GoFundMe for Chicago Poolhall Employees

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I am a full-blooded New Yorker who has had the pleasure of frequenting the Chicago pool scene, including playing at both Pressure and Surge.

I made a total contribution of $100, and wish all those who depend on the Chicago pool scene better times ahead.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Last time I was at Surge I visited with a few of the gals that worked there. They seemed very upbeat and from what I had heard they loved the job. Very nice room with lots of non-typical players coming in. Hats off to the owner for not sitting around and finding away to help others.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am a full-blooded New Yorker who has had the pleasure of frequenting the Chicago pool scene, including playing at both Pressure and Surge.

I made a total contribution of $100, and wish all those who depend on the Chicago pool scene better times ahead.
Thanks Stu! Couldn't come from a nicer guy!

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Very nice room with lots of non-typical players coming in.
Yeah, you can often see fathers/mothers teaching their kids (boys and girls) to play. My favorite is a group of 5 or six lady seniors who are regulars - they're getting better!

The place has a real nice vibe.

pj
chgo

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Why do some people believe if you own a business that automatically makes you wealthy?? I had people say things from "your lucky to have your own business, you can take off whenever you want" to "you should go buy a new truck, you can write it off". Its tough to make money when you are taking days off and buying a shop vehicle only means you pay less taxes on your income, its not like you are profiting because you buy a new business vehicle.

Because of jealousy and a lack of complete common sense. They think a small business owner can just pay salaries for months on end with no income coming in to the business. That is a recipe for being closed down permanently.

That would be money personally out of his own pocket and most small business owners are not flush with cash. So, yeah, I guess he could dip into his own retirement savings so he can eat cat food when he retires..... what do people expert?

I'm sure he's doing what he can, and starting a fundraiser certainly can't hurt.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Why do some people believe if you own a business that automatically makes you wealthy?? I had people say things from "your lucky to have your own business, you can take off whenever you want" to "you should go buy a new truck, you can write it off". Its tough to make money when you are taking days off and buying a shop vehicle only means you pay less taxes on your income, its not like you are profiting because you buy a new business vehicle.

Because they see the few like the owner of Amazon, a guy who started selling book out of his garage. Now he weathy guy.

For every business owner who makes it big I would be willing to say two hundred others are just surviving, and not buy a new car every six months.

Remember back the 70's the pool room owner in Burbank, CA of Baker's Billiard drove a junker.

Most business owners are the last one to get paid, after suppliers, utilities, rent, insurance, payroll, and other employee expenses, etc.

People only see the dollars going into the cash draw, it not all profit.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dude, step the F off. The guy owns a couple of coffee/pool rooms, not exactly Apple or Microsoft.

In other words, he's doing what he can, but with no income coming in, he still has to pay rent, insurance, etc. Not to mention his personal bills. If he goes bankrupt, then nobody is getting paid. So, geez, you hear from 2 disgruntled ex-employees, and Pat knows all the employees, so his word is good here imho.

Yep....:thumbup: Patrick is trying to advance a decent cause for some folks going thru a bit of a tough time. Leave it alone.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a very nice gesture and I wish them well. Virtually all of us are going to be faced with extremely tough times for the next number of months. Obviously some moreso than others. For most of us, our $ donation to anyone, if we’re lucky enough ourselves to afford to make it, would be to our own employees, fellow employees, friends and those in our own communities and our own lives who will be facing financial hardship and most in need. Hopefully these laid off employees from these pool rooms have people whose lives they have touched, who will step up and help them out.