please PM

Delta 13 I guess
I don't know the difference

Last edited:

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Delta-13 is the best rack I have ever used and I have used a lot of them.

-don

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The second is that they take up about five square feet. For 14.1 that eliminates some break shots that players would like to keep.

Oh they have many failures. They also get sticky after a while and drag the head ball away from the stack. That's why I put it second behind the Delta 13.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... They also get sticky after a while and drag the head ball away from the stack. ...
I think all racks will do that eventually. The fairly nice wooden racks where I used to play did this as well. You could see a little spot of crud on the triangle where each ball touched it. You have to wash off the crud occasionally.

I imagine metal would not gather the crud as quickly.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I imagine metal would not gather the crud as quickly.

Three years into using the Delta 13 Select and I'm pretty sure I've never so much as wiped it off. I think I remember the difference is the Elite is one piece construction but I've never had reason to tighten the screws on the Select. I bought mine second hand but I suspect not actually used and it has no flaws.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
No problem getting frozen balls when I lived in Alaska, at least for most of the year.

Now that I'm in Maryland, I like the Delta 13 rack.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember 2 I liked from all these years but can't remember their names. However, they appeared to work very well (I now use templates for everything). Anyways, maybe you can track them down or make them yourself, both of them are simple.

One was a rack someone made that would allow different size balls by designing the rack frame at a similar angle that the table rails have (the balls sort of scrunched underneath and together).

The other was a scroll rack were the balls laid on a sheet of cloth and the rack frame was designed backwards (you'd pull the cloth out from underneath and the balls would tighten).

Of course there's always that huge plastic plunger thing you saw in tournaments about 20 years back (I've never known its name).

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both also. The Diamond wood triangle only racks tight in one of the two directional choices (even with new balls), and still needs tape on the inside of the front point to get the head ball to freeze. I use it most of the time since it is larger, and thus easier to gather the balls & remove without disturbing them. I grab the Delta though when the last ball in 14.1 is close to the lines.
If your cloth is old, you can forget about freezing the balls if positioned correctly. I used to have to rack a bit high or low from the foot spot until I had the table recovered. I tried wetting the cloth and training it, but only ended up with divots that hindered ball spread when playing straight pool.

I should have added: Aside from how well these two examples will rack the balls tight, that unlike the Diamond plastic triangle, they also have a grove in the sides that facilitates lifting without disturbing the balls. I wish I had a nickel for every time I have labored over getting a perfectly tight rack with another brand, and then fumbled the lift, only to have to start all over again!

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Sardo Rack. Jeezus what a monstrosity! :sorry:

Maniac

Yes it is. I forgot how big it was, it definitely doesn't have that hide-a-way characteristic.

PoolTableRack.jpg

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you
i have decided I want a delta rack
please contact me if you have a used one condition is no big deal, cheap is

dean

please PM

Delta 13 I guess
I don't know the difference

If you get the leather inserts, it’s not any noisier than a wooden rack. I bought them and had my nickname engraved in them. The Delta Elite is the best Rack, Period.
I will add that the plastic Diamond rack ain’t bad at all, but it’s plastic, and probably better for a pool hall.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,

I suggest the "new" Diamond plastic rack. Found it to rack consistently tight. If you have a line drawn on your cloth as a center line for the rack, flip the Diamond over and there is a plastic support in the rear which will aid in rack alignment. The rack also has doubled supports up front where the front ball should be racked.

Lyn

The Diamond wooden racks are made with a saw kerf in the middle of the back of the rack. Not everyone notices, but they make it easy to align the rack on your center line.

Even less obvious - the newer Diamond polycarbonic racks have a fancy Diamond Billiards logo in the back of the rack with a "pointer" in the center for alignment on your center line. Greg Sullivan suggested to me to go a step further and to draw a small perpendicular line across the center line where the back of the rack should me positioned. I've done that and it really makes accurate positioning simple.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
The Diamond wooden racks are made with a saw kerf in the middle of the back of the rack. Not everyone notices, but they make it easy to align the rack on your center line.

Even less obvious - the newer Diamond polycarbonic racks have a fancy Diamond Billiards logo in the back of the rack with a "pointer" in the center for alignment on your center line. Greg Sullivan suggested to me to go a step further and to draw a small perpendicular line across the center line where the back of the rack should me positioned. I've done that and it really makes accurate positioning simple.

Fats, flip the plastic rack over and look at the construction. Designed in alignment. All the wooden Diamond racks we used to have were so worn out there were no identifying marks left!

Lyn

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unfortunately, that is a position I never use (white diamond inlay toward footspot), since (on my example at least) it won’t rack the rear balls tight. For a rear alignment mark in the ONLY accurate position, I measured from outside corner-to-corner, divided the distance, and scored/painted a white line (both sides, as that 3rd choice CAN be flipped). I also used a felt pen to mark/indicate either Lt. or /Rt. on both white diamond inlays, to easily facilitate correct directional positioning when racking.

P.S. Regular flipping will double the time until the balls wear dimples deep enough to prevent tight racking.

Last edited:

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fats, flip the plastic rack over and look at the construction. Designed in alignment. All the wooden Diamond racks we used to have were so worn out there were no identifying marks left!

Lyn

I don't understand... Why flip the plastic rack over when there's an alignment pointer already facing you on the back of the rack?