Helpless, wtf

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I am playing a pretty good player a couple days ago and he is shooting a combo on the 9. I am standing about 10 ft away and swear he touched the cab with his tip, prior to shooting. Next stroke, he shoots and makes the ball.

It is early in our match and we are playing by the game, I don't say anything and walk over to the only guy I know to be a standup Rick and ask him if he saw it. He says he didn't.

It wasn't the kind of shot one might ask for the hit to be called by a third party and like I said, before I could say anything, the ball was sunk.

I chalked it up to a freebie for him and ended up a couple games winner, but I am kinda bothered by it.

What could I have done?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you could have said: "from way back there it kinda looked like you touched the CB?"

If he says "nope", you move on.

If he says "Yep, I should have called that on myself", you accept his late call, and move on.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
So, I am playing a pretty good player a couple days ago and he is shooting a combo on the 9. I am standing about 10 ft away and swear he touched the cab with his tip, prior to shooting.

What could I have done?

First, you would have to describe, what you meant, by, he touched the cab.

In my mind, that's a taxi cab.

But, maybe you meant something else.

I give everybody the benefit of the doubt....... For some time.

All the best,
WW

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you could have said: "from way back there it kinda looked like you touched the CB?"

If he says "Yep, I should have called that on myself", you accept his late call, and move on.

Sounds reasonable, but if he did touch it, he fired it off...so what is likelihood of a 180 honesty level?

If he didn't do it and I have accused an honest guy of cheating, well then...that imposes an air of doubt on both ends.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I am playing a pretty good player a couple days ago and he is shooting a combo on the 9. I am standing about 10 ft away and swear he touched the cab with his tip, prior to shooting. Next stroke, he shoots and makes the ball.

It is early in our match and we are playing by the game, I don't say anything and walk over to the only guy I know to be a standup Rick and ask him if he saw it. He says he didn't.

It wasn't the kind of shot one might ask for the hit to be called by a third party and like I said, before I could say anything, the ball was sunk.

I chalked it up to a freebie for him and ended up a couple games winner, but I am kinda bothered by it.

What could I have done?

There are a few shots in pool that happen that are so slight and so fast that only the shooter knows if it was a double hit. And, there is always the possibility you were in error. You just have to let it go.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few shots in pool that happen that are so slight and so fast that only the shooter knows if it was a double hit. And, there is always the possibility you were in error. You just have to let it go.

Lou Figueroa

You are right...not even a speed bump.

But what if it was at a critical point in a set?

Nothing one can do, is there?

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What could I have done?

just ask him if that was a good hit and if he say yes then pay him...if not then take ball in hand but move on to the next game especially if you're favor to win everytime

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just ask him if that was a good hit and if he say yes then pay him...if not then take ball in hand but move on to the next game especially if you're favor to win everytime

Yeah, I wen with yours and Lou's path. Kept my mouth shut and got on with it.

Not sure about being the favorite, but I did end up ahead at the end.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Well you could have asked and given him the opportunity to fess up, if he denied it you let it go and move on. I've had guy's not be honest to give it up on their own, but as soon as you say something they hand it over without a hassle. That's why I always watch the game and not other stuff that's going on.

Black Cat :cool:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you could have asked and given him the opportunity to fess up, if he denied it you let it go and move on. I've had guy's not be honest to give it up on their own, but as soon as you say something they hand it over without a hassle. That's why I always watch the game and not other stuff that's going on.

Black Cat :cool:

Whenever this happens I try to turn it into a learning moment that avoids confrontation.

I go up to said player and ask the player, "Can you help me out with something?
I tend to see players hit that type of shot and it always looks as if it's a bad hit."
How can I tell if the hit is good or not in that situation?"

You allow the player to explain in his/her own way.

This type of approach might illicit some important information for both of you.
It could even cause the said player (if he/she actually did make a bad hit on said
shot) to come clean--or at least, based on his explanation, that the shot could have been a bad hit.
Said player might be a bit ashamed the rest of the match.

We always learn when we teach/explain something to others.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the millisecond you saw that tip hit the CB you should have yelled out "Scratch!" Then you probably would have been three-up... Unless it's a more "friendly" game. I don't know about you, but I notice everything, even the way someone's breathing. Blessing and curse.

But, being you didn't call the foul before the shot was over, I'd say you got to suck it up, as you have learned to be quicker on the gun next time!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

It blows people's minds more often than not when I call a foul on myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think most people do, however you don't always feel some fouls (for example very light contacts and shirt fouls).

I've had fouls called against me before that I never felt, my stance is that I always assume my opponent is honest, but I appreciate that's probably not true for everyone, especially when gambling!

I know some people swear blindly that its impossible not to feel even a light contact, but that's simply not true, it can and does happen (occasionally).

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was the KB match, you might have an edge today, but might not tomorrow,
The other guy, nobody knows his speed yet.
Keep playin

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Regardless, he made his combo and even if he did touch the cb it wouldnt have benefited him in any way so I may have just said something like "Nice shot. Do you like to make things harder for yourself?"... Whatever their respose I would have laughed and accepted the outcome and crushed them the next game. But thats me..:smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

What could I have done?

Speak now or forever hold your peace. JH :smile:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

I do that as well but in my mind if I don't call it on myself it's gonna come back in the form of a supernatural bad roll & the worst possible time. Karma is not to be trifled with.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right...not even a speed bump.

But what if it was at a critical point in a set?

Nothing one can do, is there?

I don't think it matters. If you weren't in a good enough position to call it immediately, then make a forceful case, and he didn't call it on himself, you got not chance. Just got to let it go.

Lou Figueroa