The old Viking "Super Joint"

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to know a lot more about the Viking "Super Joint." So, I'm turning it over to the years of experience and expertise found right here.

Thank you!

BOXCAR

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to know a lot more about the Viking "Super Joint." So, I'm turning it over to the years of experience and expertise found right here.

Thank you!

BOXCAR

Hi Boxcar
Quite simple actually. It's a double threaded screw. 2 different thicknesses with matching inserts. They are machined in house at Viking cues. I have a couple of the inserts and can post a picture if you need me too.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The super joint was invented in the early 1950's by a little known cue maker named Clark Kent.
He worked in a small shop with a helper named Jimmy Olson.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Boxcar
Quite simple actually. It's a double threaded screw. 2 different thicknesses with matching inserts. They are machined in house at Viking cues. I have a couple of the inserts and can post a picture if you need me too.

I would absolutely love to see a picture, or 7 pictures for that matter. Is Viking still machining the parts?

BOXCAR

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not on their current cue repair form. I would call and ask about it to know for sure.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not on their current cue repair form. I would call and ask about it to know for sure.

Absolutely. Good advice as always. :wave:

IMG_20190624_203901.jpg

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 523327

Michael,

Thank you very much!

Wow! OK, so the outer thread is like a threaded "pilot" and the inner (female) threaded hole receives the pin??? So you have the shaft part, right. The butt portion then, must have the pin and complementary threads to receive the outer threaded pilot??? Is that right? How deep is the seat for the butt portion?

Are they prone to breakage? Is the Super Joint a great idea that really isn't such a great idea? How is there room for decoration. Are the wood walls so thin they are weak?

BOXCAR

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael,

Thank you very much!

Wow! OK, so the outer thread is like a threaded "pilot" and the inner (female) threaded hole receives the pin??? So you have the shaft part, right. The butt portion then, must have the pin and complementary threads to receive the outer threaded pilot??? Is that right? How deep is the seat for the butt portion?

Are they prone to breakage? Is the Super Joint a great idea that really isn't such a great idea? How is there room decoration. Are the wood walls so thin they are weak?

BOXCAR

Your welcome.
I haven't seen one break yet. It's a piloted joint. Those other questions are not for me to say. I don't judge or condemn, I accept.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your welcome.
I haven't seen one break yet. It's a piloted joint. Those other questions are not for me to say. I don't judge or condemn, I accept.

So sayeth the wise man.

Michael, thank you for your help.

To all, thank you!

Best regards,

BOXCAR

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 523327

Thanks!

Never saw the raw parts before.

I have seen some they have done as repairs or extra shafts for old cues. They looked shorter. Not sure if that is just what I have seen or if the newer version is consistently shorter than the original.

If they ever stop making them, anything like that can be replicated if the machinist is willing and the customer is willing to pay.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

If they ever stop making them, anything like that can be replicated if the machinist is willing and the customer is willing to pay.

Standard procedure. I had these big headed blanks made for the odd ball deep joint set ups. McDermott quick release, Paradise and Schulers as an example of brand names.

IMG_20190315_154441.jpg
IMG_20190309_071956.jpg

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks, Chopdoc!

I called and talked to Shawna, a veteran with the company, and the lady who runs interference for their one and only repairman. They do have Super Joints in stock but will not sell to the public, citing too many "call-back" issues. They will install, but they must have the cue in hand to make sure all the conditions are optimum for a clean installation.

Best regards,

BOXCAR