Park Billiard Academy,Neptune N.J.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking a long shot here. Do any of you old timers remember this pool room.
It was commonly know as Pokes after its owner Sam " One Poke" Fauver.
It was located on Corlies Ave in Neptune N.J. It closed in the late ' 60s or so.
It was just a small 7 table room mostly for High School kids,but had a number of very good adult players.
It was co owned by Poke and Uncle Mike and the houseman was Fast Eddie Sonntag.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Was that Joe Frady's home room?
I liked his game and I liked the man.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that Joe Frady's home room?
I liked his game and I liked the man.

Joe hung out there as a kid before he started to play.
His home room for awhile was in Neptune City and I think it was called The Lucky Cue.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
My father grew up there. I heard those names many times.

Pops is Dennis Wilson and grew up in Neptune and Asbury Park.

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking a long shot here. Do any of you old timers remember this pool room.
It was commonly know as Pokes after its owner Sam " One Poke" Fauver.
It was located on Corlies Ave in Neptune N.J. It closed in the late ' 60s or so.
It was just a small 7 table room mostly for High School kids,but had a number of very good adult players.
It was co owned by Poke and Uncle Mike and the houseman was Fast Eddie Sonntag.

I was there a few weeks ago on a Sunday night. Tables played very nice and I think there were more than 7 tables. But there were no serious players there, but a fair number of social players. I asked the counterman if there were any one pocket players and he said not often.

It's BYOB, too.

Cory

P.S. The place I went to is called "Players Billiards", might be a different place. But it was in Neptune City or very near there.

4rails88

Registered
Grew up 5 minutes from neptune in Belmar, that Pool room was before my time though. Players billiards is one of the few Pool halls left in the central nj area but it isnt the one he was referring to as players is 20 minutes north in the eatontown/Tinton falls area.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Park Billiards was before my time but a lot of the Park crowd went to the Ballroom, before that too, closed down.

Players is in Eatontown and isnt the same room. Its a social room with a weekly tourney on Wed. They stop it during the Summer and pick it up again after Labor day.

Eric

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My father grew up there. I heard those names many times.

Pops is Dennis Wilson and grew up in Neptune and Asbury Park.

Kd

I probably knew your father but the name does not ring a bell.
It was 50+ years ago.
ask him if he remembers Bruce Tucker.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Neptune" Joe Frady. I used to watch him play with all the big cats at West End Billiards.

While not well known outside of the New Jersey area Neptune Joe was one hell of a player in his prime.
I played a ton of pool with him and learned a lot.
When he was on he was one of the best pure shot makers ever.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
While not well known outside of the New Jersey area Neptune Joe was one hell of a player in his prime.

I played a ton of pool with him and learned a lot.

When he was on he was one of the best pure shot makers ever.

Neptune Joe got around a bit. He passed through Baltimore more than a few times in the early 90's when I last saw him, rough action for the cash.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I probably knew your father but the name does not ring a bell.
It was 50+ years ago.
ask him if he remembers Bruce Tucker.
He said do you remember Ernie luager a protégé of Sam one poke!

He swore by the bakery next door. Plus, Matches between young blood and ??? For big money in a brief case!

Said, there was another great player that looked like Sonny Corleone from the godfather!

Kd

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said do you remember Ernie luager a protégé of Sam one poke!

He swore by the bakery next door. Plus, Matches between young blood and ??? For big money in a brief case!

Said, there was another great player that looked like Sonny Corleone from the godfather!

Kd

The player he mentioned was Ernie Lager.
Don't remember a guy that looked like Sonny Corleone but that could have been the houseman Fast Eddie.
And there were real made men that came in.One was our local boss Lucky Percelle.
And yes the bakery next door was great. I probably ate a 1000 chocolate brownies from there.
There was a black guy named Youngblood a real cool '60s cat and a pretty good pool player.
Ernie,Youngblood and Butch Wright would travel up to North Jersey to play the likes of Colivita,Flemming and other good players. At the time I was like 16 or so and they would take me.
My job was to carry the cases and go get coffee and food. I was the gofor.
One time on a day road trip they sent me out for food but the closest place was too far to walk.I had no drivers license and Ernie had just bought a year old Cadillac.
He let me drive it after putting the fear of God in me to be careful.
Ernie loved that car.
One night Ernie and fast Eddie matched up for some serious money for that time period.
Over the span of 3 nights Eddie beat him for $1800.
Eddie bought a car and it was always referred to as the Erniemoble.
Ernie hated that.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
measure...stopped and visited frady two weeks ago...lookin rougher than ever..hangs out at qball in toms river nj.
time to give em a call

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
measure...stopped and visited frady two weeks ago...lookin rougher than ever..hangs out at qball in toms river nj.
time to give em a call

Hey Bruce just making sure you read this post.

According to this link he may still be giving lessons.

http://www.qballnj.com/about-us

And its a long shot but found a pic on line. I do not know who these guys are for sure but Joe's name was mentioned near this pic.

Attachments

• bilde.jpg
    bilde.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 542

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Bruce just making sure you read this post.

According to this link he may still be giving lessons.

http://www.qballnj.com/about-us

And its a long shot but found a pic on line. I do not know who these guys are for sure but Joe's name was mentioned near this pic.

I've seen that picture and yes Joe is still giving lessons in N.J.
That's joe on the left.
The story is that Joe and the guy on the right used to caddy as kids at a golf course.
Then they were both drafted into the Army and wound up serving together in Viet Nam.
Joe was a hell of a player back in the day.
A couple of gears up from me at my best.