BCA money added tournament breakdown

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I just read a thread about the APA and you do the math, so I figured I would do the math for the BCA Western Regional 8 ball tournament going on right now see what kind of money is actually added these league events.

I went through every bracket for the events and came up with the below. I am only human, but I think these numbers are pretty spot on.

One other thing, I am in no way part of any league, but if I was and wanted to figure out where my money was going I would probably do this before joining the league.

Mixed Masters teams 17 x 250 =4250 purse 7325 which = 3075 added.

Mixed Open teams 128 x 175 = 22400 purse 28700 which = 6300 added

Women Open teams 26x 175 = 4550 purse 5550 which = 1000 added

Women Masters teams 9x 175 = 1575 purse 3600 which = 2025 added

Women Novice 24 x 15 = 360 no pay out, trophy only class.

Women Seniors 12 x 35 = 420 purse 510 which= 90 added

Women Open 124 x 35 = 4340 purse 5280 which = 860 added

women masters 36 x 50 = 1800 purse 2900 which = 1100 added

men novice 10 x 15 = 150 no pay out, trophy only class

men seniors 46 x 35 = 1610 purse 2065 which = 4555 added

men open B 252 x 30 = 7560 purse 9210 which = 1650 added

men open A 170 x 40 = 6800 purse 8935 which equal 2135 added

men masters 66 x 50 = 3300 purse 5475 which equal 2175 added

open mixed scotch 111 x 70 = 7770 purse 9160 which = 1290 added

masters mixed scotch 35 x 100 = 3500 purse 5110 which = 1610

Grand Masters entered 8 x entry 250 = 2000 purse 6300 which = 4300 added. According to live stream, the 4300 added did not come from any of the BCA's all outside sponsor money.

Total entry's= Roughly 1200
Total event's=16
total non BCA money added = 16800
total National BCA money added =2500
total regional BCA money added=8765

So from the looks of things, the BCA had a regional tournament that they added $11265 and had did the legwork to have outside sponsors add an additional $16800 for a total of $28065.

Now I do not know how many members there are in the region so I can not give you an accurate account as to money paid into the BCA but,
IMHO, that is a pretty good amount of money added to the overall tournament and the Western BCA does this twice a year.

My only suggestion to the BCA would be to come up with a policy to pay the top 25% of an event field because the pay outs do seem sorta low when your paying out at least 33% of the field.

One more suggestion for all the Leagues that have these types of tournaments, It might be a good Idea to allow active duty military to participate just by purchasing a membership card. So many active duty are gone for at least 6 months a year that they can not participate in the league system to get qualified.

Just a thought, have a great day.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Acknowledgement for the Military Players

....One more suggestion for all the Leagues that have these types of tournaments, It might be a good Idea to allow active duty military to participate just by purchasing a membership card. So many active duty are gone for at least 6 months a year that they can not participate in the league system to get qualified.

I wanted to respond simply to the last paragraph,as I wanted to say Thank You for remembering that people serving are also pool players. Back in 1994,a proposal was submitted by me to develop what I labeled "BCA-MWR Pool Leagues". These leagues would be made up of Service Members stationed around the world,and they would qualify through scheduled play at Community Recreation Centers on Base. Their play would follow them when they transferred and made eligibility available to participate in the BCA North American 8 Ball Championships. I believe that somewhere in the depths of my past,I still have the scoresheets I developed for this project. Unfortunately,the BCA wasn't interested. To add to this irony,I submitted this idea while working as the Assistant League and Program Director at the BCA. I must also add that previous to my employ at the BCA,I had been working for the U.S. Army Morale,Welfare,and Recreation Division. Thank You again for recognizing the Soldiers.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
Cajunfats,

That was a great idea that you had, too bad the BCA at the time did not pursue it. Back in 1997 Nicorette and Diamond set up an all military 9 ball tournament. They established regions all over the world and then the specific region winners were flown to San Diego to play in the finals. It was a great deal of fun and the military didn't pay for anything. Nicorette and Diamond paid for all cost's and it had to cost them a pretty penny to do this because it was top notch. I do believe it was shown on ESPN once, and I have a copy of it so now I can tell my son "look theres your dad playing for the championships" I wont let him see the final results, no shame in being the first looser is there? lol.

As a former MWR representative you know how hard it is on active duty and as an active military member right now it is very frustrating to pursue anything between the pool business and military because of policy's. The policy's are pretty strict saying we can not personally use being active duty to solicit businesses to support the military. Basically, we cant go to a car dealership and ask them to donate a car for the Christmas party, but if the car dealership came to us and said, I want to donate a car we would be allowed to accept it. Anyways, give it another year or so and hopefully I can get more active in the pool scene/military scene.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read a thread about the APA and you do the math, so I figured I would do the math for the BCA Western Regional 8 ball tournament going on right now see what kind of money is actually added these league events.

I went through every bracket for the events and came up with the below. I am only human, but I think these numbers are pretty spot on.

One other thing, I am in no way part of any league, but if I was and wanted to figure out where my money was going I would probably do this before joining the league.

Mixed Masters teams 17 x 250 =4250 purse 7325 which = 3075 added.

Mixed Open teams 128 x 175 = 22400 purse 28700 which = 6300 added

Women Open teams 26x 175 = 4550 purse 5550 which = 1000 added

Women Masters teams 9x 175 = 1575 purse 3600 which = 2025 added

Women Novice 24 x 15 = 360 no pay out, trophy only class.

Women Seniors 12 x 35 = 420 purse 510 which= 90 added

Women Open 124 x 35 = 4340 purse 5280 which = 860 added

women masters 36 x 50 = 1800 purse 2900 which = 1100 added

men novice 10 x 15 = 150 no pay out, trophy only class

men seniors 46 x 35 = 1610 purse 2065 which = 4555 added

men open B 252 x 30 = 7560 purse 9210 which = 1650 added

men open A 170 x 40 = 6800 purse 8935 which equal 2135 added

men masters 66 x 50 = 3300 purse 5475 which equal 2175 added

open mixed scotch 111 x 70 = 7770 purse 9160 which = 1290 added

masters mixed scotch 35 x 100 = 3500 purse 5110 which = 1610

Grand Masters entered 8 x entry 250 = 2000 purse 6300 which = 4300 added. According to live stream, the 4300 added did not come from any of the BCA's all outside sponsor money.

Total entry's= Roughly 1200
Total event's=16
total non BCA money added = 16800
total National BCA money added =2500
total regional BCA money added=8765

So from the looks of things, the BCA had a regional tournament that they added $11265 and had did the legwork to have outside sponsors add an additional $16800 for a total of $28065.

Now I do not know how many members there are in the region so I can not give you an accurate account as to money paid into the BCA but,
IMHO, that is a pretty good amount of money added to the overall tournament and the Western BCA does this twice a year.

My only suggestion to the BCA would be to come up with a policy to pay the top 25% of an event field because the pay outs do seem sorta low when your paying out at least 33% of the field.

One more suggestion for all the Leagues that have these types of tournaments, It might be a good Idea to allow active duty military to participate just by purchasing a membership card. So many active duty are gone for at least 6 months a year that they can not participate in the league system to get qualified.

wow thats alot of math, at the end of the day nobody works for free and some how some kind of way it seems to me that fuzzy math paints a prettier picture than the reality of it all. As long as the player s are having fun and the LO's are happy, then happy days for everyone.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on being involved

Cajunfats,

That was a great idea that you had, too bad the BCA at the time did not pursue it. Back in 1997 Nicorette and Diamond set up an all military 9 ball tournament. They established regions all over the world and then the specific region winners were flown to San Diego to play in the finals. It was a great deal of fun and the military didn't pay for anything. Nicorette and Diamond paid for all cost's and it had to cost them a pretty penny to do this because it was top notch. I do believe it was shown on ESPN once, and I have a copy of it so now I can tell my son "look theres your dad playing for the championships" I wont let him see the final results, no shame in being the first looser is there? lol.

As a former MWR representative you know how hard it is on active duty and as an active military member right now it is very frustrating to pursue anything between the pool business and military because of policy's. The policy's are pretty strict saying we can not personally use being active duty to solicit businesses to support the military. Basically, we cant go to a car dealership and ask them to donate a car for the Christmas party, but if the car dealership came to us and said, I want to donate a car we would be allowed to accept it. Anyways, give it another year or so and hopefully I can get more active in the pool scene/military scene.
Thank you for the kind words. Congratulations on the Runner-up and be sure to let your son see the video,he'll be enormously proud of you playing at that level. I remember that event,and yes,the logistics of putting that on must have been quite the challenge. Your devotion to the betterment of pool will reap rewards for the future,and give you tremendous self satisfaction. With all of the talent I see here on AZ,we may have a chance to change things for the better. Post that video on youtube so I can check out how you did:thumbup:,and thank goodness you did all the payout scales!!! That stuff used to give me migraines!!:banghead:

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True!

wow thats alot of math, at the end of the day nobody works for free and some how some kind of way it seems to me that fuzzy math paints a prettier picture than the reality of it all. As long as the player s are having fun and the LO's are happy, then happy days for everyone.
Yes,those numbers make my head hurt! You are correct about the main point of playing in leagues. Regardless of the type,it's about having a good time with friends. Many league players don't care about the rewards above their local level. Have a party,eat and drink,hand out trophies. That isn't a bad thing,it's just one of the great things that make up the wonderful world of Pool Leagues. :D