Rules of the "Calcutta"

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Should Players be allowed to Bid on other Players, or only on themselves. How are most run out there, new process for me and I'm getting conflicting information from players as to what they are used to .

~Black Cat~ :cool:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should Players be allowed to Bid on other Players, or only on themselves. How are most run out there, new process for me and I'm getting conflicting information from players as to what they are used to .

Around here players are allowed to buy other players. I have seen some players buy half a dozen other players also.

Also you can buy half of yourself if some one bids high on you and you did not want to go that high on your self......that is if both parties agree.

We also sometimes have what we call a side pot.....to get around the notion that Calcutta's may be illegal. Say the fee for entering the tournament is 20.0\. You can buy into the sidepot for 20.00 also.. Basically a Calcutta without the bidding .

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, players definitely buy other players here, there were guys in yesterday's tournament who bought half a dozen or so other players.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not being able to bet on other players completely defeats the purpose of having a calcutta. The idea is that it gives another avenue of interest for the event. Maybe you are old and like sweating matches but can't really play anymore. Maybe it is a high level open tourney and you are a C player and want a horse to sweat and root for. Maybe it is a handicapped tourney, which is of course the very best use of a calcutta...this way the dollars show who is handicapped appropriately and who isn't.

I have never seen a calcutta that doesn't follow this basic idea: anyone can bid on anyone. The player that was bid on has the option to take 1/2 of themself always. Generally it is courteous to let the person up for auction place the first bid on themself, but that isn't really a rule.

If you can only bid on yourself, you might as well just skip the calcutta and do a "side pool", where you for example have the option of paying 20 bucks or whatever, and then you are in the side pool. Saves time, but typically results in a lot less overall money.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Not being able to bet on other players completely defeats the purpose of having a calcutta. The idea is that it gives another avenue of interest for the event. Maybe you are old and like sweating matches but can't really play anymore. Maybe it is a high level open tourney and you are a C player and want a horse to sweat and root for. Maybe it is a handicapped tourney, which is of course the very best use of a calcutta...this way the dollars show who is handicapped appropriately and who isn't.

I have never seen a calcutta that doesn't follow this basic idea: anyone can bid on anyone. The player that was bid on has the option to take 1/2 of themself always. Generally it is courteous to let the person up for auction place the first bid on themself, but that isn't really a rule.

If you can only bid on yourself, you might as well just skip the calcutta and do a "side pool", where you for example have the option of paying 20 bucks or whatever, and then you are in the side pool. Saves time, but typically results in a lot less overall money.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Years ago at I think it J Lee was involved in a little controversary about the 1/2 option. Someone bought her and asked if she wanted 1/2 and she said no or I will think about it. After the tournament started she then decided that she wanted 1/2 and the buyer said no. She then dumped on the tournament by forfeiting. There was a lot of so called misunderstanding according to both sides.

When it comes to gambling with money on someone else it is a gamble as how honest they will be. They may have a better bet on someone else.

🎱

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago at I think it J Lee was involved in a little controversary about the 1/2 option. Someone bought her and asked if she wanted 1/2 and she said no or I will think about it. After the tournament started she then decided that she wanted 1/2 and the buyer said no. She then dumped on the tournament by forfeiting. There was a lot of so called misunderstanding according to both sides.

When it comes to gambling with money on someone else it is a gamble as how honest they will be. They may have a better bet on someone else.

🎱

Wow. I think the option to take 1/2 expires when the first rack of the tourney is broken. I mean, the guy that bought you can do what he wants. If you want to take 1/2 yourself, you better get that straight before the tourney starts. Especially if you are not close with the person who bought you. I always tell the guy the minute he is walking up with his money that I'll take 1/2. In that story, I kinda think Jeanette was wrong all the way thru.

KMRUNOUT

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should buy your half before the draw. When sombody bids they do it before the draw. A player shouldnt be able to wait to see the draw.

In short when the calcutta is over immediately get you half or go without.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should buy your half before the draw. When sombody bids they do it before the draw. A player shouldnt be able to wait to see the draw.

In short when the calcutta is over immediately get you half or go without.

Yes definitely. Agree completely. In the tourneys I go to with calcuttas, they are using Ingen Pool, and the draw takes place about 10 seconds before the matches are called.

I didn't really think of this, but yes you are definitely right.

KMRUNOUT

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a player lets be known before the Calcutta he is not interested in buying half and you buy them would you tip them out if the bring home the money?

What would be the appropriate response to a player who didn't want half but asks for a payout when it looks they will be in the money? What would you do if they broke down and left?

Last edited:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys, I've been running a very good Tournament for awhile now. I'm always looking for ways to improve and bring more excitement to the events, I really want to get more spectator evolvement and subsequently larger crowds out to venues. This is why I'm looking to start doing the Calcutta's, however with that being said I always thought it was in bad taste to have players buying other players and not just themselves. I have been of the opinion that if you participate in the Calcutta it is with the understanding that if you win the Bid on the winning player that you have to share that portion of the winnings with the player by a predetermined amount 70/30, 60/40, 50/50 as long as the player bought apart of themselves with a minimum bid of whatever the established minimum bid. Following this formula you don't have anybody laying down.

Thoughts?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

The issue I see with players buying players, is that if you are playing someone you bought and know they are a good player, you may want to dump your game to ensure the player you paid money for can get further. What if you happen to beat them that day, but you know you are not as strong on average, now the other guys is out or on losers side, when he could have a greater chance beating the other players you would be facing.

It's also funny when people post that there is no money in pool, yet we have people paying hundreds and thousands to buy a player in a calcutta, which in some cases ends up more than the tournament prize fund LOL If you can come into the pool room with $1,000 to plop on a side bet, there is no way there should be a money issue when it comes to the pool world LOL

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue I see with players buying players, is that if you are playing someone you bought and know they are a good player, you may want to dump your game to ensure the player you paid money for can get further. What if you happen to beat them that day, but you know you are not as strong on average, now the other guys is out or on losers side, when he could have a greater chance beating the other players you would be facing.

It's also funny when people post that there is no money in pool, yet we have people paying hundreds and thousands to buy a player in a calcutta, which in some cases ends up more than the tournament prize fund LOL If you can come into the pool room with $1,000 to plop on a side bet, there is no way there should be a money issue when it comes to the pool world LOL

When people go to a tournament with Calcutta's and srop a thousand or so on a player or players they are there solely to make money...not spend money..

I have seen guys go to a tournament ...buy a pleyer and leave telling some one to call him if his player gets to the money rounds and leave without spending a dime in the establishment.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys, I've been running a very good Tournament for awhile now. I'm always looking for ways to improve and bring more excitement to the events, I really want to get more spectator evolvement and subsequently larger crowds out to venues. This is why I'm looking to start doing the Calcutta's, however with that being said I always thought it was in bad taste to have players buying other players and not just themselves. I have been of the opinion that if you participate in the Calcutta it is with the understanding that if you win the Bid on the winning player that you have to share that portion of the winnings with the player by a predetermined amount 70/30, 60/40, 50/50 as long as the player bought apart of themselves with a minimum bid of whatever the established minimum bid. Following this formula you don't have anybody laying down.

Thoughts?

Any Calcutta I've been in, the successful bidder is OBLIGATED to sell half to the player.
(...although I can't imagine why a bidder would refuse)

and I always tip a player who cashes but didn't buy himself...sometimes they just can't
afford it and I appreciate them trying.

If a player dumps or forfeits a match...he should be barred from future Calcuttas.

As a player, I wouldn't enter a Calcutta if I couldn't buy other players....
...Calcuttas are for people who like action.

At the racetrack, if two horses are in the same race but come from the same stable, they are
bet as an "ENTRY"....you get both horses with your bet.
I feel this should be used for players that are family or partner-player-backer combos...
...they should be an ENTRY in a calcutta, your bid gets both.