cue extension advice

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have predator ikon 3 and want to try an extension. What is better? An extension at the end of the butt or one in the middle?

I found where to order one for the end of the butt but not one in the middle.

Advice much appreciated.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That will be something for you to decide as there some variables to consider...

Ex.
- Will u keep it on the whole time you're playing? Or are u just wanting to use it as needed instead of a bridge?
- do u prefer to add weight up front or at the rear?

You'll need to try both and see which one feels most comfy for u. I have the rear extension but I only use it as needed.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator QR extension

I like my Predator Extension, it goes right into the WC system and all you do is change the rubber bumper out for the metal quick release bumper. I'm not a fan of anything going between the shaft and butt as it seams to change the hit quite a bit, plus I'm pretty tall so I don't need it too often - Hope you find what suits you.

Nine Miler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you already made the purchase, so this is just some reassurance. I have a balance rite that goes in at the joint. A couple of the regulars at my local room have the predator extensions that screw on the butt. What I have experienced is that the predator extensions are about twice as long (at least the ones I have seen) and probably weigh half as much as the balance rite. I don't know the specs but I would be surprised if the predator extension weighed more than an ounce. If I had a predator cue, I'd have one of those extensions that screws into the butt of the cue.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 'Balance Rite about 2 months ago for extra reach on 9' tables. I like idea of extra 4" reach but my player with the extension brings it up to almost 21oz. For me heavy and not as nimble and my cue has no weight bolt to remove extra weight.

Moved the balance point from 18.5" forward to almost 20" which was ok for my open bridge but having trouble with the feel and 'hit'.

For me, I had a tough time adjusting after hours of practice and play so it sits in my case for now. It is well made, matched up nice at joint and a good value @ only $32. I will probably give it another go because I did enjoy 62" of reach.

Last these 'Mid Extentions' are not convenient to change out in match or tournament like the quick release Butt extensions. Once installed you are pretty much committed.

Have a good weekend,
-Kat,

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you've bought yours, but for anyone else out there considering it, I echo the comments re ease of change with the end extension. I had a mid cue extension and very rarely used it because I would have to unscrew, insert the extension and then reverse the process every time. On the other hand, I use the butt extension a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I love how I can reach everything and I love how easy it is to take off if I need to. It's definitely making the cue heavier but I haven't found that it's affecting my ability to draw balls or anything.

Are there any known disadvantages to playing with a heavier cue? Doesn't seem to hurt Earl Strickland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently bought a BK2 from someone who won the cue in a raffle. I removed the bumper and notice brass threads at the butt end of the cue. Does anyone know if this is typical of the BK2 and if so will the predator extension fit on this cue?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted just about 2 inches and a little forward weight added. mid ext from newsherriff. Fits perfect with no wooble,dead straight. Very Happy !!!

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently bought a BK2 from someone who won the cue in a raffle. I removed the bumper and notice brass threads at the butt end of the cue. Does anyone know if this is typical of the BK2 and if so will the predator extension fit on this cue?

fc79e9178d2a40c1d051f4c1ab05c83c.jpg

Doesn't look like it

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I love how I can reach everything and I love how easy it is to take off if I need to. It's definitely making the cue heavier but I haven't found that it's affecting my ability to draw balls or anything.

Are there any known disadvantages to playing with a heavier cue? Doesn't seem to hurt Earl Strickland.

Step 1: Play with a heavier cue (or with the extension on full time in this case.)
Step 2: Ask yourself: "Do I like how the cue plays?"

If "yes", then great, continue playing with it.
If "no", then yeah, there are some disadvantages.

If it fits your taste, why are you trying to find problems when there aren't any for you?

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Budget Billiards website, the Predator extension weighs between 4.0 and 4.5 ounces:

http://www.budgetcues.com/predator-qr-extension.htm

That turns your 19 oz. cue into a 23 oz. cue! Unless you use it full time and remove the weight bolt(s) from the butt.

I have a predator extension and can confirm it makes a very noticeable difference in the weight. It doesn't seem to affect performance too much, probably because when you need it, you are necessarily moving your bridge much closer to the center of the cue, so the balance is still relatively "normal".

I will also say that have the extension has won me many games, and several other people in our pool hall have bought predators specifically because they have seen me use the extension.

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't look like it

So my real question is do the bk2's typically come with brass threads for the bumper or is it possible the previous owner modified this cue so it could accept an extension?

Attachments

• 20170221_094731.jpg
    20170221_094731.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 471

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I play with the Balance Rite Mid Extension Full Time and I add my Predator QR Rear Extension as needed on occasion. Makes for an extremely long cue but I can reach everything. Cue plays great, wouldn't change back for anything.

Black Cat :cool:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Doesn't look like it

So my real question is do the bk2's typically come with brass threads for the bumper or is it possible the previous owner modified this cue so it could accept an extension?

No the Butt Cap Threads are too long, will only go in partially. Cap would have to be modified to work, could be done. Early BK2's didn't have the threaded end. This was a later design change, it is purely a factory design.

Last edited:

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No the Butt Cap Threads are too long, will only go in partially. Cap would have to be modified to work, could be done. Early BK2's didn't have the threaded end. This was a later design change, it is purely a factory design.

Thanks for the reply.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't look like it

If you want to be sure it the predator extension will fit your cue, find someone with a predator cue and try to screw on his bumper into your cue. If it fits, then the modified threads on your cue will accept the extension as well.
This is what i've done. I have a poison cue, whitch is not advertised to accept the predator extension. However, I've noticed that my cue had a screw on bumper, borrowed a predator bumper from a friend of mine, found out it fits, so I bought the extension and I couldn't be happier :)