Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Shocking scenes from Mexico
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-31-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord View Post
That is probably BS. If you have lots of cash like cartels do you can buy military hardware from many suppliers.
No, not bs. Tons of sources on this. Here is one:
https://www.economist.com/the-americ...-latin-america

Old
  (#17)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
Yes this has been said time and time again. The implication is, that if we in the US would put in place gun control that it would have an effect in Mexico.

I doubt that would be the case.

Old
  (#18)
asiasdad
Banned
asiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

08-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Noticed that too, but it wasn't the first thing that caught my eye. Any idea what was used on that guy in the backseat of that truck? Gone.
It looks like the backseat guy blew his own head off
from the rips on the headrest, the blown out back window
and no apparent door window or door damage.

Old
  (#19)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Yes this has been said time and time again. The implication is, that if we in the US would put in place gun control that it would have an effect in Mexico.

I doubt that would be the case.
Well, probably not. It is a fact, though, that in many armed conflicts around the world, civilian market guns are imported from the US, especially by guerilla type organizations. Plenty of it in the Balkans. US 50 cal. sniper rifles were especially popular during the turbulent times there for some groups who had problems gettting guns through more regular channels. Expats living in the US would buy and then send these items, that could be hard to source on the illegal market and expensive too. That's probably still true for specialty items like that.

Likewise, criminal organizations also do the same thing. It's often easier and cheaper to just buy the guns than to steal, or buy stolen ones, especially when time is of the essence. If the US had tightened up it's gun laws today, it probably wouldn't make an immidiate difference, as there are so many guns about. After a while, though, alternative sources would have to be found. It wouldn't necessarily be as easy and cheap, but they'd have guns either way.

The Mexican cartels have lots of money, they want the best guns and guns that give prestige. They're not going to buy some ratty ww2 relic or a rusty shotgun, most likely, when they can get factory fresh, customized automatic guns straight from the shop (delivered by a smuggler of course). How much difference the ease (or lack thereof) of procuring quality weapons would make on Mexican violence would only be a guess. Anyway, I don't think it's a relevant point in the US gun debate, and I hardly think anyone is going to convince someone else by appealing to the situation in Mexico. If they do, they're not very smart.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 08-31-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Old
  (#20)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Well, probably not. It is a fact, though, that in many armed conflicts around the world, civilian market guns are imported from the US, especially by guerilla type organizations. Plenty of it in the Balkans. US 50 cal. sniper rifles were especially popular during the turbulent times there for some groups who had problems gettting guns through more regular channels. Expats living in the US would buy and then send these items, that could be hard to source on the illegal market and expensive too. That's probably still true for specialty items like that.

Likewise, criminal organizations also do the same thing. It's often easier and cheaper to just buy the guns than to steal, or buy stolen ones, especially when time is of the essence. If the US had tightened up it's gun laws today, it probably wouldn't make an immidiate difference, as there are so many guns about. After a while, though, alternative sources would have to be found. It wouldn't necessarily be as easy and cheap, but they'd have guns either way.

The Mexican cartels have lots of money, they want the best guns and guns that give prestige. They're not going to buy some ratty ww2 relic or a rusty shotgun, most likely, when they can get factory fresh, customized automatic guns straight from the shop (delivered by a smuggler of course). How much difference the ease (or lack thereof) of procuring quality weapons would make on Mexican violence would only be a guess. Anyway, I don't think it's a relevant point in the US gun debate, and I hardly think anyone is going to convince someone else by appealing to the situation in Mexico. If they do, they're not very smart.
It is also a fact that in many of these conflicts, the AK-47 is also a fan favorite. This is not a U.S. weapon.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#21)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls

08-31-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
It is also a fact that in many of these conflicts, the AK-47 is also a fan favorite. This is not a U.S. weapon.
In many conflict zones, the standard Army issue is AK family weapons. So they're widely available in the theater, especially in the middle east and former Soviet countries. The Russians are also great gun exporters, officially and unofficially, as is the US.

I don't really think it makes a huge difference wether someone has an AK or an M16/M4. I just think the civilian, black market export route is interesting. That is all.

Old
  (#22)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:

How is gun control working in Mexico?

Old
  (#23)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-31-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
The implication is, that if we in the US would put in place gun control that it would have an effect in Mexico.
How could it not? Chicago's tight gun control is largely negated by neighboring loose gun control areas - 2/3 or more of the guns used in Chicago crimes come from outside Chicago.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#24)
overlord
AzB Silver Member

08-31-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
How could it not? Chicago's tight gun control is largely negated by neighboring loose gun control areas - 2/3 or more of the guns used in Chicago crimes come from outside Chicago.

pj
chgo
Your statement is either naive or uninformed. There are international arms dealers that supply folks in conflicts, for the kind of cash that the cartels have.

It is ironic that the biggest arms dealer in the world is the US. For controversial conflicts there are nations that will sell arms to those folks that have the cash to purchase them.

There are international mercenary soldiers that have been known to work for drug cartels. Mexico is out of control and you guys want an open border with them.

Old
  (#25)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
In addition to the various "sporting arms" pictured in your link, the cartels use uparmored SUVs with mounted, belt fed MGs, grenade launchers, RPGs, .50 caliber sniper rifles and a wide assortment of unmodified select fire small arms.

These are not coming across their northern border.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#26)
asiasdad
Banned
asiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 05:21 PM

Does anyone realize the best way to fight the cartels is to:

A. Not buy their drugs
B. Not buy their trafficked humans
C. Not buy their trafficked human organs
D. Not buy their guns

No demand = no market

Old
  (#27)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 05:32 PM

You know things have gone past the point of no return when a drug gang can attack a military installation with that kind of impunity. And this is not the first time.

The cartels must own a significant number of the elected officials in Mexico to get away with this kind of thing. Perhaps a majority.

Old
  (#28)
asiasdad
Banned

08-31-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
You know things have gone past the point of no return when a drug gang can attack a military installation with that kind of impunity. And this is not the first time.

The cartels must own a significant number of the elected officials in Mexico to get away with this kind of thing. Perhaps a majority.
As well as many in the USA.

Old
  (#29)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

08-31-2019, 07:05 PM

Years ago I was in Tijuana. The second I set foot in there I knew I wanted to be out of there before the sun set. This was New Year's Day 2000. A few days earlier when I landed in LAX they busted a group of terrorists there right before I landed. I want rolling the dice on good fortune

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#30)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiasdad View Post
Does anyone realize the best way to fight the cartels is to:

A. Not buy their drugs
B. Not buy their trafficked humans
C. Not buy their trafficked human organs
D. Not buy their guns

No demand = no market
Thatís the elephant in the room....Canadians and Americans made cartels successful.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: