Thoroughbred Tips Introduction Giveaway!!!

JayTS

Certified Donator
Silver Member
So this tip that you developed for some reason looks just like the PreciSion tips that you purchased just prior to venturing out and making your own.. Good attempt at copying and using another cuemaker to help promote but I assure you that it's just another copy of what other people have spent time developing.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Thoroughbred Tips hit the market this week and as an introduction to the market and to AZbilliards, I am giving away 1 free tip to the first ten people who reply to this thread. The only requirements are that participants like a medium soft to medium hit (that's what I'm sending) and they offer a review on this thread (good or bad).

Thoroughbred Tips background:

Richard Harris of Blue Grass Cues gave me the opportunity to develop a tip to replace Kamui as his standard tip on all cues. Richard required they must play well to be worthy of being put on his cues, they must hold chalk well, and they must be affordably priced. The tip I developed meets all three of those criteria and is priced at $10 per tip. Every single tip is tested for hardness using 3 separate tests and are then divided into 6 hardness groups (Very Soft, Soft, Medium Soft, Medium, Medium Hard and Hard) based on a Shore D Durometer scale. The tips are mainly made to fall between Soft and Medium Hard and when they test outside this range, I offer Very Soft and Hard.

For comparison, the Very Soft and Soft hit softer than a Kamui Brown Super Soft. The Medium hits slightly softer than a Kamui Brown Medium. For more information, you can visit the website at www.thoroughbredtips.com.

For the entire month of August, AZbilliards members get a 10% discount. At checkout, click on the coupon button and type in "Azbilliards10%".

Reviewers List:
1. Black-balled
2. Rimfirejunkie
3. Mike81 - shipped
4. Captainjko - shipped
5. Tony_in_MD - shipped
6. mattb - shipped
7. GideonF - shipped
8. radge69 - shipped
9. jokrswylde
10. trophycue
11. Decent Dennis
12. Detroitfan0877

Thanks,

Kelly

I would like to try one.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, you got me! Lol

Yes, I bought a medium and a soft for someone on my league team. I do all of their tip replacements for basically free. They just pay for the tip which I said I would pick up. I also bought some G2's, Ultraskins, Lepros and Triangles. Everyone likes different things, tips are no different. Maybe I should have purchased a Hard Precision tip so I could copy it too.

Next time have Dennis Searing do some better research for you or call Richard Harris and ask him yourself why these tips came to exist. It wasn't to copy Dennis Searing, it was to replace the junk tips Kamui has been producing lately that Richard used for the last 17 years.

You must think I'm some kind of wizard to produce tips that you say copy the Precision tips only a short time after I bought the Precision tips. I guess that makes me a whole lot smarter than Dennis if it supposedly took him 3 years to develop his tip. If I had started selling the Thoroughbred tips before Dennis, would that make Dennis a copy cat? I'm sure someone way before Dennis made 8 layered pigskin tips.

So this tip that you developed for some reason looks just like the PreciSion tips that you purchased just prior to venturing out and making your own.. Good attempt at copying and using another cuemaker to help promote but I assure you that it's just another copy of what other people have spent time developing.

Last edited:

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great tips!

I just sent in my second order. I tried the MS, M and MH because I'm partial to harder tips. I like all 3, but the MH will be my favorite. I used to use Stingray tips 15 years ago, but stopped when they added the outline of a stingray on them. I felt they just didn't grab as well as they used to. These grab well. Try them, you'll like them.

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips

If anyone knows how a tip is suppose to hit it's,Richard he was and still is a great player and cue maker.Rich aka the skunk.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been busy so hadn’t gotten the trial tip installed until a few weeks ago. MS - installed nice, cut very easily. Flattened out after a few hours of play, reshaped and haven’t touched it since. Holds chalk, performs as expected. Hasn’t mushroomed at all. A quality tip that I wouldn’t hesitate installing another when this one is gone.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I posted this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5YTEDBZ5DU&t=2s ) a couple months ago for the review and so people could see the action and hear the tink... When I played the 4 ball with just a little high left, the cue ball took off perfectly.... The Thoroughbred tip (MH) is on my cue now and will most likely stay..... I tried a hard and it hit really nice, but felt more comfortable with the medium hard......

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip Review

I got my tip installed and have about 8 or so hours of play on it.

The tip holds chalk extremely well. In fact so well that I would probably order one in the next hardness up. The medium played more like a soft with the grip it had.

I like the fact each tip had the hardness marked with it. You can literally order tips with exactly the same hardness each time. Perfect for people like me who are very peculiar about what I use.

I am using this on an Andy Gilbert with SS joint and his standard maple shaft.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this tip! Plays well holds chalk well also. Haven’t had any issues with it glazing or mushrooming. It’s easy to shape and spins the cue ball nicely. I installed one on my sons cue and he likes it as well, so I would recommend giving this a try if your in need of a new tip! Thanks for the free one gutshot

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was given one of these tips in this thread, and I have just recently put it on so I thought it only right to give my thoughts. I put the tip on a Pechauer 30", 11.75mm LD shaft...

The guy who put it on for me immediately noted the tip " had a good color to it". I don't know what that means, but thought it was peculiar.

The first think I noticed was that it held chalk really well, and continues to do so. I have played for a week 2-3 hours per day. with no mushrooming or deformation.

I got the "soft" version and boy is it ever. I would probably prefer the medium, but it seems to grab the cue ball really well. Overall, I like it much better than the Pechauer gold navigator tip that it replaced...and truth be told, maybe a tad better than the ultraskin medium I have on another shaft...I would have no problem buying these or recommending them.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I haven't used these yet,but judging from the pics I've seen,they sure look a lot like the original 25.00 tip,the mid 90's tin can Moori.

Those things kicked ASS :thumbup:.

Hopefully,these are just as good. Tommy D.