Joss West weight change

bebopdrums

I have an early 70’s JW which Is 17.1 oz in the butt and I’m wondering if I can change the weight? There is a Allen for the bumper which goes into a larger Allen under a flat plate? If I remove the larger Allen which is very tight are there adjustable weights under the plate?

Attachments

• 33B57224-3D97-448F-9867-93904F877B3C.jpg
    33B57224-3D97-448F-9867-93904F877B3C.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 264
  • 9711D428-E6B5-4CB0-A569-52F15FBC8706.jpg
    9711D428-E6B5-4CB0-A569-52F15FBC8706.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 0F80D599-342D-4120-BE51-AEBEFACFE616.jpg
    0F80D599-342D-4120-BE51-AEBEFACFE616.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 263

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
No, but that is a steel bolt

You can replace with an aluminum bolt to reduce the weight a bit. If you need a bolt drilled and tapped to fit, they are sold on some websites or cuemakers can make those for you

Be careful doing this, you can knock the buttcap off if you're not careful

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. Seems best to send to a shop but who is working on Bill Stroud cues now?

I haven't seen an Older cue from Mr. Stroud with multiple weights in the bottom. But that doesn't mean someone else didn't do it. The butt cap doesn't look like it's Delrin, so it should be glued on. Take the bolt out and see how long it is. If the bolt is long, you can shorten it, or at least see what you need to order. You should not have to ship the cue out just for that.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I haven't seen an Older cue from Mr. Stroud with multiple weights in the bottom. But that doesn't mean someone else didn't do it. The butt cap doesn't look like it's Delrin, so it should be glued on. Take the bolt out and see how long it is. If the bolt is long, you can shorten it, or at least see what you need to order. You should not have to ship the cue out just for that.

Same material, definitely not glued on.

If you want to work the bolt out, tape the buttcap on or mark it in some fashion so you can reindex it properly

Attachments

• 20200810_200601.jpg
    20200810_200601.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 203

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same material, definitely not glued on.

If you want to work the bolt out, tape the buttcap on or mark it in some fashion so you can reindex it properly

Is that Delrin or the ivory sub Mr. Stroud was using?
Is that the customers ot yours?
I can't tell from his picture. But his picture looks like it's more white.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Is that Delrin or the ivory sub Mr. Stroud was using?
Is that the customers ot yours?
I can't tell from his picture. But his picture looks like it's more white.

They are the same off-white, creamy plastic that Bill used. Neither is delrin

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If it's early 70s, it's likely a material called Implex. It has a creamy sort of look to it, and is a bit fragile. Both Joss and JossWest used it on a lot of cues in that era. Don't believe it's been used for quite a while unless someone still has some.

Some of those old Implex butt plates were actually not glued on to the bottom tenon, so use caution, sometimes just the weight bolt is what secures the butt plate on. Can always be put back on with another weight bolt.

All the best,
WW

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's early 70s, it's likely a material called Implex. It has a creamy sort of look to it, and is a bit fragile. Both Joss and JossWest used it on a lot of cues in that era. Don't believe it's been used for quite a while unless someone still has some.

Some of those old Implex butt plates were actually not glued on to the bottom tenon, so use caution, sometimes just the weight bolt is what secures the butt plate on. Can always be put back on with another weight bolt.

All the best,
WW

Thank you to you and Mr. O'brian.
Good info
I've seen one in my shop for a change out. That one was glued. Mr. Janes sent me some old stuff but it's white.