Full rack Rotation

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah! When I twist a bank backwards and spin whitey 3 rails for shape on the shot side of the next ball, you should be able to push if I miss?

That's exactly the kind of shot i miss seeing on a routine basis. Today's player is not going to take it because of the risk of selling out. The "correct" shot in that circumstance today is make your ball and create an iron clad safety, if it takes that much shape to get on the next ball. If making the perfect safety is less safe - leaves the door open for a push, more players are going to take the shot you describe.

Push is never a gimme - opposing player has his option to take or reject.

smt

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One element I'd like to see is continuous scoring. IOW a running total of points where all the stripes are important; shoot 'em all, last ball for the break. You can do this with 1 hole as well.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else think that, with pool evolving, we are heading to a world where full rack rotation, on a 10' table, will become the ultimate title for pros?
And if so how long will it take for that to happen. I am thinking we could see this happen in 10 years.
It's just an idea that cameto me.
Paul

That was a common game when I started playing in 1960. Straight pool was the game that determined champions. Eight ball was popular (1 and 15). Nine ball was not so popular.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else think that, with pool evolving, we are heading to a world where full rack rotation, on a 10' table, will become the ultimate title for pros?
And if so how long will it take for that to happen. I am thinking we could see this happen in 10 years.
It's just an idea that cameto me.
Paul

Nope, not happening unless it's some challenge match. First 10' tables are rare, I don't see any event changing to all 10' tables or a new one coming up past what is already out there as a limited setup. Second, rotation is not a game most people know, adding an odd game for pro players to play in a public event is death. One pocket works, but only in select events.

This would be a great test of skill, but not for a "title".

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a common game when I started playing in 1960. Straight pool was the game that determined champions. Eight ball was popular (1 and 15). Nine ball was not so popular.

Rotation, not straight pool. I don't think rotation was ever that popular in the US or most countries.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 50s small town/midwest, pool WAS rotation. But, those who had trouble adding numbers usually played 8 ball. We (kids) didn’t discover the championship straight pool game until the ‘Hustler’ movie came out.
BTW: I grew up assuming ‘rotation’ was the reason for the divided ball trays at the end of the table.��

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do we really want to play a game so hard that the best player can be the only winner?

Sounds kinda short-sighted to me.

I'd rather play an event that I had a chance to win. And once...I did win.

Glory Days...

capt hook

Registered
15 ball would get old quickly. I use it as a teaching drill. Break the balls, take ball in hand and start with the 1 ball. More than likely you can't run more than 4 or5 balls. My drill rewards safeties. If you hide the object ball, you get ball in hand and keep shooting. With weaker players if they get shape they keep shooting even if they missed the object ball. They can use it later as a wildcard to try and get back in line.
I think this drill is ideal for teaching 9-10 ball. Rewards hooks and teaches position play. Great if you have multiple people doing this as you can pool your knowledge to help figure out the best course of action

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 50s small town/midwest, pool WAS rotation. But, those who had trouble adding numbers usually played 8 ball. We (kids) didn’t discover the championship straight pool game until the ‘Hustler’ movie came out.
BTW: I grew up assuming ‘rotation’ was the reason for the divided ball trays at the end of the table.��

P.S. ROTATION: Just out of curiosity, I wonder what percentage of today’s players (when asked) could instantly tell you what the total of the #s on all of the 15 pool balls add up to?

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S. ROTATION: Just out of curiosity, I wonder what percentage of today’s players (when asked) could instantly tell you what the total of the #s on all of the 15 pool balls add up to?

the formula is the highest number x the middle / average number , so 15 x 8

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We used street math. You just pair your balls into 10s. You can tell in a couple seconds.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
the formula is the highest number x the middle / average number , so 15 x 8

120.....They played until someone got 61 points. Rotation was also called 61.
Here's a tip on how to win at Rotation. When shooting at the low numbered balls, just try to ride as many balls as possible and luck something in, specifically aiming at the striped balls. Running low number balls is pretty worthless. All the points are from the nine ball on up. That's when you try to run out if you get a shot. I did prety good with that simple strategy in the Philippines.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
120.....They played until someone got 61 points. Rotation was also called 61.
Here's a tip on how to win at Rotation. When shooting at the low numbered balls, just try to ride as many balls as possible and luck something in, specifically aiming at the striped balls. Running low number balls is pretty worthless. All the points are from the nine ball on up. That's when you try to run out if you get a shot. I did prety good with that simple strategy in the Philippines.

Rotation players also got quite skilled at making combinations. Unlike 9 ball, with only the nine as the major objective (excepting ring games, where the 5 is also a minor $ bonus), every stripe was a looming combo target.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you ever played the classic ring game of Chicago or 1-3 you would know.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Does anyone else think that, with pool evolving, we are heading to a world where full rack rotation, on a 10' table, will become the ultimate title for pros?Paul

I'd call this impossible unless the disconnect between the pro ranks and the amateur ranks, already vast, grows and grows.

I don't think pool is evolving to a more complicated or difficult form, and I couldn't be happier about Matchroom's decision to now use the terms "pool" and "nine ball" interchangeably, because it represents the reality of our times.

As a die hard fan, I'd still watch if pool evolved in this way, but as a spectator sport, pool will fall into even greater obscurity if fifteen ball rotation, an incredibly skillful game that not many amateurs play became the pro game, because the pro game would be increasingly unintelligible to most players.

Let's not forget that, to some extent, Joe Tucker made an attempt to vitalize a slightly modified version of fifteen ball rotation and, while it was somewhat interesting, it didn't really catch on.

Finally, I can't think of any reason that pool should return to the 10' tables that were the standard in the 1950's and earlier.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is when you first play pill pool as full rack rotation on a 9ftr , if you break and run 2 racks in a row,you are done playing:wink:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I remember listening to UpState Al at a tournament he was live broadcasting on Facebook and he and another “commentator” (and I’m using the term loosely) we’re trying to figure out what the wining score was in 15 ball rotation. These two mental giants could not come up with an answer. They did not know that all the balls added up to 120 and I don’t think if they knew that’s what they totaled they would have been able to determine you needed 61 or more points to win. Geesh!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotation was a popular gambling game that I remember in the mid 60s. It was considered more of a position players game than a shotmakers game such as 9 ball back then. In some ways, 14.1 and rotation fed off each other as skill improvement methods.