Felt installation

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first question that comes to mind for me is that if you ever wanted to replace that cloth- would it not be very difficult to completely remove it from the slate? Seems to me it would have to be scraped off where it was glued; if the glue is as strong at it appears. I would think that scraping glue and cloth off a slate would gouge the slates and make it uneven for the next cloth installation.

I am not an installer- so maybe I am totally wrong in my assumption- but anytime in my life that I glued a material to a flat surface - the material could never be removed without some unevenness left on the surface. Either, glue, material, or both had to scraped off the surface in some areas in order to apply new material evenly. Just think of replacing something like wall paper or old linoleum floors.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang, you would be really impressed if you watched someone who knew how to do it RIGHT!

TFT

Not a mechanic but had to stop watching the 2nd vid when he put the glue can and roller on the cloth. Almost quit watching when all measurements being made b4 anything is tight. The 1st vid????? I quit as soon as he started spraying glue.

Don't know the technique but these didn't look too good to me.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
first video. he of course wears a respirator because that glue is very toxic. but he sprays it in the house so the occupants now have to live there and i dont know if those poisons ever go away out of the rug and table i am leaning over for hours...

the second guy was very efficient. but sloppy with using the table as his work bench. tools should not be on the new cloth why cant he wear an apron with pockets. it might cost him 5 minutes.
then he throws the pieces of cut cloth that has glue on it onto the table. this is expensive cloth. and also puts his glue can on the table and we all know some leaks down the sides of cans. then he puts it on the floor. even if he gets it all correct what if he bumps the can or drops his roller he ruins the cloth and the carpet.
if he got a drip of glue under the cloth its there after the finished job.

after he is done and i see the tiniest speck of a nick nick in the cloth from his knife. i am telling him he made his bed and is replacing it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Keep it coming
this is better than the funny pic thread

"Grabs popcorn"
:killingme:

Jagr Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's cloth....NOT felt...!!!

Simonis produced a commercial video featuring two (2) of today's highly regarded table mechanics illustrating, in detail, how to install table cloth (and cushions). You might consider viewing this video if you really want to know how it's done correctly.
It's available @ Seyberts in Coldwater, MI.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Actually, yes and no. The glue down method they show in the video IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY. Spray glue is NOT to be used for Simonis Cloth. Kind of funny that they specifically mention that spray glue will not work with their product, then their video shows Jay using it???

The only glue down method that anyone has made a video of that is correct, is the second video. Zach knows whats up. Measuring and marking the cloth is the right way!

TFT

Simonis produced a commercial video featuring two (2) of today's highly regarded table mechanics illustrating, in detail, how to install table cloth (and cushions). You might consider viewing this video if you really want to know how it's done correctly.
It's available @ Seyberts in Coldwater, MI.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, yes and no. The glue down method they show in the video IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY. Spray glue is NOT to be used for Simonis Cloth. Kind of funny that they specifically mention that spray glue will not work with their product, then their video shows Jay using it???

The only glue down method that anyone has made a video of that is correct, is the second video. Zach knows whats up. Measuring and marking the cloth is the right way!

TFT

Very true, with no experience with cloth installation, i was able to do a very nice job.
Not perfect, but better than what see while out playing.