Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626
Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626
Old
  (#1)
arnaldo
AzB Silver Member
arnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626 - 09-18-2019, 03:23 PM

Former Straight Pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626.

Have to love the sincere amazement, respect, and informed appreciation these world-class Straight Pool champions express about John’s record-breaking feat. The unreserved praise, analyses, and pure enthusiasm of his well-credentialed contemporaries are quite admirable and impressive.

Arnaldo

Full Billiards Digest article here:

https://tinyurl.com/y44u655f

Excerpted comments below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champs Weigh In
Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626

Mike Sigel
World 14.1 Champion 1979, '81, '85

It's the most amazing feat I've ever heard. My high run was 339. Look at all the other runs he had in the 300s and 400s. How hard is what he did? He's the only one that's ever done it. You have to have the ability and you have to get a shot after 44 consecutive break shots. It's hard to believe. To concentrate that long and get the opportunity in 44 racks is amazing. As for criticism, I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit. The reality is that nobody else has even come close to that. Even if straight pool was the game today and all the top players were playing it all the time, I still don't think this number would be beat. That's how incredible it is.

Thorsten Hohmann
World 14.1 Champion 2006
World Tournament of 14.1
Champion 2011, '13, '15, '18

For starters, I have to give John credit for such a pubic attempt, putting the pressure on himself by putting his attempts on social media. It was a mission. And for him to put up so many high runs over that time is pretty amazing. And to get to 626 is incredible. I don't have an opinion on people's discussion of its merit. Him doing it is amazing. I don't care about who recognizes it.

Nick Varner
World 14.1 Champion 1980, '86

I don't think anybody has tried that hard before. This was John's goal and he accomplished it. My high run is 337. It's a remarkable feat to break Mosconi's record after all these years, and to break it on a 9-foot table is even better. I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case. What's even more amazing to me is that he ran 100 more balls after he broke the record. Concentration is such a big part of running balls in straight pool and it would have been hard for me not to stop and celebrate after hitting 527.

Darren Appleton
World Tournament of 14.1 Champion 2014

To me, it's one of the greatest feats of all time in our sport. It's an incredible achievement. I didn't think he'd make it after breaking down on 400 a few times. The pressure once he got to 450 would be too much for anyone. But it was a lifelong ambition for him and his determination was amazing. He deserved it more than any other players. Negativity on social media has been disappointing, but John has the respect for this achievement from his fellow professionals because we all know what a mammoth effort it was and how difficult this really is.

“When the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you’re down to your reflexes. That’s where your roadwork shows . . . If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, well, you’re gonna get found out now, under the bright lights.” – Joe “Smokin’ Joe” Frazier

Old
  (#2)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Quite an ccomplishment

I have played pool over 60 years,sometime against vtop quality competition

and I have a hard time running 15 balls,when I think about what Schmidt did ,
I find it almost impossible to believe

I know how strange balls roll ,freeze or get hooked ,this record could stand forever

Old
  (#3)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

09-18-2019, 04:19 PM

Pffftt!!! What do those guys know???

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#4)
Lonestar_jim
Two & Out
Lonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBum View Post
Pffftt!!! What do those guys know???
Right ! I got Lou on speed dial. Let’s kick this around some more.

Money - Bag
(D-bag club, self appointed Treasurer)

Old
  (#5)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_jim View Post
Right ! I got Lou on speed dial. Let’s kick this around some more.

lol.

So one question: how many those guys saw the unedited video of the run?

... still waiting.

... still waiting.

... still waiting.

Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

oh, that's right: Not a one of them. Someone call Mike Panozzo.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 09-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-18-2019, 05:14 PM

Hold up there, Lou.

You can expect it to arrive with your next copy of Inside Pool.

Old
  (#7)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Any or all of them may have seen the elusive video evidentiary procedure. I imagine John would ask those he's shown not to mention it, lest his adoring fans turn riotous in jealousy.

Old
  (#8)
spktur
AzB Silver Member
spktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Yeah besides we know Lou has actually done so much in regards to pool. Not, just another blowhard tooting his horn trying to get a little attention

Old
  (#9)
jimmyco
These go to 11
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 05:37 PM

That didn't take long at all.

It would be nice to read a thread about John where most, if not all of the posts are about John and what he has done.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#10)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-18-2019, 06:41 PM

Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#11)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spktur View Post
Yeah besides we know Lou has actually done so much in regards to pool. Not, just another blowhard tooting his horn trying to get a little attention

Sure, lol.

Try and make it about me instead of dealing with the facts.

Lou Figueroa
of which
there ain’t much

Old
  (#12)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

09-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
That didn't take long at all.

It would be nice to read a thread about John where most, if not all of the posts are about John and what he has done.

More accurately: about what he may or may not have done.

Lou Figueroa
where’s the tape?

Old
  (#13)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Some of the best pool players to ever live acknowledge John's run but:

some miniscule person thinks his opinion overrides their opinion.

I wonder if John knows that he has such control over another?

I hope I never have such jealousy and disdain for someone to the point of making me look, sound and eventually feel like a jacka55.

Willie's run was witnessed and people signed a paper saying as much.

John's run was witnessed and people signed a paper saying as much.

One is accepted by 100% of the population.

The other is accepted by 99.9% of the population.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#14)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spktur View Post
Only in his wildest dreams could this conversation be even remotely about him.

^^^^^^^^ part of the problem.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#15)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-18-2019, 08:31 PM

I'm happy for John. The positive feedback he's gotten here from established legends of the straight pool discipline will mean the world to him.

Most of us on this forum have, at some point in our lives, demonstrated excellence at something. For some of us, it's in pool, for some of us it's in our trade or profession, for some of us it's in our hobbies. Each of us, consequently, knows how much it means to us when those most able to appreciate what it takes to attain such achievements nod with sustained approval.

Well done, John. The respect of your peers means everything!

Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: