Expo Thoughts

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Florida and I considered going to this this year's Expo for the first time. But after reading some of the posts regarding the event, and watching the stream of today's final, I'm glad I used the money to re-cover my Diamond Pro-Am instead.

One of the my primary reasons to go was watch the pro tournaments. But after hearing the $20 per day charge, plus seeing today that everyone was sitting on backless bleachers, I mean really. You tell me they couldn't at least placed chairs on a set of risers? Then they change the format to single elimination for the final 8 (how ironic the 10 ball was one by John Morra - with one loss prior). It didn't appear to be a very well run event and hearing the comments made by Morra after the event seems to back my opinion up.

On a separate note, how does this ass-clown Upstate Al get to do what he does? Has anyone ever heard a more unprepared announcer who doesn't know the score, has obviously no bracket sheet at his disposal to update how players got to where they are, has no idea whose left in the tournament, has no setup to keep him informed on what is going on in active matches, and treats the entire process like having a couple of meaningless buddies over to BS in his living room. Despite getting over 8 hours of action on today's stream for only $15, I fell like I was ripped off for having to put up with this buffoon, which I didn't at times (thanks to the mute button). I know he's been around for years, but seriously, if this sport ever wants to really draw stream revenue, it needs to step up it's game, and getting rid of these types would be a good start. A college freshman majoring in broadcast journalism would be a major upgrade.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Florida and I considered going to this this year's Expo for the first time. But after reading some of the posts regarding the event, and watching the stream of today's final, I'm glad I used the money to re-cover my Diamond Pro-Am instead.

One of the my primary reasons to go was watch the pro tournaments. But after hearing the $20 per day charge, plus seeing today that everyone was sitting on backless bleachers, I mean really. You tell me they couldn't at least placed chairs on a set of risers? Then they change the format to single elimination for the final 8 (how ironic the 10 ball was one by John Morra - with one loss prior). It didn't appear to be a very well run event and hearing the comments made by Morra after the event seems to back my opinion up.

On a separate note, how does this ass-clown Upstate Al get to do what he does? Has anyone ever heard a more unprepared announcer who doesn't know the score, has obviously no bracket sheet at his disposal to update how players got to where they are, has no idea whose left in the tournament, has no setup to keep him informed on what is going on in active matches, and treats the entire process like having a couple of meaningless buddies over to BS in his living room. Despite getting over 8 hours of action on today's stream for only $15, I fell like I was ripped off for having to put up with this buffoon, which I didn't at times (thanks to the mute button). I know he's been around for years, but seriously, if this sport ever wants to really draw stream revenue, it needs to step up it's game, and getting rid of these types would be a good start. A college freshman majoring in broadcast journalism would be a major upgrade.
Gutsy post from a guy who's only posted like 12 times here. You're entitled to your opinion; guess that's what forums are about.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It cost me $45 for a Friday, Saturday, Sunday pass just to get In the front door which basically gives you access to the trade show booths, food court, bathrooms and a bunch of amateur events on 7' tables. Now there's a deal.

It was $10 per session on Friday and then $20 a session Saturday and Sunday. There were two session a day.

$145... Pretty expensive. Would have been another $35 if I did Thursday

Then add airfare from FL, hotel, car rental and food... Wow, wish I hadn't just added all that up.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It cost me $45 for a Friday, Saturday, Sunday pass just to get In the front door which basically gives you access to the trade show booths, food court, bathrooms and a bunch of amateur events on 7' tables. Now there's a deal.

It was $10 per session on Friday and then $20 a session Saturday and Sunday. There were two session a day.

Then add airfare from FL, hotel, car rental and food... Wow, wish I hadn't just added all that up.
That's spendy, for sure!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Travel from Florida and complain about a few more $$$?? The difference could have been made up eating Hot Dogs. I hope the Expo was huge success.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What did Morra have to say?

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Upstate Al loves pool and works his ass off promoting pool.

Op...Would you say this to his face in person?

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a beauty. Right after Morra won, Al races down to the floor to get him into their broadcast room. Morra does so and after congratulating him he immediately asked him of what he thought about the tournament, how it was run, and a 1-10 rating on the proceedings. It was obvious that this was not what he expected, but to his credit, he said the following. The lighting was terrible, he didn't understand why there are venue problems for an event that has been run for years, and he wondered why the purse money has been dropped over the past 2 years. Then Al gets Hopkins Jr. in the booth to basically defend the event. Everything got very uncomfortable at that point with everyone kinda dancing around the subject. Then the best - Al states this was not where he wanted this conversation to go, when in fact, he was the fool who started the whole thing. Nothing was asked of Morra about the finals, where this win takes him, and what he had to do to get to the final match. But he did give Al a rating of the event and that was a 7. I think he was being kind considering the ambush he walked into.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many of those so called amatures are worth the price of admission on thier own ,, there was also pro 10 ball one pocket and pro am not to mention big time action on the open floor ,, the crying over pennies has me buckled over in laughter luckily there is free toilet paper to use as tissues so you don't have to spend anymore money ,,
Might want to get the direct rout back to the airport also those gps directions might cost u another 10 :eek:

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Travel from Florida and complain about a few more $$$?? The difference could have been made up eating Hot Dogs. I hope the Expo was huge success.

For Christ's sake, would you quit complaining about what other people do with their own damn money. Youd be surprised how many people are tired of all your old asses thinking you run every thread on here. Go ahead and cry to admin again. Were used to it.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I heard the event ticket seller say when he was asked on Thursday morning all event pro pass cost $60 bucks!
The pit, pro am ,open events were free if you entered any event admission was included for all 4 days!! you missed a fun pool event!!
there were free 1 pocket pro s and 10 ball pros for free on Thursday and Friday plus the pro women there playing for vfree to watch!

The best was and if not there you missed it!
Earl Strickland doing a exhibition sponsored by Vapor he was dressed to kill and amazing as ever!!
full arm weight gear ,with a new 3inch in diameter cue butt,and his shoes had 3 inch soles!
i took photos on my phone but do not know how to put on here! sorry

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a beauty. Right after Morra won, Al races down to the floor to get him into their broadcast room. Morra does so and after congratulating him he immediately asked him of what he thought about the tournament, how it was run, and a 1-10 rating on the proceedings. It was obvious that this was not what he expected, but to his credit, he said the following. The lighting was terrible, he didn't understand why there are venue problems for an event that has been run for years, and he wondered why the purse money has been dropped over the past 2 years. Then Al gets Hopkins Jr. in the booth to basically defend the event. Everything got very uncomfortable at that point with everyone kinda dancing around the subject. Then the best - Al states this was not where he wanted this conversation to go, when in fact, he was the fool who started the whole thing. Nothing was asked of Morra about the finals, where this win takes him, and what he had to do to get to the final match. But he did give Al a rating of the event and that was a 7. I think he was being kind considering the ambush he walked into.

First of Einstein JM loves this event he's cut his teeth here since he was a Kid he's made thousands of dollars there in winning and in action ,I'm more than sure in fact I'm positive this in one of his favorite events he attends bar none ,
I don't know why anyone from Florida would even travel to the Xbo with all those great Florida pro tour events going on

Last edited:

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of Einstein JM loves this event he's cut his teeth here since he was a Kid he's made thousands of dollars there in winning and in action ,I'm more than sure in fact I'm positive this in one of his favorite events he attends bar none ,
I don't know why anyone from Florida would even travel to the Xbo with all those great Florida pro tour events going on

Look, I'm just telling you what he said. Give him a call - it sounds like you know him well and ask him about. Based on the ridiculous line of questioning, you'd never know he'd won a tournament, and one you claim is high on his list.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For Christ's sake, would you quit complaining about what other people do with their own damn money. Youd be surprised how many people are tired of all your old asses thinking you run every thread on here. Go ahead and cry to admin again. Were used to it.

I'm not quite sure what my post has to do with you. ...Feel free to put me on your "I' list and move on.

Everyone is entitled to complain about anything. You're the one complaining about $$$$. Tom's Wirth's book Controlled Aggression...was that the thread. You posted something about the price and some other unrelated stuff......the thread was about positive reviews and nothing else.
Have no idea who, what or why your post was removed. It should have remained as it served as a positive effect. Negative posts have a reverse effect. Ask the admin who canned you.
I support the vendors here if I believe in them. Excuse my suggestion about the hot dogs. That's how I cut back. Also cut back on smoking and drinking....it paid for my new Jb rugged.at SBE. No offense to the OP about the Oscar Meyers. Sorry if I did offend. Was not my intention.

Last edited:

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there for the whole duration starting Wed for the warm up and left today around 3:30. I played in the open amateur even though the price went up. My only complaint is all the so called amateurs in this event. I don't have a prayer of winning this event but it would be nice to cash. Only paying out to 64 players in a field of almost a thousand is tough with some of these guys as opponents. I did win both matches on Thursday and lost my 9:00 match on Friday. Still 2 from the money.

With that being said, I love watching the pros play but refused to pay more money to watch. My loss? Maybe. I did try to watch some of the One pocket but watching that game to me is like watching paint dry unless you get a very offensive player. I like playing the game, but can't watch it. I also watched Skyler's match in the semi-final pro-am against Jeremy. That kid is an animal. Amazing skills at such a young age.

Overall, good experience, and I will go back. Would love for the Amateur open to be double instead of single with 2 out of 3. At least if you drew a giant, you might be able to get the cash from the back door.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twenty bucks???????

If $20 is what kept you away from watching some of the best in the game play you must not really care much for the game.

you sound like players that want to play on the best equipment, but want $1.25 an hour pool time.

Up State Al LOVES the game, he's not a ESPN commentator, he gives it what he's got, sounds like you should try golf

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gutsy post from a guy who's only posted like 12 times here. You're entitled to your opinion; guess that's what forums are about.
That is exactly what they are about. Who wrote the rules that says you have to hit a posting quota before having or sharing an opinion? Is his post less valid because he is not more prolific?

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is exactly what they are about. Who wrote the rules that says you have to hit a posting quota before having or sharing an opinion. Is his post less valid because he is not more prolific?

:thumbup: yep and thumbs up for posting... to the OP...WELCOME ABOARD. Where are you in Florida?

Last edited: