Old
  (#61)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
John's run is likely to be viewed millions of times if it is put on YouTube with anything approaching decent production value. Not watched from start to finish, of course, but that is not super relevant in this context.
I really hope you're right here. John deserves it.

Old
  (#62)
johnnysd
AzB Silver Member
johnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-30-2019, 07:46 PM

Bash me all you want, but I think the run is BS and that is what the video is so delayed. I honestly do not believe he did it. He is capable, but I think he was tired of grinding for it.

Mr 600
Old
  (#63)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr 600 - 07-30-2019, 07:53 PM

I want to see the entire run. Not that I am suspect about it but I am a pool nut and want to see history as it was made. Would pay reasonable $ to have it in its entirety.

I’m sure there are many who would rather see a production that has periods of impressive runs, along with a few great shots, and some commentary about the game. Maybe some of the seedy side of pool and some dames showing cleavage. Then the last shots before the record and the shots leading up to the miss. Maybe that production can get the big $ that I hope JS gets from breaking this record.

This run is a big deal! In these modern times, there needs to be video available that appeals to different types of fans. Not sure which production can pay off.

Last edited by Scratch85; 07-30-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Old
  (#64)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
Bash me all you want, but I think the run is BS and that is what the video is so delayed. I honestly do not believe he did it. He is capable, but I think he was tired of grinding for it.
Not bashing but, do you:

disrespect people's "life work" much?

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#65)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
07-30-2019, 09:39 PM

Gruven that's kind of an interesting thought. John could think of a number that he thinks is the realistic maximum he could hope to get paid, 10k or whatever, and then does a Kickstarter or whatever for it.

One he hits that number, he uploads the video to youtube. maybe those who kick in 50+ get to download a high production value version, while the rest get the bare run.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

Old
  (#66)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
Gruven that's kind of an interesting thought. John could think of a number that he thinks is the realistic maximum he could hope to get paid, 10k or whatever, and then does a Kickstarter or whatever for it.

One he hits that number, he uploads the video to youtube. maybe those who kick in 50+ get to download a high production value version, while the rest get the bare run.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android
sure, something like that..I wonder if he's considered the crowdfunding route
I would ask but don't have facebook
I just want to see john do well
and it would be great to talk about the pool instead of
"where's the vid"
meanwhile I'm diggin this chinese 8-ball cue..
bet it would be good for straights too
family in town this week
maybe next..

peace & love

Old
  (#67)
smashmouth
AzB Silver Member
smashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.
lol, it's not 1992 there buddy

sounds like this whole thing could be a hoax
if so, utterly disgusting and brilliant at the same time

Old
  (#68)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.
Is this a joke? Copyright and streaming are the only ways he can monetize this. Selling DVDs will be a losing venture, a teenager can crack the encryption and rip the video, or just record it during playback.

I wish he thought of all of this ahead of time, or reached out to an expert to speed things along, but listening to antiquated advice is not the answer

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#69)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
Shaw's run got to hundreds of thousands of views with no promotion and no world record. Schmidt has history and the biggest brand name in pool behind him.

I don't think it's implausible that Schmidt's world record run would garner multiple millions of views when a three-cushion video is able to hit 100k.

Of course, the longer they wait the less demand there will be.
What % of pool players (not AZ forum goers) do you think know Jason Shaw’s name vs the % that know John Schmidt’s?

It’s just Shaw’s name that got the views. No one knows who John is (think globally)

Old
  (#70)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-31-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Sure...and the government wants to kill its citizens.

The Pentagon didn't get hit by a plane.

Sandy Hook never happened .

The moon landing found the moon is made of cheese...coz the craft never left Hollywood.

Old
  (#71)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
Is this a joke? Copyright and streaming are the only ways he can monetize this. Selling DVDs will be a losing venture, a teenager can crack the encryption and rip the video, or just record it during playback.

I wish he thought of all of this ahead of time, or reached out to an expert to speed things along, but listening to antiquated advice is not the answer
You're a little late to the party. I refer you to my post #36 from two days ago.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#72)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmouth View Post
lol, it's not 1992 there buddy

sounds like this whole thing could be a hoax
if so, utterly disgusting and brilliant at the same time
Name:  23292749-6A8E-4332-9905-1B14F37DDB12.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  61.7 KB

I’ll take Mr Capelle’s word for it

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#73)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Attachment 526075

I’ll take Mr Capelle’s word for it
I'm not saying it's a hoax, but it seems mr. Capelle didn't witness it, either...

I very much doubt it's a hoax, but I think the whole (non)release has been handled extremely poorly. Whatever money he could potentially earn from this was probably cut in half by that fact alone.

Old
  (#74)
BJTyler
AzB Member
BJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond reputeBJTyler has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2019, 07:05 AM

Some really good opinions/thoughts on this thread....hopefully John benefits from them.

Here are some additional thoughts.

1. I tend to agree that DVDs are and should be the secondary media format for this. I have a DVD player, but haven't purchased a DVD in years. I almost exclusively use on Demand for my entertainment content, I believe this is the future and as such John should primarily pursue this route.

2. Utilizing an on-demand format, I think there are many creative ways he could present the run of 626, thereby increasing its value. including
- being able to index/skip ahead by ball number, rack number, key balls, break balls, or time.
- having multiple commentaries: people, skill levels, etc...
- top 20 shots
- top 20 break shots
- lessons
- interactive Q&A type stuff

3. By utilizing an on-demand format, he could also charge an annual subscription that would not only allow the user to watch the run as often as they want, but he could further monetize the run by placing additional pool content on the site, such as:
- lessons
- other runs
- other matches
- product reviews
- product sales (marketplace)
- etc...

4. While none of this is easy, and some could require a significant investment, he wouldn't have to do it all at once, he could slowly build up the site using the 626 as the hook to attract people.

Of course, putting the run on a DVD and selling it is much easier and far less risky, but if John is interested in turning this accomplishment into an actual business (which he may not), I think there is a route available.

Old
  (#75)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

07-31-2019, 07:07 AM

I don't think it is a hoax either. I feel like the video was probably a poor quality and it's taking a while to dress it up the best they can.

I'm sure John did the run, just feel there are probably issues with the video making it take longer. If he was initially recording it just as proof then he probably didnt care to much about the quality or setup of it, just wanted a document it. Now after the fact, the pool player wants to make money off of it, which doesn't shock me... a pool player with poor planning trying to make a nickel.

Ideally, this would have been handled as similar to his accustats video as possible. So with all the time and attempts it took to do this, he would have had to been a one man crew, but taking a little bit extra time at the beginning of the day would go along way in terms of the quality and marketability of the video.

Look at Early TAR for example. The SVB vs Corey race to 100. It was a single, high quality, camera mounted straight and never moved for the entire race. The quality looked great. Very aesthetically pleasing and easy to watch and this was over a decade ago.

Now look at John's current youtube vids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdiRXXjJwQE The video quality is a bit washed out in color. Blue cloth would have probably helped that some. The camera is slighly slanted as well. Maybe that part could be straightened/corrected in post. Just little things like that will take away from the marketability of it.

Any video is great as proof of it happening, but if you want people to buy it you are going to have to make it look good too.

I'm going to buy it regardless how it looks or how they decide to sell it, but I'm a pool fanatic. If you want the random pool player/league player to buy it, the production quality is going to have to be decent, and that and promotion of it isnt gong to be free either.

You have pool players making and selling a video of a pool player playing a dead game in a dead sport. Doesn't matter how much you polish it up, you'd be lucky to pull a couple thousand dollars in profit from it. With all that being said, (especially the quality and lack of real profit) the best option for this would be for free on Youtube or a couple bucks on Vimeo or something like that, just to get the views more then anything.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 07-31-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Page 5 of 82 « First 345 671555 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: