In pursuit of knowledge regarding livelihood.

M.Ghost

Let me start off with some info about me, I am 22 without kids, a girlfriend, house payment or car payment, and have always been able to live below my means no matter how many hours I work (to an extent) meaning the whole atypical broke billiards player wouldn't be an obstacle for me. So without allot of typical bills I'm able to put my focus less on work and more on perfecting my pool game, my aim to is to practice 20 hours a week (I work about the same) to become the runout player I need to be to compete at top levels. I am just a local player with a vision and dedication and what appears to be a great opportunity to do something I would love doing for a living. That has actually prompted me to focus more on the living/professional aspect of most of the "professionals". I see that the 2nd (Fargorate) player in the world (SVB) has this year alone accumulate something like 38k, obviously I cant compete anywhere near that level yet, nor make that amount of money, but thats what my training and competition exposure are for, to prepare me for that competitive pressure. My first thoughts are that I've noticed through watching online tournaments like CSI BCAPL, CSI invitational, or any the US Open tournaments have what appear to be several tournament formats, some only open to members of that affiliation (pay dues, whatever) to compete, whereas others seem to be first come first serve, while yet even other tournaments are invitational only based on skill. How do I determine where tournaments are, and info about them. Ive read several forum posts about what constitutes a professional player, but I seem to be missing allot of info from going from a local player with a part time job to a professional who is able to manage their expenses and winnings from travel. I understand as a billiards player you need to sometimes act as the ref., your own coordinator, recruiter, the player, and everything in between. Which begs the question, what about sponsors, in most other sports you get chosen to be part of that team by a talent recruiter, but without that team aspect it leaves everything to the player, but where to start? To recap, I'm putting in serious training at a local bar, but im not sure how you go from a bar room player (whether the best or worst) to the professional status player who can win (in SVBs' case 140+k). As an example you don't see too many people that pop up from their basement literally from no-where to win championships, So is it (after loads of training) just firing the 50$ after 50$ into a tournament in hopes of your talent carrying you to the win or are there other options like tutoring Ive just not been able to find thus far. To be fair I certainly don't feel like im ready for tournaments esp. anything major, I would just like to understand the process that a professional pool player ( who makes a living doing it) goes through to find new tournaments to play in to possibly win money from, do they each have a little black book with Tournament names, dates, fees and checkboxes if they qualify? I'm serious about playing professionally, much more so, I feel, than most anyone at the local pool room even if I am not the best there. Im looking for a direction to head towards, a goal to try to reach.. anyone with ideas, pointers, or even a response from someone who was able to make that transition from local league play to USBT 9 ball championships for eg.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i wish you luck in your goals
your post would be easier to read with a few paragraphs and spaces
'just sayin

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Anyone can enter any Tournament as long as it isn't an Invitational.... literally you must be invited to such tournaments. I am entering the next Derby City Classic in One Pocket and Banks, yet I have never entered a major tournament in my life. Open Tournaments are pretty easily found, as they tend to have good advertisement. but there are places on the web (been a while since I went looking since I don't travel to play tournaments). that literally have lists of Weekly / Monthly Tournaments at bars and halls across the nation. A road player could base their track across the states with that in mind or just go to watering holes that other road players tip them off about and people that are willing to match up with whomever.

Playing in merciless environments is a sure path to either greatness or a complete mental breakdown..... or a little of both if you shoot with a 7 foot stick and wear ass-weights. But in any event, may you shoot straight and have fun.

Lesh

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

if you are serious then now your journey starts.
Play and learn all the games there are and esp. do a weekly round of Carom (not 3 cushion, it's too hard). This will teach you creativity, how to billard and use cushions, natural angles, etc. Don't bother with a Carom cue, just use your regular one.

Get an instructor to check your game for flaws to work on - don't believe all the fads instructors usually teach ("my way is the best way") but let him give you pointers.
And heavily work on your mental game. Believe me, you are very young and energetic, but "power is nothing without control". Sometimes less power is needed to fulfull the task at hand. So - get mentally elastic.

Check your equipment for flaws. Not playing an LD shaft? It's time for one or you will not be able to compete against the others. Equipment always matters.

One thing that has gotten me forward: get a different cue (no matter what, really, a players or cuetec, a bit decent one) so you will have to use more feeling and attention when playing your usual shots. Exchange regularly, practise the same shots, get the feeling.
You could also go full out crazy, get a 9mm Snooker cue and play Pool with it.

All things I have done. Others might tell you to never ever change your cue, to never ever do this and that. You decide, but I'd take any chance to get more experience. You don't get experience by doing the same things over and over.

Lastly - do not ever expect that your current surroundings (the bars you are playing at) have anything to do with reality out there. Skill is very relative, and yours will need to stand the test of time.
Accept losing, embrace it and come out stronger again.

Take 1 year to get accustomed to tournament situations and only then take the real ones on (I do hope your bars have 9" tables, right?)

Last advice: play soft, use as little English as you can, learn accurate speed control, watch Snooker, be elastic in how you play.

Cheers,
M (who does things rather differently)

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best advice: don't plan on pool ever being more than a recreational activity.

You could do a lot of it, but don't let it take the lot of you.

Life changes, pool doesn't.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A person who can figure out pool can...

Its great to have a passion for the game many of us have.

Someone who can figure this game out can do anything he puts his mind to. With the rewards not being there I would tell you to enjoy pool for what is and not elevate it to what it isn't. Spend your free time that you spend on yourself conquering the game and spend the most of your time concentrating on your career. I give advice in both when asked. You are 22 and the world is wide open to you. You can be successful in a profession, a business and in pool if you attack it right. Practice smart and hard in everything you do.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my take.

A lot of people are going to tell you it's a pipe dream and it's never going to happen. They're probably right. But a lot of the small group of people who actually do succeed probably heard the same thing and did it anyway.

You're young, you can afford to chase an unlikely dream wholeheartedly for a while. If it's what you want, then do it. But, I would suggest defining a few specific goals and a specific time frame and if it's not happening for you in that timeframe then be ready to move on.

If I was 22 and wanted to chase this I'd give myself three years, until I was 25, and define success as making decent finishes in a certain group of tournaments and earning enough in winnings to supplement your other income.

Also don't think you can just practice in your bar until youre good enough and then walk in and start playing tournaments. You need to start playing in tournament,nets right away to get used to the pressure and to see where you're at and where you need to get to.

You're not going to become a world beater in three years, but maybe you can become a strong local player and a threat at regional tournaments.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being a "pro" in pool is more about fading the pressure, fatigue and long grind of pool tournaments against the best competition, than it is about knowledge and practice. The knowledge and practice are certainly necessary, the more the better as well, but in the end, the successful ones are the ones who fade the aforementioned obstacles. In a pro tournament most guys are killers and most guys will eat you for breakfast if your going to fold under pressure. The only way to learn to play under pressure is to put yourself in pressure scenarios. Enter as many tournaments as you can no matter how small. Playing in and watching others play in tournament play can be as good a learning experience as logging hours alone on the table. Good luck. If you can truly put in twenty hours a week you will certainly have the opportunity to learn what you need to know to succeed.

There are many, many players who can do what the "pros" do on any given night, physically. There are far, far less that can do what the "pros" do mentally, and there are far less who can do it as consistently as the"pros"do it.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The smart money is on putting you efforts into building a career.Your body starts letting you down in your 40s (or maybe much sooner)and at that point you need to work another 25 years still.Something to think about.......If you have the passion to be the best you will ignore me and drive forward and succeed.If you are the other 99% you will either be a pool bum scraping by or realize it ain't going to work and try getting a good work job while everybody else got a big head start on you...........Good luck.I'm not a dream crusher,just an old guy with my experienced advice.I made a run at my dream athletically and my body gave out.No regrets but I know it cost me a lot of money in the long run.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best advice...by far.

If the OP is seeing that SVB made only $38K so far this year (that doesn't include gambling...nor does it include expenses, which can eat up everything you make pretty easily), and admittedly can't play anywhere near that level, nor make even that meager living, imo you're pursuing a pipe dream. Hence my first sentence above. Get an education (you don't even mention college), get a decent job (a job paying $38K + is still a pittance to live on), and play pool locally or regionally on the weekends, is the way to go! Otherwise, you WILL be just another broke pool player.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Best advice: don't plan on pool ever being more than a recreational activity.

You could do a lot of it, but don't let it take the lot of you.

Life changes, pool doesn't.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no substitute for a weekly paycheck. I'm not a person that discourages going for goals ...... But if you are not a high end shooter at this stage consider this is as good as it gets ..... Maybe slightly better.
When I was in high school someone said to me..... Use your best skills for a livilhood. Whatever it is you do best focus on that. If you can sell be a salesman. If you're good with your hands use them. Good with math etc etc. What are your best skills? Use them. Anything can be turned into a business. Start now. Your life has just begun. Personally Pool is a great hobby. Make money doing something else. Buy a house someday. Buy that special table and cue. Play locally for nickels and dimes.

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more thing to add. You really have take the time to understand what your actual goal is. This is a sport where there are very few true professionals. As a percentage of the whole it is miniscule. Add to that the fact that there is alot less turnover than in other sports as well. Alot of these pros that you watch have been at it a long time and will be at it for awhile still, all the while getting better every day.

Also,if you take the time to analyze the "money list" and understand what it tells you about the state of this game, it wouldn't make me feel very optimistic. Take the example you made with Shane winning $39K thus far, for the top player in America that if a paltry sum. 39K minus expenses, health insurance, taxes(yes they pay taxes on tournament winnings) that doesn't leave you with much of that money at all. The only choice left is to supplement that income with lessons, appearances, gambling etc etc...
So in reality even the best pros do not just show up at major tournaments make their nut and go retire to their castles.

You also have to ask yourself what you're going to miss out in the pursuit of this endeavor? You are twenty two now, what about when you are thirty two? By then you may meet a nice person, have a child, wish to buy a house etc etc... Will you be able to support that lifestyle on the"road"hopping from tournament to tournament? Not to say any of this isn't possible, you just have to understand what you are really setting yourself up for. It's not all jets, cash and women, it's sounds like alot of had work to get there and even harder work to stay there.

Again, good luck!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me start off with some info about me, I am 22 without kids ... I would just like to understand the process that a professional pool player .... I'm serious about playing professionally... Im looking for a direction to head towards, a goal to try to reach.. anyone with ideas, pointers ...

M.Ghost. Good for you for asking some good questions.
Living below one's means is great.
Wanting to be a pro pool player is a great aspiration.

My advice to you:
FIRST -- practice well. Look for quality in your practice.
This approach will get you to your pool goals more efficiently.

SECOND -- Don't concern yourself with any "process" to the professional player level.
Simply be a student of the game and respect its subtleties.

THIRD -- GO TO SCHOOL and take classes.
Pursue an area in the job market. Pool is only one component of life.
Education is so valuable. Don't forsake it.

You are at an age and in a time where you have so many choices.
You can choose more than one simultaneously.
Don't blow it.

Pool can always be a part of your life, but you must prepare properly.
That includes all aspects of your life, e.g. job, health.
Your "livelihood" depends on it.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Greatness is not learned. You're born with it. Some have it, some don't. Give it a try to see if YOU do. It shouldn't be long before you realize if you were born to play AND compete or not... It's after that, all the work you do may very well pay off....

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
My view has always been rooted in the old school approach.
1. Find a local poolroom where you can hang out.
2. Sit quietly and watch good players play.
3. When you play, do so with someone who is your equal, or better.
4. Practice and play, play and practice. (Practice, in my world, does not mean drills.)
5. Learn One Pocket. You'll thank me and Grady, later.
Remember that pool is not a difficult game to play, but it's a damned difficult game to play well. Be patient, and good luck. :smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You need to compete at a level where you have a chance to finish in the top half.

You need to play against better players.

You need to improve your pool knowledge. What books have you read about pool? There is knowledge in pool books that a lot of champions don't have.

Have you ever run a whole rack at 8-ball? 9-ball? What is your high run at straight pool?

Here is a link to three regional publications with calendars of weekly events in the states covered. (It is not perfect and complete, but it is a start.) http://www.onthebreaknews.com/

Do you have a situation where you can be on a table for six hours a day without it costing you a lot or anything?

And if there is a veteran local player who beats you now 2:1 in game scores, you have to beat him even in six months or you have to give this up because whatever you are doing isn't working.

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing in merciless environments is a sure path to either greatness or a complete mental breakdown..... or a little of both if you shoot with a 7 foot stick and wear ass-weights. But in any event, may you shoot straight and have fun.

Lesh

Hilariously true!