Gold Crown Barn Find

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My flooded room and table should be back in action about the same time as yours... I am thinking July 2022? ;)

Sonofkingjames1

Registered
Brunstone “BS” markings

I am doing a complete restoration on an original blue and white 1963 GC1 and just wanted to post the picture of the Brunstone “BS” markings. I agree with Glen, most older tables don’t have real slate, so if you do it’s rare and more valuable even though Brunswick states it just as good or better. My table originally came from a pool hall in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Attachments

• A257923A-9312-465B-B1BE-039188F139D0.jpg
    A257923A-9312-465B-B1BE-039188F139D0.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best wishes to you with your restoration!

Maybe you should start a new thread for it. I will subscribe.

I have what's probably an early Gold Crown I, and it has what I am pretty certain is slate. The slate looks blue-ish, and has large grinding marks on the bottom that look like big circular saw marks. There are other features that some have told me make it an older table, like the way the ball storage box is attached, without aluminum attachment features, but just screwed in with wood screws. As far as I know the feet and pocket castings have been replaced with reproductions, and the feet are the leveling type, 'though the originals may not have been; I don't know.

Regardless, they are very solidly built, well designed tables. I wish you the best.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know what “MOD AR” means and “FTV JM”???

MOD AR means Model AR as seen on the original ID water transfer decal on the stringer. I reproduce these for the GCI and GCII in modern, UV resistant peel and stick vinyl as seen below.

I've got no clue on the other alpha code. Mine are stamped HYV JN. I'm curious if your rails have the same alpha code on them. I'd check mine but my mechanic has them.

49506232917_20cef4c817_c.jpg

Sonofkingjames1

Registered
Thanks Rexus31. I will check my rails tonight. The base has the same markings. I wonder if it’s the personal builder? The original blue after I sanded of the smoke stained old surface.

Attachments

• DE7BCC1A-6F90-4E7D-98FB-113E18491C3C.jpg
    DE7BCC1A-6F90-4E7D-98FB-113E18491C3C.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 435
  • AAC2103F-FBF9-4CF6-893E-F4A60027DA49.jpg
    AAC2103F-FBF9-4CF6-893E-F4A60027DA49.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 34898EBB-F96D-4D5B-8D75-6465ED9C4226.jpg
    34898EBB-F96D-4D5B-8D75-6465ED9C4226.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 430

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Rexus31. I will check my rails tonight. The base has the same markings. I wonder if it’s the personal builder? The original blue after I sanded of the smoke stained old surface.

Cool! You should start your own thread so your build doesn't get lost in this one.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I stripped the paint off my table Mark Gregory told me to use a product called Aircraft Remover by Clean-Strip.

That stuff did the job, it removed every bit of paint with the minimum of effort. Great stuff, but make sure you wear eye and skin protection, not those cheap latex gloves either.

You only want to do this once so take the time to strip it clean to give yourself the best canvas to get a great finish.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I stripped the paint off my table Mark Gregory told me to use a product called Aircraft Remover by Clean-Strip.

That stuff did the job, it removed every bit of paint with the minimum of effort. Great stuff, but make sure you wear eye and skin protection, not those cheap latex gloves either.

You only want to do this once so take the time to strip it clean to give yourself the best canvas to get a great finish.

I used Klean-Strip Premium stripper. It worked great on my GC1, with the original paint.

It was about half the price of the Klean-Strip Aircraft, I was kinda surprised it took it off in one pass. Good stuff!

I also used long kitchen dishwashing gloves, thick enough for protection, but I could still bend my fingers.