In pursuit of knowledge regarding livelihood.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean to sound like such a detractor, just a realist. My advice to you is play as much as you possibly can and always strive to make that play fruitful. It will become evident in a short amount if time whether it is a feasible goal.

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are too old at 22 to be a professional pool player. By this time in your life you should have a closet full of trophys and had 5 leaches offering to back you. You need to be at your peak earning power now.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had to pawn his computer to afford the new revo shaft 😊
Just messing with you, Sam.

Too funny! I remember Sam and his videos, but wasn't he the guy " pro in 5 years...." or something like that? Honestly I had forgotten about him till I read a post by Justin last night that made me think of him. Whatever happened anyway? I remember he was pissed off about something and threatening to leave ?

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must develop physically, mentally, emotionally. Three must do's:
1. Read everything on Dr. Dave's site
2. Take a lesson from Scott Lee.
3. Play all games.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you aren't a top shortstop by 22, you aren't going to make it. Why not pick a career path , a trade, whatever and work at tgat awhile? You can be set for life and play pool too.

There is no money in this game. Most guys peak by the time they hit 30.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Pool is a vocation from which there is no return. Anybody with the worst job will probably be ahead of all but a few pool players.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Pool is a vocation from which there is no return. Anybody with the worst job will probably be ahead of all but a few pool players.

Correct.
Pool is a vocation without a vacation. Why? Because you won't be able to afford a vacation. :smile:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
First thing's first, get out of the bar and go to a real pool hall and keep at it until you're the best player there, then move on. Most players never get past this point.

Pool is a funny game. The better you get at it, the more you realize how much you suck.

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I informed my Parents of an idea/business proposition I wanted to pursue. My Father informed me I was a complete Idiot and would be broke in a year. Well, I retired 5 years ago at the age of 45 and I don't take direction from anybody, get up when I want, go to bed when I want, and do whatever I want. So to all the naysayers, you never know unless you try and who wants to wake up at an old age and think "what if". Have fun at work tomorrow, I think I'm going fishing. Brian.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I informed my Parents of an idea/business proposition I wanted to pursue. My Father informed me I was a complete Idiot and would be broke in a year. Well, I retired 5 years ago at the age of 45 and I don't take direction from anybody, get up when I want, go to bed when I want, and do whatever I want. So to all the naysayers, you never know unless you try and who wants to wake up at an old age and think "what if". Have fun at work tomorrow, I think I'm going fishing. Brian.

I commend you for having the confidence and believing in yourself. That is the first step. That is everything. It's the choices. Pool is not a good choice. There are plenty of top notch players are nowhere after a lifetime. If the OP said he was thinking of retailing pool equipment or opening an arcade with tables and amusements I'd support that.
How about if we give the OP the courtesy of chance. Maybe he could post a short vid of his game. It's there or it's not there. If he wants solid opinions let him show us what he has and a poll of yay or nay would be in order. He'll get honest opinions. He can make a decision after that. Fair enough.

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I commend you for having the confidence and believing in yourself. That is the first step. That is everything. It's the choices. Pool is not a good choice. There are plenty of top notch players are nowhere after a lifetime. If the OP said he was thinking of retailing pool equipment or opening an arcade with tables and amusements I'd support that.
How about if we give the OP the courtesy of chance. Maybe he could post a short vid of his game. It's there or it's not there. If he wants solid opinions let him show us what he has and a poll of yay or nay would be in order. He'll get honest opinions. He can make a decision after that. Fair enough.

That sounds perfect. By the way I wasn't real confident, I'm just the most tenacious, stubborn person on the face of the earth. Brian.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
M.Ghost;5558757 I'm able to put my focus less on work and more on perfecting my pool game said:
Thats good youre only 22. At 20 hours a week of practice, you should be ready by the time your social security kicks in. Go for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then you may be ready before youre 30.

Seriously; take some classes with that extra time you have and play recreationally. I cant say we all havent had that same dream cross our minds a few times in our youths but our good sense (for most of us) prevailed.

Nonetheless. Wish you good luck.

Last edited:

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats good youre only 22. At 20 hours a week of practice, you should be ready by the time your social security kicks in. Go for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then you may be ready before youre 30.

Seriously; take some classes with that extra time you have and play recreationally. I cant say we all havent had that same dream cross our minds a few times in our youths but our good sense (for most of us) prevailed.

Nonetheless. Wish you good luck.
I missed that about 20 hours a week.I practice 20 hours a week and work full time......Also I know a few local guys that make high 5 figures working and are still good shortstops.

M.Ghost

Wow guys, Im really impressed with the community here, and the interactions and suggestions, just amazing, the support.

Ive got a few older books like Byrnes' new standard of Pool and Billiards, Morins' Pool techniques and tricks, and "Minnesota Fats" on pool. Apart from those books Ive got an active sub to both Joe Tuckers' profesional pocket billiards, He has amazing videos for racks and breaking (the most important shot of the game IMHO) and Max Eberles' Pro Pool Academy. I also had a chance to look at VEPS from Dr. Dave from a friend in San Marcos, most of the basic and a good portion of the advanced shots I already comprehended, but that doesn't mean theres not plenty of room for improvement however :)

I started at 18 with great instruction from my father who tells me that he could at one point name the players in a state that could beat him. I feel like im off to a good start with the information at my disposal, and watching the top professionals play for hours on hours on Youtube really helps me see and gauge how much more practice I need, and it seems obtainable.

Now I cant break and run rack after rack yet, but I do get those games in where it seems like I'm playing above my level, my opponent never leaves his chair, and my break is working fantastic, it just comes down to the level of consistency at which I'm able to play. Having started playing 9 ball first my focus was on position play, but then when I bought a BCA rule book and found One Pocket and 14.1, I realized I should focus on the other aspects of the game just as vigorously, like safeties, shot selection, the mental game, etc.

I haven't had any one on one instruction except from my dad, but with my gopro I hope to analyze my stroke, shot selection and other fundamentals to ensure I am setting up a great foundation for later game play, I have several other tools I use, like laminated table diagrams and a dry erase marker so I can record shots I miss in a game, and can later go back to practice those particular shots. Thankfully the pool room/bar (I don't drink while playing) I go to have good diamond bar boxes and one 9ft Brunswick? and the pool is typically free so Im able to come and go as I please.

As far as dedication to the game, I've seen that it does take remarkable consistency to play at those top levels, which is why I don't settle for the beat up balls they give you at the pool room, I bring my own set and a magic rack, the balls I polish every week or so, but I'm ensuring not only BCA equip. standards but also an even higher level of consistency on my break, equal weight distribution, ball rolls, skid, etc. My playing cue has been a Joss209 with a original Z shaft for 3 years now, and I foolishly sold my McDermott Stinger jump/break for a sneaky pete cue I use to break with right now, I used to be against gloves, right up until I started playing with mine, now I try not to play without it.

Also back to the example of SVB, which would be a best case scenario, hes made well over a million playing pool and has made well over 100k per year in the last 8 years with the exception of 2010 ($93,391), and I do remember a comment in a match where the commentator explained that Shane approached said commentator about what he should do with his winnings in his savings ( some 250k If i remember correctly), Shane opened up a apartment complex I think, in
Sioux Falls, so I would count him among the few sportsmen across any sport that has wisely invested his money, in comparison to million dollar contracted professional basketball players broke soon after retiring from the league.