Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626
Page 5 of 8 « First 345 67 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-19-2019, 05:00 PM

People have complained that a long run isn’t valid if it wasn’t made during competition. I imagine tournament runs would become much longer if safety play was banned!

Old
  (#62)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
People have complained that a long run isnít valid if it wasnít made during competition. I imagine tournament runs would become much longer if safety play was banned!
Then Mosconi never had the record, or he shared it with a bunch of people.

How would runs be any longer? A race to 150 is a race to 150, you cant go past 150 unless you were in the negative to start the run.

Old
  (#63)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
now, now, Lou has feelings too lol
That's the problem. Some people have to many feelings and end up being "sensitive".

Then again, crazy don't know their crazy either so, the more sensitive a person is, the less sensitive they think they are.

Kind of funny when you think about it.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#64)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

Balls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond repute

Cool 09-20-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
How much do you know about the saying - crazier than a Shithouse Rat?
I googled it and it said "see Johns supporters"

BarBoxRules.com
Supporting Olympic dreams since 2009
I am no longer active in this forum.

Old
  (#65)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

Balls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond repute

Cool 09-20-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
Good Lord. Do you really believe that Mosconi set the record by duplicating Irving Crane's exact conditions back when 309 was the world record?
Why shouldn't his run be comparable?

BarBoxRules.com

Old
  (#66)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

Cool 09-20-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
The only way John could satisfy your requirements is if he was playing next on the table Mosconi just played on, but then, the chances are the humidity level wouldn't have been the same, so you'd still have objections.
I thought about the humidity but I felt that would not fair to the person trying.

So what do you know about shaving the slate around the pockets?

BarBoxRules.com

Old
  (#67)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 02:01 AM

This why I love AZB. It brings all the kooks out of the woodwork. I especially love it when they fight among themselves. It's very entertaining.

From the get go I expressed admiration and respect for what John achieved by running 626 balls. Sure, it's easy to find ways to pick it apart but in my mind that does not diminish what he accomplished. I put myself more in the school of thought echoed here by the players quoted in the OP.

Bravo to John Schmidt who fought hard and worked tirelessly to achieve his goal of running more balls than the great Willie Mosconi had run, and in the process beat a record that had stood as the ultimate achievement in pool for over six decades. He never allowed bad luck or disappointments to stop him in his quest. Every time he got knocked down he got back on that horse and tried again.

If he achieved nothing else, his name will be a part of pool history for a long, long time.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 09-20-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Old
  (#68)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Why shouldn't his run be comparable?
Here is one example why they are not comparable as a whole:

Take the fastest dragster in 1950. Look it up. What were the:

Track lengths
Track material
Finish times
Outside temps
Weight/size of car
Weight/size of drivers
Horsepower limitations or not?
Wheel size
Accuracy of clocks
Rules in general

I could go on and on and on........

Now.....lol.....

Compare all ^^^^^^^^^^ to the fastest dragster of today.

Is there a difference in finish times?....lol
Is there a difference in horsepower?...lol
How about weight difference in cars?...lol
How about track material?...lol
How about rules and limitations?...lol

Was the driver in 1950 less skilled just because his equipment was inferior compared to todays equipment? I think not but, he did the best he could with what he had to do with.

Same with pool and other sports. Cues are better, felt is faster and stays cleaner longer, balls are better and stay cleaner longer, room conditions are far better....

Look, I understand that some people are trolls. I'm not saying you are one of them but, if you can't see those points and how they paint the picture, well, I don't know what to say other than:

A record will fall no matter who sets it. Some will stand longer than others but, ALL records fall eventually andnfor all sorts of reasons.

A particular record may be taken down by someone you don't like but, that is life. You should have learned you weren't the best at everything in kindergarten, just like you should have learned you weren't the worst at everything either.

You, me, we.....well, we are who and what we are and there is absolutely nothing you, me ,we can do to change that regardless of how bad you want to or how much you HATE it........or.......even how much you disagree with it.

In the end, when it comes to deciding if the world 14.1 exhibition record has been officially broken or not, well, just like my opinion, your opinion and a dollar won't even buy a soda.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#69)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 06:42 AM

I think perhaps it's time a few of us get together and go to the pool room where this run took place.

They've got to have security cameras set up around the place. We'll give the owner a choice..plata o plomo.

Then we shall see

Old
  (#70)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 06:50 AM

Damn Jay I cannot give you any more green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This why I love AZB. It brings all the kooks out of the woodwork. I especially love it when they fight among themselves. It's very entertaining.

From the get go I expressed admiration and respect for what John achieved by running 626 balls. Sure, it's easy to find ways to pick it apart but in my mind that does not diminish what he accomplished. I put myself more in the school of thought echoed here by the players quoted in the OP.

Bravo to John Schmidt who fought hard and worked tirelessly to achieve his goal of running more balls than the great Willie Mosconi had run, and in the process beat a record that had stood as the ultimate achievement in pool for over six decades. He never allowed bad luck or disappointments to stop him in his quest. Every time he got knocked down he got back on that horse and tried again.

If he achieved nothing else, his name will be a part of pool history for a long, long time.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#71)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I'm sure English is hard for you but maybe there is someone there like an American English teacher that can help you understand. I really don't have that much time to help you understand what I'm saying everytime I post something. Please, go and work on your American English.

and you, your nothing but a few lines of random thoughts in a forum crying like a baby and one might ask why? Why do you care? Why are you foaming at the mouth?

I know I really don't care.

Maybe it's time to just call them and see what's really in their hand.
You apparently don't have the time to help yourself understand what your about to write before you write it.

I am trying to have an actual conversation with you like human beings are capable of.

The only thing your doing is going of the deep end.

Someone who can explain themselves usually will. You simply can't, at least that what it seems like.

You should probably take your "Russians" bs to the npr, you can discuss that there for the rest of eternity.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#72)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

09-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Here is one example why they are not comparable as a whole:

Take the fastest dragster in 1950. Look it up. What were the:

Track lengths
Track material
Finish times
Outside temps
Weight/size of car
Weight/size of drivers
Horsepower limitations or not?
Wheel size
Accuracy of clocks
Rules in general

I could go on and on and on........

Now.....lol.....

Compare all ^^^^^^^^^^ to the fastest dragster of today.

Is there a difference in finish times?....lol
Is there a difference in horsepower?...lol
How about weight difference in cars?...lol
How about track material?...lol
How about rules and limitations?...lol

Was the driver in 1950 less skilled just because his equipment was inferior compared to todays equipment? I think not but, he did the best he could with what he had to do with.

Same with pool and other sports. Cues are better, felt is faster and stays cleaner longer, balls are better and stay cleaner longer, room conditions are far better....

Look, I understand that some people are trolls. I'm not saying you are one of them but, if you can't see those points and how they paint the picture, well, I don't know what to say other than:

A record will fall no matter who sets it. Some will stand longer than others but, ALL records fall eventually andnfor all sorts of reasons.

A particular record may be taken down by someone you don't like but, that is life. You should have learned you weren't the best at everything in kindergarten, just like you should have learned you weren't the worst at everything either.

You, me, we.....well, we are who and what we are and there is absolutely nothing you, me ,we can do to change that regardless of how bad you want to or how much you HATE it........or.......even how much you disagree with it.

In the end, when it comes to deciding if the world 14.1 exhibition record has been officially broken or not, well, just like my opinion, your opinion and a dollar won't even buy a soda.

Jeff
You know I'm not going to read all this right?

BarBoxRules.com

Old
  (#73)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

09-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
You apparently don't have the time to help yourself understand what your about to write before you write it.

I am trying to have an actual conversation with you like human beings are capable of.

The only thing your doing is going of the deep end.

Someone who can explain themselves usually will. You simply can't, at least that what it seems like.

You should probably take your "Russians" bs to the npr, you can discuss that there for the rest of eternity.

all that work and it just goes nowhere.

BarBoxRules.com

Old
  (#74)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
all that work and it just goes nowhere.
Duck season!

Old
  (#75)
hotelyorba
AzB Silver Member
hotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond reputehotelyorba has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 03:34 AM

"I had hundreds of days that just were not fun. People think a lot of pros can do this, but I want to see how they react after they get a skid at 390 or a miscue at 275, day after day." - John Schmidt

This sentence in the article that OP posted kinda stuck with me. In my poolroom, I had several discussions with other players whether other players could also run 600+ balls, and we believed there would be some that could if they thought it was worth the effort. And because there's not much money to be won and the pros shoot pool to pay their bills, we assumed that's why no-one ever tried anything like this.

But reading this article, it occurred to me that it takes something other than just being able to shoot the required amount of racks. Seems to me it takes a tremendous amount of willpower to get over all those disappointments of seeing a real long run end short of the 526-mark, day after day, and motivating yourself again to start over. I have great respect for that, besides of course achieving the record itself. I think you would be hard pressed to find another player that has this in him.

Also, a question: I saw the term 'treetop' used in the article, can someone explain what that means in the context of straight pool?

Lastly, regarding the discussion going for 4 pages: don't feed the troll.

Last edited by hotelyorba; 09-21-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Page 5 of 8 « First 345 67 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: