Lowest deflection shaft
Old
  (#1)
Johnboy73
Johnboy
Johnboy73 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Lowest deflection shaft - 03-15-2016, 05:11 PM

If someone was gonna buy a LD shaft purely on the lowest deflection and not what feels the best, what one would you buy at 12.5 mm or bigger? The lowest deflection # is only parameter that matters!

Thanks a lot

No its really not
Old
  (#2)
336Robin
Multiverse Operative
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

No its really not - 03-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy73 View Post
If someone was gonna buy a LD shaft purely on the lowest deflection and not what feels the best, what one would you buy at 12.5 mm or bigger? The lowest deflection # is only parameter that matters!

Thanks a lot
Its really not, sorry its how you play with it, if it hits like an iron pipe it wont help you gain much in my opinion.

Progress is inevitable.

Live long and Prosper!

Old
  (#3)
Johnboy73
Johnboy

03-15-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
Its really not, sorry its how you play with it, if it hits like an iron pipe it wont help you gain much in my opinion.

I know that isn't the only thing that matters. I'm just asking what people think is the lowest deflecting shaft? What one would you buy "IF" that was the only consideration? 12.5 mm or bigger

Old
  (#4)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I know that isn't the only thing that matters. I'm just asking what people think is the lowest deflecting shaft? What one would you buy "IF" that was the only consideration? 12.5 mm or bigger
There is no correct answer to that. You'd have to try them yourself. I use a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft that is 13.2mm and it is what I'd consider LD compared to some other shafts that are smaller in diameter at the tip.

For ME, I'd always buy something that is NO LESS than 12.5mm.

Old
  (#5)
slide13
AzB Silver Member
slide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
There is no correct answer to that. You'd have to try them yourself. I use a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft that is 13.2mm and it is what I'd consider LD compared to some other shafts that are smaller in diameter at the tip.

I would disagree. Deflection can be measured and so the question can be answered. Not sure enough testing has been done to know, but I think the Predator Vantage might be the answer. Not a shaft I'd want as its way too fat for me (I like 12mm), but it's supposed to be very low deflection even compared to the Z shafts.

Old
  (#6)
Johnboy73
Johnboy

03-15-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I like 'em 12.5 or larger too. I would think under testing (robot or whatever method), one shaft has to be the lowest. I guess there could be a tie. What would you buy "if" that was the only consideration?

Old
  (#7)
Johnboy73
Johnboy

03-15-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
I would disagree. Deflection can be measured and so the question can be answered. Not sure enough testing has been done to know, but I think the Predator Vantage might be the answer. Not a shaft I'd want as its way too fat for me (I like 12mm), but it's supposed to be very low deflection even compared to the Z shafts.

Thank you for the input

Old
  (#8)
Johnboy73
Johnboy

03-15-2016, 06:05 PM

I've heard Meucci Pro is the lowest for a fatter shaft, but I have never shot with one. I don't have anywhere to try a bunch of LD shaft at 12.5 mm or bigger.

Is the 314-2 or 3 still the lowest? Or is it Mezz's HP 2? Vantage?

Old
  (#9)
mrkdenton
AzB Silver Member
mrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond reputemrkdenton has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2016, 06:06 PM

I play with a 314/2 with a hard kamui brown tip. AND the shaft diameter at around 12.25 to 12.3. And I'm telling u. It has about just as much of low deflection as the z2. But the shaft is thicker. But when u want some real inside English for long thin cut shots. It can do that to. Shaft amd diameter and tip is Really a great combo.

Old
  (#10)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
That is why I said, "You'd have to try them yourself."

I have tried lots of LD shafts and some seem to be more or less LD than others. Even some of the bigger ones seemed to be more LD than some of the lesser ones...and vice versa.

Just because they are advertised as LD doesn't mean they really are. I have two old solid maple shafts that are over 40 years old that are about 12.5mm that deflect less than a new Predator 314-2, in my opinion (with me doing the shooting).

Old
  (#11)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-15-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot
There have been some published test numbers, but it's been awhile. Probably a Predator 314 is as low as anything over 12.5 mm.

Under 12.5 mm, Predator Z is the lowest I've encountered, with the Tiger Pro X not far behind. These both have 11.75 mm tips. Seems it's easier to build a thin very low squirt shaft than a thick one, because there is less mass at the end of the cue. The Platinum tests were in line with various other tests, but this was by no means conclusive.

Here's some heavy reading on the subject:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#data

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#12)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

03-15-2016, 06:14 PM

I had tried all the available ones 10 years ago. IMO, the predator line was by far the least squirt. The 314 series was the lowest of the 12.75mm shafts, and the Z series was the lowest of the 11.75mm shafts. This was testing by just shooting balls in and seeing how to aim them. Not a controlled test.

Predator had a solid patent, of a hollow area, that the other companies did not try to duplicate. They used other methods of reducing squirt. That predator patent has been expired now for 2 or 3 years. I expect other companies to copy it exactly some day soon. Just a hunch on my part. I know I would copy it if I was a competing company

Old
  (#13)
Johnboy73
Johnboy

03-15-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
That is why I said, "You'd have to try them yourself."

I have tried lots of LD shafts and some seem to be more or less LD than others. Even some of the bigger ones seemed to be more LD than some of the lesser ones...and vice versa.

Just because they are advertised as LD doesn't mean they really are. I have two old solid maple shafts that are over 40 years old that are about 12.5mm that deflect less than a new Predator 314-2, in my opinion (with me doing the shooting).

Ok, I sort of get what u are saying. I could shoot with ur shaft and it could possibly deflect more than when ur using it? If that's true, then I guess we need to add, who makes the lowest amount of deflection when robot is pulling the trigger. Everyone knows what I'm asking.

Tiger claims to have a "no deflection" shaft (Tiger Pro X) I don't know how that's true, but its 11.75

Jacoby Hybrid
Old
  (#14)
336Robin
Multiverse Operative
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

Jacoby Hybrid - 03-15-2016, 06:21 PM

At 12.75 the Jacoby Hybrid has little squirt to allow for on shots up to 4 diamonds of cue ball object ball separation but then again so does the Ob equivalent and it hits better. The Jacoby hits too hard for me.

Progress is inevitable.

Live long and Prosper!

Old
  (#15)
Johnboy73
Johnboy

03-15-2016, 06:30 PM

I've seen the Platinum numbers, but a lot of LD shafts wasn't on there. Mezz, Meucci Pro, SS360, Edge, OB Plus, Vantage etc

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: