World Snooker Championships 2020

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The man

8-8
Race to 5
If Ronnie wins this whole thing, he would edge Hendry for most ranking titles of all time
Go go Ronnie.

re1.jpg

88.JPG

:D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
8-8
Race to 5
If Ronnie wins this whole thing, he would edge Hendry for most ranking titles of all time
Go go Ronnie.

:D

Hendry, the greatest of all time in my book. He quit competitive snooker for the same reason that I stopped playing competitive pool: he suffers from the yips. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. And if some of you "think" you have the yips... you don't.

If it weren't for that, Hendry's records would be untouchable. But "ifs" don't count for anything.

Freddie <~~~ yips suck

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
True, but there are more ranking titles to be won. Hendry was much more dominant In a winning percentage of tournaments during his reign.
How many players during Hendry's run had a ton of centuries in a season? Could the competition be a little stiffer now?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie is GOAT

Q. Did Hendry's era (1990s) have stronger or weaker competition compared to now?
A. About same.
Hendry's competitors in top 10 ins his decade had average win % of 69% while Ronnie's competitors in 2010s decade had average win% of 68%

1990-1999ranking.JPG

2010-2019ranking.JPG

Q. Did Hendry win less ranking events because he played less events ?
A. No
Hendry actually played slightly more events (378) in total than Ronnie (356)
Hendry played 27 years while Ronnie has been playing 28 years.

alltime win.JPG

Q. Is Ronnie GOAT?
Hell, Yes !
All metrics say so except for # World championship Ronnie 5 v Hendry 7. Won't be long before Ronnie matches or overtakes Hendry's 7

:grin-square:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent work, cuetracker?

I doubt O’Sullivan can win another world title
But i don’t think that number- 5, 6, 7, represents
The Greatest.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Not sure winning percentage translates to quality of player. If majority suck, then they'll all have decent win percentages

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure winning percentage translates to quality of player. If majority suck, then they'll all have decent win percentages

On that note, I was pretty surprised to see Anthony Hamilton in there!

A decent player, but not on the same page as the rest of that list.

Also, I noticed Stephen Lee, such a wasted career, he could have been really good!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i agree, a better metric is pot percentage, or centuries. i'm pretty sure the technical skills are much better. and hendry's prime was '90-'96

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shifting gears here, I can't overstate how impressed I was with Selby's safety play in Rack 8. It was a rack he absolutely had to have, as he was in danger of ending the session trailing Ronnie by 6-2. Well done!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie seems indifferent to safety play when he is front running. It's like he doesn't want to get bogged down.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ronnie seems indifferent to safety play when he is front running. It's like he doesn't want to get bogged down.

... which in no way detracts from the fact that Selby's safety play was truly exceptional in Rack 8.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... which in no way detracts from the fact that Selby's safety play was truly exceptional in Rack 8.

Well Ronnie was so busy giving himself a manicure that he let Selby shoot after the in off the black. The only play was safety.

I think Ronnie was already disinterested after the scrappy game 7.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selby steals lead after winning first 4 frames of this session now leads 7-5 after few missed pots by Ronnie. 5 consecutive frames won including last frame of previous session
Selby potting 90%+ Ronnie 70%+
Momentum and confidence shifted to Selby

Come on RoRo :D

al.JPG

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and now he's bogged down. the leister anaconda is at work.. i predict next session to be one with reds scattered up table a lot, selby style.. i think ronnie is toast

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going back to that 8th game, Ronnie hurt himself with poor execution of answers to Selby's safeties.
Ronnie scattered the reds to the rails.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
These have been pretty interesting semifinals so far. I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

On a separate subject, can somebody explain the "free ball" rule?