Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Don't play as well when competing?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-06-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub1987 View Post
I got past my mental game by putting side bets on matched I played. Got used to having something on the line and then it makes you nervous,
Does not work for me...Then I'm frustrated and broke.
Best bet is keep playing. Block everyone out. Play the table. Full concentration on the current shot. Nothing else. I was in a tournament yesterday. Race to 5. Won 3 straight... needed to 2 more. Starting thinking about how nice it would be to win the match. Next thing I know it's 4-4. I did win but got lost for a moment. I started out with the nervous tingle but got passed that quickly. For a while the edginess lingered for the entire match. I'm getting through that from playing with stronger players lately. Players that are all business. Watch how they operate. Sometimes I simply enjoy listening to them talk and what's on their mind as a player. Or their attitude in general. Talk pool with a stronger shooter. Learn from listening. Everything helps. Keep playing. If you are good at pocketing balls...you'll get to the next step. RELAX. The world is yours. So is the table.

Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee

I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Last edited by GoldCrown; 03-16-2016 at 07:42 PM.

It is all in your head
Old
  (#17)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

It is all in your head - 03-06-2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
ohhhh not that i havent known this for years.....but i like how you worded your lines man!!!

hat tip,
-Gryghost
40 years ago Ronnie Allen challenged a room full of pool hustlers to play for $100 a game. That was big money at the time. They tried to get him to play for less but he refused. When asked why he replied "I know I can make a ball for $100. I don't know if you can."

Old
  (#18)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2016, 07:33 PM

So..... I play in my Div 1 singles match and win the round robin. Beat the 2 strongest shooters in the league. Move on to the League championship. Play a round robin with the Div 2 + 3 winners. I play like a real jackass(maybe I am). These guys are both weak players. I mean weak. I lose. Should have been a turkey shoot. I did everything wrong. I played the players not the table. I was more concerned with losing than winning. Set a record for scratching. Very humiliating and embarrassing. Felt like tossing my cues. I rushed. Poor PSR. Did not pause on the backswing. Slow stroked/rolled and blew easy shots. Let a bad roll or scratch frustrate me instead of staying current tense. Put a lot of pressure on myself to perform. What a horrible experience...and not the first time. I think to alleviate a repeat will be to compete more and get use to the setting. My shooting is not bad for my class. It's the mindset. To be worked on....and fine tuned. Practice, competition and informal play are not the same.

Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.

Last edited by GoldCrown; 03-20-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Old
  (#19)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
So..... I play in my Div 1 singles match and win the round robin. Beat the 2 strongest shooters in the league. Move on to the League championship. Play a round robin with the Div 2 + 3 winners. I play like a real jackass(maybe I am). These guys are both weak players. I mean weak. I lose. Should have been a turkey shoot. I did everything wrong. I played the players not the table. I was more concerned with losing than winning. Set a record for scratching. Very humiliating and embarrassing. Felt like tossing my cues. I rushed. Poor PSR. Did not pause on the backswing. Slow stroked/rolled and blew easy shots. Let a bad roll or scratch frustrate me instead of staying current tense. Put a lot of pressure on myself to perform. What a horrible experience...and not the first time. I think to alleviate a repeat will be to compete more and get use to the setting. My shooting is not bad for my class. It's the mindset. To be worked on....and fine tuned. Practice, competition and informal play are not the same.
Johnboy.... start with weaker or equal level players and get used to performing. Pocket balls and gain that confidence.
Yesterday I played in a league match. I watched most of the better players lose to the "lesser" players and moan and groan. I played really well and got some incredible position in some difficult situations. Overall I played really well. I also missed a straight in 1/2 table 8 ball shot.

My point is all of this is natural. Experience helps you take it in stride but it is also a conscious decision on your part to stop analyzing every thing you do and beating yourself up. I work with a young guy who was torturing himself. Once he realized everyone misses shots and it isn't always the nervousness, he misses them in practice too, he started playing at a much higher level in competition. He now has a lot more confidence and everyone talks about how much he has improved.

It is sure nice to hear "I played a safety and rolled a little too far and Donald beat me". Instead of "I will probably miss a straight in shot and lose".

Relax and enjoy the competition. You will lose to some poor players because they shoot above their head, get lucky rolls, or you miss shots you don't normally miss. But you will also beat better players for those same reasons. Let them go home and beat themselves up.

If it aint' fun, why do it? They don't pay us to play at our level. Your idea to compete more is solid. I was playing one night a week, now I play a tourn on Mon, league on Tue and League on Wed. I simply play too much to get real excited about anything and I laugh at all the "I should have beat that guy" type comments. Yeah you should have and maybe next time you will but not today and that is OK.

Old
  (#20)
Quesports
AzB Silver Member
Quesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2016, 10:46 AM

I found two ways to combat the "I practice better than I compete syndrome."

1. Play with a the killer instinct derived from hating the opponent during the match. You can always like them afterwards.
2. If it is a league situation tell yourself your ready to show off for everyone so they can see just how good I can play. When you pull this off it intimidates the opponent and builds confidence.

Both mindsets create confidence and help you to play your best pool, IMO..
Never approach the table in a negative mindset, it makes winning that much more difficult.

Last edited by Quesports; 03-17-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Old
  (#21)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-17-2016, 06:44 PM

Skip...Sounds like your PSRs (mental, physical and psychological) are pretty much in sync. Playing pool, in any competitive situation (even against yourself) is so much more enjoyable that way! Question...Did you play the "straight in" half table 8-ball shot (that you missed) as a stop shot...or not? Congratulations on your excellent play...and astute observation of others...who don't know what YOU know! LOL I'll see you again in July, on my way to Vegas for the BCAPL Nationals!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
Yesterday I played in a league match. I watched most of the better players lose to the "lesser" players and moan and groan. I played really well and got some incredible position in some difficult situations. Overall I played really well. I also missed a straight in 1/2 table 8 ball shot.

My point is all of this is natural. Experience helps you take it in stride but it is also a conscious decision on your part to stop analyzing every thing you do and beating yourself up. I work with a young guy who was torturing himself. Once he realized everyone misses shots and it isn't always the nervousness, he misses them in practice too, he started playing at a much higher level in competition. He now has a lot more confidence and everyone talks about how much he has improved.

It is sure nice to hear "I played a safety and rolled a little too far and Donald beat me". Instead of "I will probably miss a straight in shot and lose".

Relax and enjoy the competition. You will lose to some poor players because they shoot above their head, get lucky rolls, or you miss shots you don't normally miss. But you will also beat better players for those same reasons. Let them go home and beat themselves up.

If it aint' fun, why do it? They don't pay us to play at our level. Your idea to compete more is solid. I was playing one night a week, now I play a tourn on Mon, league on Tue and League on Wed. I simply play too much to get real excited about anything and I laugh at all the "I should have beat that guy" type comments. Yeah you should have and maybe next time you will but not today and that is OK.

PBIA Master Instructor

Last edited by Scott Lee; 03-17-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Old
  (#22)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Frank...I can help you with this. You've forgotten one small (but important) psychological principle in our game playing mode. I taught it to you, and you'll remember, when I can talk to you. It's the 'positive reinforcement vs negative reinforcement' equation. All negative input with no positive input causes everything to crash. I'm 100% certain about this. Give me a call!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
Johnboy.... start with weaker or equal level players and get used to performing. Pocket balls and gain that confidence.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#23)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

03-17-2016, 07:07 PM

Interesting perspective Dan! I definitely fit more into #2, as a trick shot guy! LOL Nothing better than getting paid (well) to basically show off on a pool table! Totally agree with your last sentence! See ya next time I'm in Chicago!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesports View Post
I found two ways to combat the "I practice better than I compete syndrome."

1. Play with a the killer instinct derived from hating the opponent during the match. You can always like them afterwards.
2. If it is a league situation tell yourself your ready to show off for everyone so they can see just how good I can play. When you pull this off it intimidates the opponent and builds confidence.

Both mindsets create confidence and help you to play your best pool, IMO..
Never approach the table in a negative mindset, it makes winning that much more difficult.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#24)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P

03-17-2016, 07:56 PM

Last edited by GoldCrown; 03-20-2016 at 05:08 AM.

Old
  (#25)
nfuids
eh?
nfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2016, 05:52 AM

Try reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" and/or Pleasures of Small Motion

It's all relative, keep calm!

Predator SP2 / Cynergy 15k / Victory Soft
Predator BK Rush / Taom tip
Predator Air Jump 2
Mezz MA-FK1 Autographed by Venom

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: