Black ferrule on black shafts?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Thoughts on a black ferrule on a black shaft with a soft Kamui black clear tip? Will the colour make it hard to aim?

im gettin a black shaft and it must have a black ferrule,
wont matter to my aiming, i just want it to look kool

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the center line of the shaft.for aiming.....the ferrule and tip only for seeing where I should hit the cueball. Black shaft and ferrule are perfectly fine for me. Mitch

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Revo (black/black), Cynergy (black/white) and a couple maple shafts (wood/white). So I’ve played with a variety of combinations.

Shaft-based Aiming
I’ve also tried a few aiming systems with each cue including the SVB system fractionally aligning the shaft to the edge of the object ball. I would think this system is most likely to let shaft/ferrule color irk someone. It made no difference to me at all. It all contrasts good enough. Nothing washed out together.

Object-ball / Contact-point Aiming
Today I do pretty much all my aiming while still standing. I’ve just got better at aligning contact points before stepping into the shot. When down on the shot, I try to make no adjustments unless I’m adding spin and compensating for deflection. Otherwise no aspect of the shaft really matters all that much to my aiming at all. If I’m thinking about aim while down on the shot, I’ve already missed.

Tip Contact
So really shaft/ferrule color is not a factor in my aiming either way. I feel like most of my misses are not because of my aim but because of my stroke. If I pause at the cueball before final delivery expecting one tip of center-inside English, is that where I struck it or did I drop my shoulder and hit a tip and a half of high-inside instead? In this scenario, the black shaft/ferrule contrasts nicely against the white cueball. But I’m betting I’d be just fine with white/white.

TL;DR - meh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoughts on a black ferrule on a black shaft with a soft Kamui black clear tip? Will the colour make it hard to aim?
The main thing is how somebody's feeling about that is going to help to have yours? The only way to see how you feel about that and if you're comfortable with that is to have your own experience... Sorry for being mr.obviousness;)

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI everyone...The Revo shaft has NO ferrule...only a thin black piece to cap the end of the shaft.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI everyone...The Revo shaft has NO ferrule...only a thin black piece to cap the end of the shaft.

Scott Lee

True how ever I took off and put a Orange pad on it and like it much better , I kinda started a trend as some other guys like it and did the same

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

True Scott. My post said ferrule but I meant just the tip for the cue ball contact point. Mitch

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Think I read here that SVB suggested that cuetec add the small white "ferrule" while he was testing their carbon shaft... Didn't read why, just assumed he felt it would aid his aiming technique.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think I read here that SVB suggested that cuetec add the small white "ferrule" while he was testing their carbon shaft... Didn't read why, just assumed he felt it would aid his aiming technique.

I don't know why either, but I'll assume it is because zombies.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
glad mines coming monday then
ill color in the white with a marker if there is any

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My McDermott iPro 12mm has a black ferrule, which was partially why I purchased the cue it came with. It's not bad, but I'm not really a fan.

The dark color is weird at first when you get down on the ball, but got used to it quickly.

When it comes to looks though, a black ferrule is like a black car...only looks good when clean.

My biggest gripe with a black ferrule is that you can see all the scuff/scratch marks on it, while a white ferrule I just use slippy fine-grit papers and twist in my hand to get the ferrule to look fresh and clean (no lathe). Feel that if I try this with the black ferrule, it will look worse...not sure though.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have a very difficult time sighting down a black shaft. I'm playing a painted white CF shaft for that reason. I can aim so much easier.