opens yet another can of worms, when it comes to matching up. or tournaments.

I guess the message I am trying to convey, is this. In order to bring pool out of the doldrums, we need to do as the Brit's have done with snooker. Their success is obvious. There is only one game, one set of rules, and one size table. We also have NO much needed governing body. The BCA is a farce!

Until we find a way to present an exciting, interesting product for the viewing public, pool is destined to languish as an 'also ran' in popularity, even though millions enjoy it every day. If you recall, Mike Sigel advised the con man Trudeau, to use 8ball as his single game for the IPT, and he at least got pool noticed.

I think one pocket, is the best game played on a pool table. But, I am realistic enough to know, it will never be a popular spectator game. So what the heck, there are a lot worse games than 8ball..and everyone, especially 'Joe Six-pack', already knows how its played!

If we haven't already ruined our chances, by some questionable poor decisions, (ie; dumps etc.) maybe there is still time to bring some quality, high dollar sponsors into pool..Lets hope so!

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Good post!
Two things.
1. There is no equal offense in pool.
2. The BCA is far from a farce.

randyg

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Why does there need to be only one game?

Why not something like the decathlon that occurs in the Olympics?

Something like the Legends of Pool series that was on some time ago where the match is say 8 ball, one pocket and straight as a tie breaker.

The idea that there needs to be only game pro level game is the biggest issue in pool.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Games/sports that are non-competitive, are golf, bowling, darts, and of course pool. These games are only reliant on how you, yourself perform. Your opponent(s) have no control over anything you do, or fail to do.

I really don't think this holds true for pool. I think pool sits in between the first group and the second group.

If we talk just 8-ball, to keep it simple, then if you break and run out and your opponent does the same every time what you say is true. You are in complete control of what happens when you're at the table. But unlike golf, bowling, and darts pool has the element of your opponent passing off the table to you in a condition that they have a hand in effecting. If they get a table that is tough to run out they may play safe, giving you a chance at the table but your opportunities are severely limited by the position your opponent put you in.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I covered all the recent comments thus far, in my original post. At least I tried. And RandyG, please name one thing the BCA has done for the betterment of promoting pool tournaments to the masses? They seem to be all political, and only out to promote the pool industry, not the players!

PS..Sure there can be other games besides 8ball. But hasn't snooker proven that the 'one game' concept is very workable, and much more acceptable? They seem to fill the stands at all of their events. The Mosconi Cup is the only event (also promoted by Barry Hearn)..that showcases American players.

PS..I won't even bother going into the farce that Barry Berman has created out of our "World 9ball Championship"! :(

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Pool is just not a spectator sport and big sponsors don't have interest in it because it doesn't generate big viewer numbers. Pool was at its biggest before real spectator sports really gained traction and took off like football, basketball and baseball. In Asia they do not have as many of these big sports as we do which is why pool is so popular there especially in the Philippines.

It is not pools fault but it just has lost its fan base long ago. Look at the big sports that came in and when pro pool started really losing its luster. Kids would rather be pro athletes who make millions then a pool player making very little money. Pool is what it is and we love it for that, the pro players are very accessible to us and its a really interesting subculture.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The BCA is a Trade Organization...

Hence a conflict of interested existed when they were considered the governing body of The Game.

Lowering the specifications for balls so a manufacturer has less waste & more profits is NOT in the best interest for the game.

Neither is allowing for a lower table.

etc. etc. etc.

No one can have two 'masters'.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The BCA is a Trade Organization...

Hence a conflict of interested existed when they were considered the governing body of The Game.

Lowering the specifications for balls so a manufacturer has less waste & more profits is NOT in the best interest for the game.

Neither is allowing for a lower table.

etc. etc. etc.

No one can have two 'masters'.

You guys have been raped by the BCA so much, some of you are actually starting to like it.

Pool will never be a major sport, but there is no reason why the sport has to be less than it can be. Let's bring back the ten footer, small pockets, unified rules, world championships in straightpool. Forget all the 7ball sudden death nonsense on 7 foot idiot tables. Lets make it a mans and grown womans sport, with proper table height like snooker. No more midget tables, no more pinball rails, no more teflon cloth, no god damned skittle balls. Pool, baby!

There is no money in pool as it is, and the BCA are making you dance for crumbs, on shitty kiddy tables. I say: no more! Lets honor the dignity and history of the sport, like snooker. Go back to the roots. Don't try to make pool into something you think the masses will want, they'll never want pool anyhow. Make the fans and players come to us, because they appreciate skill and want a challenge. The way things are going, we are looking at the 2025 world championship as a 6 ball challenge on a 3by 6! But it's not too late to change.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the message I am trying to convey, is this. In order to bring pool out of the doldrums, we need to do as the Brit's have done with snooker. Their success is obvious. There is only one game, one set of rules, and one size table.

100% agree with this :thumb:
I've recently started to practice and play Snooker again and loving it.
I go to tournaments and play to win. If I'm good enough I win, if not I lose and go home to practice more. Simple.
No silly handicaps, no silly rules, straight knockout.
Many other European players are heading back to their roots (Snooker) whilst there is a growing number of juniors playing the game too.
:thumbup:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only opponent in pool is the table, that's why the best always prefer the long race and winner break. Alternate break, tournaments, short races, in a way favor the weaker player and by changing to these formats, pool has suffered, a player no longer has to strive to be the greatest, no matter the game. Just ask The Pearl, SVB, Efren, on and on...

Is it better to have many winners due to various formats or rules, or to have a few champions that reach major acclaim therefore the world has something to be interested in? In the history of all major sports, a few become truly great, the youth became interested, and the rest in history. If we want pool to be popular, we need to win the young people.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
The difference between pool here and Europe is an easy example of what we should move pool to.

Let the pros gamble against eachother playing one pocket for cash and televise 9 ball with the same rules and format as it is on the Euro Tour.

Or we could start playing snooker! Which I'm not terribly opposed to. Pool is much more recognized in the U.S. but in Canada, most of Europe and the middle east, snooker remains supreme.

My only beef with BCA/CSI is the US Open 10 ball and 8 ball. It should be the top 32 of US fargo rate players on 9 ft tables. You can't have two bar table events the same year and then pretend they are different. If you make it a big enough deal players with start to care because the rankings will matter. There has been a lot more hype around the Mosconi cup because of the way they are doing the points system.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You guys have been raped by the BCA so much, some of you are actually starting to like it.

Pool will never be a major sport, but there is no reason why the sport has to be less than it can be. Let's bring back the ten footer, small pockets, unified rules, world championships in straightpool. Forget all the 7ball sudden death nonsense on 7 foot idiot tables. Lets make it a mans and grown womans sport, with proper table height like snooker. No more midget tables, no more pinball rails, no more teflon cloth, no god damned skittle balls. Pool, baby!

There is no money in pool as it is, and the BCA are making you dance for crumbs, on shitty kiddy tables. I say: no more! Lets honor the dignity and history of the sport, like snooker. Go back to the roots. Don't try to make pool into something you think the masses will want, they'll never want pool anyhow. Make the fans and players come to us, because they appreciate skill and want a challenge. The way things are going, we are looking at the 2025 world championship as a 6 ball challenge on a 3by 6! But it's not too late to change.

Amateurs follow Pros in a certain sense, Pros do not & should not follow amateurs. I'm not talking about the love for The Game. I'm talking about the playing of The Game. I'm putting The Game in capital letters as thought one even exists. It does not... except in the memories of some of us.

I stated why, in part, it went down hill because of the conflict of interest of that trade organization, the BCA.

Hence the BCA will not be doing anything to bring back The Game.

The Only way that I see anything along those lines happening is if the Professional Players take a hand in their own fate the way that the old Golf & Tennis Professional did. That will take some sacrifice & somehow I just do not see them up to the task.

It seems that the Old Pool Players that wanted to be Professionals were not really up to that task either or... they just did not look past their own immediate circumstance.

The only other way & hopefully in partnership with the players is for the right Money Man to come along that wants to give to set it right with no desire for being paid back & that for longevity reasons would be to put it in the hands of a true Professional Players Association, like the PGA of America is for Golf.

Other sports have governing bodies but Pool really does not. So... the players will have to establish & be that body or establish a separate body & support it until it can support itself.

There's the booga boo... support, monetary support. Hence that rich guy or gal that just wants to save The Game.

Yes, the Brits Respect & Honor their Game...

And they do it with Tradition.

Enough of my 2 cent rant that will serve no purpose.

Best 2 YOU, Sir.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The difference between pool here and Europe is an easy example of what we should move pool to.

Some of Europe's best players prefer living in the US of A.....
....Taiwan is now following the Pinoy's lead in this respect also.

America is still the best place in the world to be a pool player.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Why does there need to be only one game?

Why not something like the decathlon that occurs in the Olympics?

Something like the Legends of Pool series that was on some time ago where the match is say 8 ball, one pocket and straight as a tie breaker.

The idea that there needs to be only game pro level game is the biggest issue in pool.

I've always thought action matches should be played with about five (5) different games and played even. 10 ball, 8 ball, 14.1, 1-hole. 15 ball rotation would be my picks, but whatever. Johnnyt

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
If you really want pool to get a breath of fresh air you need to get the youth. Tight ass pool room owners need to implement a youth program in each and every room nationwide with free pool on Saturdays and Sundays from say noon to 6 for everyone under the age of 18 to get them in there playing. These kids will buy cues, cases, food, drink, snacks and grow up with your business. Poolrooms die out with the customers who are aging and dying off.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I thought I covered all the recent comments thus far, in my original post. At least I tried. And RandyG, please name one thing the BCA has done for the betterment of promoting pool tournaments to the masses? They seem to be all political, and only out to promote the pool industry, not the players!

PS..Sure there can be other games besides 8ball. But hasn't snooker proven that the 'one game' concept is very workable, and much more acceptable? They seem to fill the stands at all of their events. The Mosconi Cup is the only event (also promoted by Barry Hearn)..that showcases American players.

PS..I won't even bother going into the farce that Barry Berman has created out of our "World 9ball Championship"! :(

The pool players are part of the pool industry.

randyg