Motor Controller

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My motor controller died on my mid america lathe. I bought another resistor and replaced the bad one and it burnt back out again. I talked to Todd and he told me what a new one costs. My question, my old one did last 9 years, but is there something better I should buy or just get another like I had?

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I worded it wrong, I have got in touch with Todd, I have the mount, the motor is fine. I am not sure if I should go back with that controller or if there is a much better one that I should use.

Dave Hlad

Registered
I would just get a new one. The first one I got didn't last long. The second one I've had for 8 years. I try to unplug it when I'm not using it. It will last longer.

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did buy a new one, it works great. I have unplugged everything in the shop for the 9 or 10 years that I have worked in it out of fear of a power surge or something like a mouse chewing up something a burning down the building.

mikesan

Registered
DC motor controller

I went through 3 of the plastic ones pretty quickly.
Several times I flipped to reverse by mistake while it was running. They don't like that.
My solution was to get a KBMD drive. The KBMD-240DW/FBR-KB from Galco.com
$199. Problem solved. Comes with reverse switch, brake, and adjustable soft start.
I use it with the 1/2hp motor from Mid America.

Attachments

• IMG_1516 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1516 (1).jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 481

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice, this is something I will consider if/when my plastic one dies again. I do have to mention, I really like the new controller I got from Todd. It has a much slower low speed than my old one and it is really nice and works great. Where did you get the parts to add the linear rails to the taig style lathe? I think I would like a bed like that with the carriage on the linear rails.

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Several times I flipped to reverse by mistake while it was running. They don't like that.

$199. Problem solved. Comes with reverse switch, brake, and adjustable soft start.

What kind of lathe is this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

NICECUE317

Registered
Hello is this a custom made lathe in the photo posted by Mikesan? Have haven't seen one before with the lineal rail set up. Very nice!!

mikesan

Registered
I got it from Custom Cue Lathes and added the motor/controller, tool post, and tailstock. I am now boring out an "Axminster" chuck to upgrade it. I will have a fortune in it when It is finally done.

Here is the info but the website is shut down, he may have quit selling them.

Bassel 248-884-4469

www.customcuelathes.com

customcuelathes@gmail.com (not working now)

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Bassel was an engineer that came on here years ago trash talking most other lathe builders in our field, made lots of promises, took orders, made some lathes, then turned into vaporware leaving people with no support, and some being owed money. The lathes he did manage to sell seemed more like proto-types and had issues. As a side note He ran into issues selling his crap on Ebay too... His handle here was customcuelathe, do a search and all will be revealed......lol
Dave

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
My Enco mini lathe has a controller using the excellent KB KBLC-240D board.

I paid 75.00 for it used. ZERO issues other than the FOR switch and pot need to be replaced.

If I ever need to replace it,I'll be looking for the same setup or the KB controller pictured above. Tommy D.

rack runner

Registered
DC motor controller

Aloha Mikesan, not trying to hijack, but what kind of tail stock is that on your lathe?

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My motor controller died on my mid america lathe. I bought another resistor and replaced the bad one and it burnt back out again. I talked to Todd and he told me what a new one costs. My question, my old one did last 9 years, but is there something better I should buy or just get another like I had?
nine years is pretty good

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bassel was an engineer that came on here years ago trash talking most other lathe builders in our field, made lots of promises, took orders, made some lathes, then turned into vaporware leaving people with no support, and some being owed money. The lathes he did manage to sell seemed more like proto-types and had issues. As a side note He ran into issues selling his crap on Ebay too... His handle here was customcuelathe, do a search and all will be revealed......lol
Dave
There have been a couple of disreputable lathe builders in this forum. Stick to the good ones. They are the best in the world and support their product fully. In addition they are long time members of this forum and the pool world and respected by everyone. The cream comes to the top. The bad fade away.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I bought a set of carbide sanding mandrels from Bassel........... the 2 pieces were off by .010 in.......... I returned them for a refund................ I bought a set from Chris Hightower.................. been using them for 7 years...................

Kim