Reload this Page Three Ko Brothers Playing at the International 9-Ball Open
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
On the other hand ...
Old
  (#16)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

On the other hand ... - 09-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
One thing, for sure... saying you are the best Pool player in that household means A LOT more than if anyone else says it...

Eric

On the other hand, if you are hustling: "I play alright but both of my brothers play better than I do."

Hu

Odds
Old
  (#17)
djg576
AzB Gold Member
djg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond reputedjg576 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Odds - 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
The Ko brothers, left to right in both pictures: Ping-Chung (middle in age). Pin-Yi (oldest), Ping-Han (youngest)
What are the odds of two of the brothers finishing the top 16, assuming two would play each other prior to this stage? May be my first sweat bet.

Old
  (#18)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-11-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Very little. Pool isnt a big deal in Taiwan, much like here.

Eric
Pro pool is on TV in Taiwan way more than it is in the USA.

I was just there last April and everyone I talked to (through sign language and translation on most occasions) in the pool halls knew who the pro players were. They were showing me the Facebook pages for pro tournaments and the schedules. I couldn't read the Chinese writing on the websites they were showing me, but I could see that they knew way more about "pool" than the people I see here in the pool hall during the APA leagues.

They all said Chang Jung-Lin was Taiwan's current best pool player.

Old
  (#19)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 03:24 AM

Winning 7-4 against Chinakov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGTFzkxRvD4

Losing 7-3 to Geronimo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgeIvy9jpV4

His style is very similar to his brothers', but no surprise there. It does seem, at least from the match against Chinakhov, that he plays at a slightly quick pace than his 2 older brothers.

Old
  (#20)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

09-12-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Pro pool is on TV in Taiwan way more than it is in the USA.

I was just there last April and everyone I talked to (through sign language and translation on most occasions) in the pool halls knew who the pro players were. They were showing me the Facebook pages for pro tournaments and the schedules. I couldn't read the Chinese writing on the websites they were showing me, but I could see that they knew way more about "pool" than the people I see here in the pool hall during the APA leagues.

They all said Chang Jung-Lin was Taiwan's current best pool player.
Ok, I'll give you that; the actual poolplayers are more cognoscenti than ours.

As far as the overall population, Pool is more of a subculture sport, imo. It's not like a large part of the population follows Pool or are fans. Pool rooms aren't everywhere. In fact, once you leave Taipei or Kaohsiung or their suburbs, you won't find many poolhalls.

Eric

Old
  (#21)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Ok, I'll give you that; the actual poolplayers are more cognoscenti than ours.

As far as the overall population, Pool is more of a subculture sport, imo. It's not like a large part of the population follows Pool or are fans. Pool rooms aren't everywhere. In fact, once you leave Taipei or Kaohsiung or their suburbs, you won't find many poolhalls.

Eric
Quite a few in Taichung. I went to two and found several more easily with some local help.

Old
  (#22)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Quite a few in Taichung. I went to two and found several more easily with some local help.
I'm more familiar with the Taipei area and Kaohsiung. Taichung City should have pool halls, I'm sure. It a metro area.

I guess my point is that Taiwan is not a Pool crazed country like the PI, for example. It's not close. For that matter, an argument can be made that Pool is more popular and gets more support in mainland China, now, vs Taiwan.

Eric

Old
  (#23)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-12-2019, 07:54 PM

I think it's supercool that they will all be present. I'll be attending the last three days of the event, and truly hope that Baby Ko will last long enough for me to see him play.

Hate to Say It
Old
  (#24)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Hate to Say It - 09-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
I think it's supercool that they will all be present. I'll be attending the last three days of the event, and truly hope that Baby Ko will last long enough for me to see him play.

Stu,

I hate to say it but I don't think your chances of getting there in time to catch Baby Ko are too good when you are still sweating the 2017 Mosconi Cup. He may be Pappy Ko by the time you catch up with him!

Hu

Old
  (#25)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-12-2019, 08:37 PM

They differ from us, in that they already have state-sponsored billiard training academies...unlike here, where there are a few legitimate training academies, but they receive no government assistance. Not to mention that the mindset here is go out and gamble to get better!

Scott Lee
Director, The SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Very little. Pool isnt a big deal in Taiwan, much like here.

Eric

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#26)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

09-12-2019, 09:18 PM

I don't care what anybody says, Saturday Night Fever was a great album!
Attached Images

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#27)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBum View Post
I don't care what anybody says, Saturday Night Fever was a great album!
Itís close.....

Name:  C98D04BF-F354-4860-BB24-0699B8C13020.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  FAE84EA6-5776-4B46-BF1D-455424A6D9D2.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  96.2 KB

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Bee Gees Rocks
Old
  (#28)
spartan
AzB Silver Member
spartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond repute

Talking Bee Gees Rocks - 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Name:  bk2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  86.9 KB

Night fever, night fever
We know how to do it
Gimme that night fever, night fever
We know how to show it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ihs-vT9T3Q

Love the Bee Gees notwithstanding the bell bottoms, big collars, long sideburns
Saturday Night Fever is still best selling soundtrack album of all time more than 50 million sold.

Old
  (#29)
Eric.
Club a member

09-19-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
They differ from us, in that they already have state-sponsored billiard training academies...unlike here,

Scott Lee
Director, The SPF National Pool School Tour
Are you sure about this? I think it might not be completely accurate. You might be thinking of China. While there are youth elective courses in school (junior high/high school), I've don't think they have State sponsored academies?

From what I understand, the government used to give stipends to help support the pro pool players but it was literally a stipend and not a complete free ride.

Eric

Old
  (#30)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Stu,

I hate to say it but I don't think your chances of getting there in time to catch Baby Ko are too good when you are still sweating the 2017 Mosconi Cup. He may be Pappy Ko by the time you catch up with him!

Hu
LOL, Hu. Guess I'm hoping against hope.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: