MIke Sigel's perfect stroke
Old
  (#1)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member
surffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

MIke Sigel's perfect stroke - 06-16-2020, 09:57 AM

I been watching some instructional videos on my lunch breaks the past few days and I came across Mike Sigel's "Play perfect pool disc 1".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mrcyT0d4RA

The video is almost entirely about getting the perfect stroke. Throughout the video he stressed the importance of hitting down on the cue ball with a slightly elevated cue. He specifically doesn't want you to use a flat level cue.

At first I thought he just meant you can't physically do that because of the rails, but the more you watch the video, the more it became obvious that he thinks you should be hitting down on the cue ball.

I do notice in his form that he has a very traditional pendulum stroke where with almost no elbow drop. I understand you will naturally get some down ward follow through with that, but when you hit the ball your cue will be level and its only the follow through that goes down.

What is the general consensus on his method? Old school? different strokes for different folks? Of just plain wrong?

To be honest, I was a little taken back by the video because one the things I really been working on in the past 2 months was playing with a more level cue. Almost every other video from credible instructors have stated the importance of the level cue.

----------------------------------------------------
Player -- Predator 9K3 Azurite
Shaft -- Predator Revo 12.4 WVP
Break -- Jacoby Heavy Hitter
Jump - Jacoby Jumper
Case -- Predator Urbain 3X5
-----------------------------------------------------

Old
  (#2)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffisher2a View Post
Throughout the video he stressed the importance of hitting down on the cue ball with a slightly elevated cue. He specifically doesn't want you to use a flat level cue.

What is the general consensus on his method? Old school? different strokes for different folks? Of just plain wrong?
Just plain wrong. Does he say what he thinks the advantage is?

Isn't Sigel the guy who didn't believe throw exists?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#3)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member
surffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Just plain wrong. Does he say what he thinks the advantage is?

Isn't Sigel the guy who didn't believe throw exists?

pj
chgo
He doesn't do a good job of explaining why, he only says a level cue is a myth and that ALL shots in pool require a slight downward angle. He takes is a step further and says all those instructors who are teaching a level cue are wrong.

If you fast forward to around the 19 min mark of the video he starts explaining some of it. he just continues that methodology throughout the rest of the video and even has a drill dedicated to it (drill 2)

Jump - Jacoby Jumper

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
He doesn't do a good job of explaining why, he only says a level cue is a myth and that ALL shots in pool require a slight downward angle.
Sure sounds like he's talking about the physical impossibility of being level with the butt over a rail... but if so he should be recommending "as level as possible"...?

pj <- haven't watched the video
chgo

Old
  (#5)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member

06-16-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Sure sounds like he's talking about the physical impossibility of being level with the butt over a rail... but if so he should be recommending "as level as possible"...?

pj <- haven't watched the video
chgo
That is what I thought at first, but when you watch the video he shows a level cue and then raises it and scolds the viewer on using the level cue.

Jump - Jacoby Jumper

Old
  (#6)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2020, 05:05 PM

I've found it impossible to have dead-level cue. Level as possible is most likely what he means. IIRC CJ also has talked about having the butt slightly elevated and he's one of the greatest shotmakers i've ever seen in person.

Old
  (#7)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
... Throughout the video he stressed the importance of hitting down on the cue ball with a slightly elevated cue. He specifically doesn't want you to use a flat level cue ...
Does he ever say why? I don't much like people who try to instruct by regal decree.

There are several reasons to play with a somewhat elevated cue:

1!!!! The rail is in the way. You may even want to have your hand more than an inch above the rail as it passes directly over it to avoid scars. I have scars.

2. It is easier to get your chin on the cue. There are huge fundamental benefits in doing that if you can.

And now for why I think Sigel demanded it although he presumably did not explain it:

3. If you really try to follow the "as level as possible" rule, you will use a very wide variety of elevations for relatively common shots. That means that you will have to compensate for swerve slightly differently on many shots.

For example, start with the cue ball two diamonds from the end rail as you shoot a ball near the side cushion with an outside draw shot to bring the cue ball back off the cushion. Now move the cue ball and object ball back towards the end rail slowly on successive shots. You will have to gradually use more and more elevation. The aiming compensation will have to be adjusted for each position.

You also run into a lot of situations where object balls force you to be slightly elevated.

Consider the alternative: a minimum elevation of about 10 degrees that you use on nearly all shots and you only go to more elevation for the few shots that require more. You have eliminated one variable -- amount of elevation -- from nearly all your side spin shots. You do have more compensation but it is always the same for a particular shot length, spin, and speed.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#8)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-20-2020, 11:11 AM

Sigel is a pro player, NOT a pro instructor, and as such has no clue about what he's talking about. His videos are useless for trying to develop a great stroke. If you wish to learn a much better concept, go to professional instructors who use video analysis. Now, if it was Tony Robles giving cueing advice, I'd be listening closely, because not is Tony a top pro player, but one of the only really excellent professional instructors as well...that and he is a really great guy!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

PBIA Master Instructor

Last edited by Scott Lee; 06-22-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Old
  (#9)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2020, 02:31 PM

Among the reasons Kevin Trudeau deserved a jail sentence was constant theft of camera time on this video.

Old
  (#10)
Prey
AzB Silver Member
Prey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond reputePrey has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2020, 12:34 AM

Nick Varner also shoots this way. 2 of the best players to ever play the game....hmmmm I think I might listen to what they have to say.

Old
  (#11)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2020, 08:01 AM

He did mention one thing that hinted at one reason for shooting down. He said when using topspin if you shoot upwards you'll probably miscue, therefore, he said, it's better to shoot at a downward angle. But overall he was pretty unclear about the reason for shooting downward in general. He probably would've been able to explain his reasoning (right or wrong) if Trudeau hadn't continually interrupted him.

Old
  (#12)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member

07-28-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
He did mention one thing that hinted at one reason for shooting down. He said when using topspin if you shoot upwards you'll probably miscue, therefore, he said, it's better to shoot at a downward angle. But overall he was pretty unclear about the reason for shooting downward in general. He probably would've been able to explain his reasoning (right or wrong) if Trudeau hadn't continually interrupted him.
Thanks for this insight, its funny how little things mentioned can really help someone. When I read this last night I wondered if this tidibit of info would help me. a couple of months ago I made it a goal to start playing with a more level cue as part of improving my fundamentals. I have since been struggling with occasional mis cues when using top spin.

Well on a 15 minute break from work today, I went to the table and hit some shots with top spin and sure enough I was hitting upwards on the ball because of trying to keep the cue level, but it was actually pointing upwards slightly. I fixed my bridge hand to be higher and that immediately fixed my problem with miscuing, plus I am getting a lot more action on those follow shots.

Jump - Jacoby Jumper

Old
  (#13)
jason
Unprofessional everything
jason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3750

07-28-2020, 01:13 PM

KT and MS were trying to sell the IPT.

Seek better instruction.

★ TRUMP 2020 ★

||||||||||||★★★ 4 MORE YEARS ★★★||||||||||||

------------------------------
Jason

Old
  (#14)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

08-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
KT and MS were trying to sell the IPT.

Seek better instruction.
I think you're selling Mike a bit short. He's passionate about the game. That I know for a fact. Whether you agree or disagree with his teaching methodology --- that's a different story, but when he talks about pool, it's coming from the heart.

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

08-09-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I went to the table and hit some shots with top spin and sure enough I was hitting upwards on the ball because of trying to keep the cue level, but it was actually pointing upwards slightly. I fixed my bridge hand to be higher and that immediately fixed my problem with miscuing, plus I am getting a lot more action on those follow shots.
1. How can you hit upwards on the CB at all? Your butt would have to be on the cloth and your tip more than 58" from the rail.

2. If you were hitting upwards on the CB, wouldn't raising your bridge make you hit even more upwards?

pj
chgo

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: