Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page John Schmidt - How high will he go?
View Poll Results: How high will he go
526 + 73 45.91%
500 + 9 5.66%
450 + 29 18.24%
400 + 31 19.50%
350 + 9 5.66%
300 + 5 3.14%
200 + 2 1.26%
100 + 1 0.63%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Page 5 of 14 « First 345 67 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
wrldpro
H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
wrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I feel any record attempt like what JS is doing should be squeaky clean and just like the DCC 14.1 Challenge comply with the all balls foul rule.

If it's good enough for the DCC 14.1 Challenge -- the closest formal competition to what he's doing -- it should be good enough for his attempts. It should also be noted that the DCC 14.1 Challenge is far from a pool event in a bar.

Lou Figueroa
Here is the facts.Check out the shot at 21:28 https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8 . The 7 ball moves when he places his bridge hand down on the table. All straight pool events are all ball fouls and always have been with NO exception so high runs are the same rule. I kind of know this from 30+ years of playing straight pool and playing in the World Championships quite a few times.

So to be clear to everyone John made 434 balls in a row but he DID NOT run 434 balls in a row. His run 100% stopped when he fouled the 7 ball.That's the rule and that's the outcome. His run started again with the next break ball in the next rack. So his run is -122 for a total of 312 for his run NOT 434. If John disputes this or if John claims that his 434 is legitimate than he is clearly cheating. Also to note at 1 point he left the cueball just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring. Another no-no.

"Justis Cases the Choice of Champions Cuemakers & Collectors"

Efren Allison EddieTaylor StevieMoore, VanBoening Orcullo LeeVan Corteza Bustamante Alcano Jeanette Lee GaYoungkim Souquet Hopkins Archer,Buddy

Szamboti,Searing,Scruggs,Tonkin

Will Prout,TheGlenns,Kerner,Tikkler

And many more that trust to protect their cues traveling the world to make a living & protect all their high end constructed cues & investments.
.www.americanmadematters.com/index.php[/url]

Last edited by wrldpro; 03-21-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Old
  (#62)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldpro View Post
Here is the facts.Check out the shot at 21:28 https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8 . The 7 ball moves when he places his bridge hand down on the table. All straight pool events are all ball fouls and always have been with NO exception so high runs are the same rule. I kind of know this from 30+ years of playing straight pool and playing in the World Championships quite a few times.

So to be clear to everyone John made 434 balls in a row but he DID NOT run 434 balls in a row. His run 100% stopped when he fouled the 7 ball.That's the rule and that's the outcome. His run started again with the next break ball in the next rack. So his run is -122 for a total of 312 for his run NOT 434. If John disputes this or if John claims that his 434 is legitimate than he is clearly cheating. Also to note at 1 point he left the cue just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring. Another no-no.
if john breaks the record and it's squeaky clean, on video, will you acknowledge him as the straight pool high run record holder?

Old
  (#63)
fan-tum
AzB Silver Member
fan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:

So to be clear to everyone John made 434 balls in a row but he DID NOT run 434 balls in a row. His run 100% stopped when he fouled the 7 ball.That's the rule and that's the outcome. His run started again with the next break ball in the next rack. So his run is -122 for a total of 312 for his run NOT 434. If John disputes this or if John claims that his 434 is legitimate than he is clearly cheating. Also to note at 1 point he left the cue just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring. Another no-no.
What are you seeing? I looked at it twice and can't see any movement.

..what..behind the rabbit?

Old
  (#64)
jchance
AzB Silver Member
jchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond reputejchance has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-tum View Post
There definitely appears to be a slight wobble of the 7 ball to the left and then back to the right, presumably from the cue very gently touching it. I didn't see it on first viewing either, had to watch a few times.

Old
  (#65)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

03-21-2019, 04:42 AM

Was yesterday, when he ran 384, his first day of attempts this go around?

Old
  (#66)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-tum View Post
Have to watch it on the desktop PC. On the cell phone screen, it's not noticeable

Old
  (#67)
fan-tum
AzB Silver Member
fan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
Have to watch it on the desktop PC. On the cell phone screen, it's not noticeable
Oh wow! I'm surprised I didn't see it on first viewing. And as suggested above I used my desktop this time.

..what..behind the rabbit?

Old
  (#68)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
03-21-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
John was less than 100 away until something unintentionally
got on the cue ball when it was cleaned which caused an odd scratch.

I'm still wonder what the monetary benefit is. Has someone offered cash for a new record?
I'd probably buy a DVD of it but I'm one of a limited audience.
Jay Helfert did offer 10k, years ago, but with some stipulations.

I don't know if the table John plays on will qualify since he's specifying "moderately tough pockets".
Just one guy's opinion but, he should scrap that requirement.

John tends to play on easy equipment, and honestly the record is still valid on 5 inch pockets.
If Jay is betting dvd/stream sales will top $10,000, I think those sales will be exactly the same
regardless of the pocket cut.

Old
  (#69)
Andrew Manning
Aspiring know-it-all
Andrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Also to note at 1 point he left the cueball just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring.
Bobby, do you have a timestamp for this one? If it really was outside the rack that would be pretty egregious.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it. -Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#70)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_J View Post
That's around 5 hours without a mistake. I am guessing between 450 and 500.
Mosconi said his 526 took 2 hours and 10 minutes. That's an average of 4.0 balls per minute.

Schmidt often plays at about that same pace. His 434 took about 2 hours 5 minutes, or 3.5 balls per minute. He averaged well over 4 balls/min. for the first 14 racks, then a bit under 3 balls/min. for the last 17 racks.

So even if John runs 600, I don't think it will take anywhere near 5 hours unless he takes an extended break (timeout) somewhere along the way.

Old
  (#71)
wadex
AzB Bronze Member
wadex is on a distinguished road

03-21-2019, 10:35 AM

Are you aloud to take a break during this run in straight pool or do you have to steady play.

Old
  (#72)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-21-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
... Schmidt often plays at about that same pace. His 434 took about 2 hours 5 minutes, or 3.5 balls per minute. He averaged well over 4 balls/min. for the first 14 racks, then a bit under 3 balls/min. for the last 17 racks. ...
John has said that he just free-wheels through the first couple of hundred (to save energy) and then gets serious. I wish I could free-wheel through a couple of hundred.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#73)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 10:58 AM

And the speed record (so far as I know) is 150 (and out) by Lou Butera in a tournament match in 21 minutes, which would be an hour and 14 minutes for 527.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#74)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

03-21-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadex View Post
Are you aloud to take a break during this run in straight pool or do you have to steady play.
I think it's entirely reasonable to take a potty break during the run.

In the old days there were some matches in which they would play a single very long game, maybe to 1500. When the session target was reached, say one player got to a total of 300, he would run out the rack to the break shot, the cue ball and the break shot would be marked, and the position would be restored at the start of the next session.

The ball-mark method was used at the Derby City 14.1 when a player was called to some other match during a run.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#75)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
And the speed record (so far as I know) is 150 (and out) by Lou Butera in a tournament match in 21 minutes, which would be an hour and 14 minutes for 527.
If Machinegun started quick like Schmitty, he would be even quicker....
...at his House of Champions he was clocked running a 100 in ten minutes...
...racking included.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 5 of 14 « First 345 67 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: