Tips pros use... Surprise !

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the Dream Challenge that just took place in Russia and that's what I gathered :

Corey Deuel is using an Elkmaster
Sky Woodward is using a Technodud, which is basically a pressed Elkmaster
Shane van Boening was using an Elkmaster at least until recently, now possibly a Sniper
JJ stated that most layered tips he has tried were ok for the first couple of layers, then they harden and feel dead. He prefers single layer tips.

I think this will be surprising for many people.

Julian

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was watching the Dream Challenge that just took place in Russia and that's what I gathered :

Sky Woodward is using a Technodud
Shane van Boening was using an Elkmaster at least until recently, now possibly a Sniper
JJ stated that most layered tips he has tried were ok for the first couple of layers, then they harden and feel dead. He prefers single layer tips.

Julian

No surprise here.

Freddie <~~~ Triangle

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess this is strange for a guy who’s been playing for almost 30 years (Jesus how did that happen) but I just don’t care what pro’s play with. I’m no where near their level so it just doesn’t matter lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sky Woodward is using a Technodud, which is basically a pressed Elkmaster

Julian
What's your point? I think EM tips suck. Always have. Are we to base our tip choice on what others use? When i saw SVB in DCC a few years back he was using a Kamui Brown hard. First i've heard of him using an EM.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You either play with a tip you like, or you play with one that is supported by your sponsor.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your point? I think EM tips s^*k. Always have. Are we to base our tip choice on what others use? When i saw SVB in DCC a few years back he was using a Kamui Brown hard. First i've heard of him using an EM.
Why the aggressive language? If you want to know my thoughts there are nicer ways of asking. And really, you're censoring suck?

Julian

podsbilliards

Registered
JJ did say that the Elk Master that Corey uses is a snooker tip and different than the Elk Masters that they sell here in the states.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ did say that the Elk Master that Corey uses is a snooker tip and different than the Elk Masters that they sell here in the states.
I'm almost certain he was wrong. Snooker tips come in max 11mm and Corey is using a 12+ mm shaft. There is no reason for him to be using snooker tips. Also, Elkmaster is made in the US.

Julian

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
don't forget Earl in the Elkmaster discussion as he has used them pretty much exclusively during his career.

Does that make Elkmaster a great tip for you (or me)? It's very subjective but I think it's safe to say that some guys have achieved great things using them.

best,
brian kc

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the Elkmasters, they come in 9,10 and 11 with the 10 being the most common.

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link, that's good to know. On that page there is a video of Ronnie visiting the factory and that reminded me he's been playing with regular Elkmasters most of his career.

Julian

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snooker players are not sponsored by tip manufacturers, still most of them use elkmasters soaked and pressed. i have to assume they are acting rational given the prize money at stake

i use layered tips myself and have done since the old moori days

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once played a sniper cue tip on a schon for 5 years and loved it

then I sold Gilbert martinez my cue because he explained he needed it and I didn't

After that I played triangle

If i were not quitting I think I would get Bob Owen
to make me some elk masters I always wanted to play like Efren

you think this might be what was holding me back?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once played a sniper cue tip on a schon for 5 years and loved it

then I sold Gilbert martinez my cue because he explained he needed it and I didn't

After that I played triangle

If i were not quitting I think I would get Bob Owen
to make me some elk masters I always wanted to play like Efren

you think this might be what was holding me back?
Yes, according to Ronnie.

Julian

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll probably try out a techno dud because of this thread. I see one for sale on seyberts. They're made by Outsville, right? Or is it a generic name?

Either way, these don't mushroom very much, right?

I've had the experience described by the OP. A kamui layered tip seems soft with a good hit when you first get it, but then feels hard and not much feedback later on.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not the Elkmasters, they come in 9,10 and 11 with the 10 being the most common.

Julian

There’s a gap in understanding here. I’m sure you’re talking about specific snooker tips. Elkmasters as a tip brand are made up to 14mm, with 13 and 14mm the most popular in the US.