Wondering about this cue..

offaxis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi im thinking in near the future of ordering another cue. I have a Joss cue w a Tiger X shaft not the LD one. Both actually purchased off here several years ago. I like the look of this cue but wondering how would cork hold up. Im also a fisherman and have several rods w cork and they do mostly hold up but some do crack. Or has Mcdermott treated the cork to prevent this...Thanks...

Attachments

• mcdermott.jpg
    mcdermott.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 680

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a McD with cork wrap from the 80s it aged well and if i have to get it replaced at some point, so what? I think it's a fun looking cue and love the way cork feels

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A really neat looking cue for a fisherman- cork kept in a dry, environment should be fine for years. Keep it away from a lot of moisture or heat.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Cork wraps last a long time with no issue. If you're playing on a fishing boat in the ocean, it may break down faster

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purchasing a new McDermott if the cork did break down I think that is covered by their warranty.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi im thinking in near the future of ordering another cue. I have a Joss cue w a Tiger X shaft not the LD one. Both actually purchased off here several years ago. I like the look of this cue but wondering how would cork hold up. Im also a fisherman and have several rods w cork and they do mostly hold up but some do crack. Or has Mcdermott treated the cork to prevent this...Thanks...
Cork cue wraps are the nuts imo. One of the best feeling wraps out there. They will get dirty but big deal. I have had a couple and they never cracked. Martin at SuperiorCues has the best. Its a rubberized cork. Very good.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this day and age Mcdermott trys to keep up but find the quality of wood has really went down. I wouldnt spend a dime on one.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cork handled cue and the way I sometimes chalk gets dust in my grip hand...which then got cork dirty.

About 5 seconds with a magic eraser, as good as new again.

I would not hesitate to have a cork handled cue again.

offaxis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys it is a interesting looking cue. Im holding one of my rods w the cork handle trying to see how it feels actually playing with a cue w a cork grip..

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be from the UK..?
I would prefer a Jack Crevalle on there :grin:

Ha! You’re killing me. I grew up on the coast of Mississippi in a house full of sailors who loved all boating and occasionally would take me fishing. The first big fish we ever caught was when I was about 8 or so. It was a 23lb Jack Crevalle and my folks had it mounted for me. Mostly because they didn’t know any better. I still have that damn thing but my wife won’t let me hang it in the house so it’s on the back porch. It had a pretty rough time in college and is missing some fins and looks pretty beat up.

I think I’d want a yellowfin or a hog fish on my cue, but really any fish is cool. Jack and Carpe included.

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so do people have fishing rods that have pool memorabilia on them? I’ve seen a few cues and cases over the years that feature fishing themes. I’ve always wondered if it goes the other way. Like a tackle box that has pool balls inlaid on it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea me to maybe a carp....( mostly a carp fisherman)
You fish for carp on purpose?? Where i live those never see the inside of a boat. I will give a cooking tip tho. I always thought they were trash fish until guy at Chinese rest. told me to cook them to use a pressure cooker. Makes all that bony cartilage just dissolve. I couldn't believe how it tasted.