APA US Amateur is triple tough

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Historically the US Amateur seems to get a regular group of naysayers who say the tournament is a joke because it offers no prize money. The final four this year are
Bobby Stoval fargo 703
Blake Baker Fargo 714
Abrin Schaad Fargo 738
Chris Gentile Fargo 664

finishing 5/6th
David Rowell fargo 687
Mike Leigh Fargo 693

Plus there are so many other great players who finished further up like Parks, Abernathy, etc. It would be interesting to see the fargorate of the entire board. Maybe others can point out the high fargos that were entered that I missed.

This event just keeps getting tougher and tougher. Congrats to whoever wins this, the event is incredibly stout for a no prize money amateur event.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the stream the last two days and was impressed by the play. They weren’t perfect but I enjoyed watching. The only thing I would ask the APA is to institute a shot clock.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Historically the US Amateur seems to get a regular group of naysayers who say the tournament is a joke because it offers no prize money. The final four this year are
Bobby Stoval fargo 703
Blake Baker Fargo 714
Abrin Schaad Fargo 738
Chris Gentile Fargo 664

finishing 5/6th
David Rowell fargo 687
Mike Leigh Fargo 693

Plus there are so many other great players who finished further up like Parks, Abernathy, etc. It would be interesting to see the fargorate of the entire board. Maybe others can point out the high fargos that were entered that I missed.

This event just keeps getting tougher and tougher. Congrats to whoever wins this, the event is incredibly stout for a no prize money amateur event.

That would be some tough action to fade anywhere. Yikes. Looks like Parks is not going to repeat ?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1st -- Blake Baker
2nd -- Bobby Stovall
3rd -- Abrin Schaad
4th -- Christopher Gentile

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got ninth. Fargo of 639. Small number of scores to get that rating though. I lost to Rowell and Leigh by scores of 7-5 both matches

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's always been the case as long as I can remember.

I wonder if anyone knows how often that person cashes in the US Open?
In the past, it was actually “winner gets free entry into a pro event of their choice.”

They always chose US Open because it had the steepest entry fee.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Brian parks was retiring after last year?

Bobby Stoval fargo 703
Blake Baker Fargo 714
Abrin Schaad Fargo 738
Chris Gentile Fargo 664

finishing 5/6th
David Rowell fargo 687
Mike Leigh Fargo 693

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many have been kicked out for being too good for the APA?

No one that i know of. You have to win a qualifier to get here and you don't have to be an APA player to play. Entry fee is a little higher for non APA players though.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall anyone ever downplaying the difficulty of winning this tourney (or finishing high). It's just an awfully expensive tourney for those of us outside the region.

Congrats to those that played well.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Maybe next year our resident old school player Brian, can show these league boys how the game is played.

LOL. Oh, yeah, he could get smoked pretty much the top 24 finishers in the tourney. Maybe more ;)

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Well your way is paid through winning a qualifier, and there are more important things in life than money.

A friend of mine and past winner who have locked horns a number of times told me the lack of money in this tourney is made up for the fact that his name and year he won is on the trophy forever. In fact he loves the fact that ever time a picture of that trophy is used his name is front and center.

I don't recall anyone ever downplaying the difficulty of winning this tourney (or finishing high). It's just an awfully expensive tourney for those of us outside the region.

Congrats to those that played well.