My Trip to the Pool Hall Today

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
So I've had a lot on my mind today, I got tired of working on the project I'm focused on right now. I got dressed and prepared to go to the Gym and workout after stopping at the Pool Hall. I get my case get in the car and go, so when I get there, there were a few of the regulars playing on the Money Table.

So this is where it got interesting, there's 1 guy that I've played before was on the Money Table whipping up on 1 of the other regulars. He happened to challenge me a week ago but I hadn't brought my cue on that particular night so I had declined. Today however we didn't have that problem, so I waited for the challenge to come, so when it did I told him he was going to have to pay to play me. Well, he wasn't to happy to have me tell him that. So I asked him what he wanted to play, he said we can play 9 Ball, so I agreed but we had to call the 9 Ball. He replied that's a Bullshit Rule, so I replied well if you can play it shouldn't matter. So he couldn't get out of that logic, and agreed to the game. I beat him 4 straight lost 1, he wanted to quit. So I said you quitting on me? He said I ain't playing no more call the 9, so I said okay we'll play Wild 9, he accepted and said okay. I beat him 4 more, lost 1 and then won 1 he again he wanted to quit, so I said hey you not going to quit again are you? So he said I ain't playing no more 9 Ball, so I said well let's play 8 Ball so he said okay call pocket on all balls not just the 8, so I said no problem. I beat him 2 straight and he quit for good.

Now the thing that bugs me is that during the whole series he's talking and complaining about everything, trying his best to get me out of my game just didn't happen.

It feels good to put a sock in it once in awhile. He left mad and quiet today. Am I wrong, or should I be happy?

Money won is twice as good as money earned.

Black Cat :cool:

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball has always been call pocket on all balls. never heard it played any other way in an actual pool hall.

am I mistaken ?

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
8 ball has always been call pocket on all balls. never heard it played any other way in an actual pool hall.

am I mistaken ?

His emphasis was because he didn't want to play BIH. He wanted to play Bar Rules call all balls, caroms, and every nuance of each shot. So I played his game and still beat him.

This is a normal pattern for him, he's just able to win a lot of the time with people that aren't on his level. He was doing real well before he matched up against me. I just like to stick it to him whenever I get the chance because when he's winning you can't shut him up, today it was as quiet as a church.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His emphasis was because he didn't want to play BIH. He wanted to play Bar Rules call all balls, caroms, and every nuance of each shot. So I played his game and still beat him.

This is a normal pattern for him, he's just able to win a lot of the time with people that aren't on his level. He was doing real well before he matched up against me. I just like to stick it to him whenever I get the chance because when he's winning you can't shut him up, today it was as quiet as a church.

Are "bar rules" really that way? No wonder I never play in bars! We used to play "call shot" more as a challenge match than as a general rule.

Great work shuttin' him up!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it bad form to beat on someone, rub it in his face and then complain about the way he took his beating?!

Shit is tough, up in MD!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
So I've had a lot on my mind today, I got tired of working on the project I'm focused on right now. I got dressed and prepared to go to the Gym and workout after stopping at the Pool Hall. I get my case get in the car and go, so when I get there, there were a few of the regulars playing on the Money Table.

So this is where it got interesting, there's 1 guy that I've played before was on the Money Table whipping up on 1 of the other regulars. He happened to challenge me a week ago but I hadn't brought my cue on that particular night so I had declined. Today however we didn't have that problem, so I waited for the challenge to come, so when it did I told him he was going to have to pay to play me. Well, he wasn't to happy to have me tell him that. So I asked him what he wanted to play, he said we can play 9 Ball, so I agreed but we had to call the 9 Ball. He replied that's a Bullshit Rule, so I replied well if you can play it shouldn't matter. So he couldn't get out of that logic, and agreed to the game. I beat him 4 straight lost 1, he wanted to quit. So I said you quitting on me? He said I ain't playing no more call the 9, so I said okay we'll play Wild 9, he accepted and said okay. I beat him 4 more, lost 1 and then won 1 he again he wanted to quit, so I said hey you not going to quit again are you? So he said I ain't playing no more 9 Ball, so I said well let's play 8 Ball so he said okay call pocket on all balls not just the 8, so I said no problem. I beat him 2 straight and he quit for good.

Now the thing that bugs me is that during the whole series he's talking and complaining about everything, trying his best to get me out of my game just didn't happen.

It feels good to put a sock in it once in awhile. He left mad and quiet today. Am I wrong, or should I be happy?

You played HIS games, parlor tricks and all, and beat him.

Happy.

Jeff Livingston

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

am I mistaken ?

Yup, you're mistake . Professional 8-ball tournaments in the 70's and 80's were "slop" rules with only the 8-ball needing to go in a nominated pocket. Call shot (Pocket and ball like 14.1) wasn't an 8-ball rule until mid to late 80's, even though "call all the details" was rampant in bars and homes.

APA still plays this way.

So when people hear that you have to "call the 8-ball," it wasn't because you had to call it aloud; it was specifically because in the early decades of 8-ball, it (the 8-ball) was the only ball that had to go into an intended pocket. There was still no requirement to nominate an obvious pocket, but people mistook the "call the 8-ball" intent, and fights broke out daily across the country.

The APA tries to mitigate fights by requiring the player to mark (physically designate with an object like a coaster or patch) the nominated pocket. We used to be able to designate (mark) the pocket with a chalk cube, but the APA did away with that for a handful of good reasons. Players now just designate the pocket for the 8-ball with some other object and not a cube of chalk.

Freddie <~~~ ANYKTROTS

Last edited:

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very curious about who you beat up this way. I will understand if you don't want to name them here but when I next show up at your event at Bank Shot hopefully you will tell me.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, do you take selfies when you're in the gym too?...:D

wink.jpg

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I thought it bad form to beat on someone, rub it in his face and then complain about the way he took his beating?!

Shit is tough, up in MD!

BB that is not my normal mode of operation. I normally don't talk much if any at all. People that know me will tell you that. However this particular person is always running his mouth winning, losing or otherwise. It's a part of his Normal MO. today I was in a bad mood anyway and gave it back for once :grin:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I am very curious about who you beat up this way. I will understand if you don't want to name them here but when I next show up at your event at Bank Shot hopefully you will tell me.

No one that you know Curtis, you'll probably only run into him at Tri-Annuals or the such, other than that they never leave the street. I've tried broadening horizons, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Even though they play league, they always revert back to Bar Rules. That was why they were against calling the 9 Ball, part of his game is to ride the Wild 9. I'd rather give him the called 7 or 8 rather than playing with Wild Balls. But either way I played him every way he wanted once I'd gotten into his pocket, and he still lost.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one that you know Curtis, you'll probably only run into him at Tri-Annuals or the such, other than that they never leave the street. I've tried broadening horizons, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Even though they play league, they always revert back to Bar Rules. That was why they were against calling the 9 Ball, part of his game is to ride the Wild 9. I'd rather give him the called 7 or 8 rather than playing with Wild Balls. But either way I played him every way he wanted once I'd gotten into his pocket, and he still lost.

9 ball isn't supposed to be call 9 no matter where you play it

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
9 ball isn't supposed to be call 9 no matter where you play it

Tell that to the Challenge of Champions :wink: Rule Set can be whatever you agree on. I have no problem playing regular with players, I hate playing with folks that will bang and hope at every opportunity. That's all it makes them play, you don't lose on luck.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, you're mistake . Professional 8-ball tournaments in the 70's and 80's were "slop" rules with only the 8-ball needing to go in a nominated pocket. Call shot (Pocket and ball like 14.1) wasn't an 8-ball rule until mid to late 80's, even though "call all the details" was rampant in bars and homes.

APA still plays this way.

So when people hear that you have to "call the 8-ball," it wasn't because you had to call it aloud; it was specifically because in the early decades of 8-ball, it (the 8-ball) was the only ball that had to go into an intended pocket. There was still no requirement to nominate an obvious pocket, but people mistook the "call the 8-ball" intent, and fights broke out daily across the country.

The APA tries to mitigate fights by requiring the player to mark (physically designate with an object like a coaster or patch) the nominated pocket. We used to be able to designate (mark) the pocket with a chalk cube, but the APA did away with that for a handful of good reasons. Players now just designate the pocket for the 8-ball with some other object and not a cube of chalk.

Freddie <~~~ ANYKTROTS
Most all the bar tourneys in Chicago areas are modified apa rules, slop counts but you can call a safe and pocket a ball, call the 8, jump sticks allowed, open on the break.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell that to the Challenge of Champions :wink: Rule Set can be whatever you agree on. I have no problem playing regular with players, I hate playing with folks that will bang and hope at every opportunity. That's all it makes them play, you don't lose on luck.

Oh lots of people have gaffed the game up to create what "they" believe to be a better game ,but at the end of the day it's simply not how the game was meant to be played

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I don't like this story. I LOVE IT!

JoeyA