Who here breaks with their playing cue?

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think this really depends on how you break....i've seen many players go beyond reason on their breaks and really abuse their cues by scraping the whole tip/ferrule across 4 feet of cloth, really bending the shaft into the table, etc. no cue will last forever against that kind of treatment. i think if you are not being abusive to the cue, then a well made cue will be fine for breaking.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
I broke with my player for years.I stopped because if I have a good tip (perfect) I want it to last as long as possible.If I have a decent tip but not super hard like I prefer then breaking with it wears it down real fast.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Sometimes I'll use my player to play and break with, not my ivory jointed cues though. Sometimes I'll use my Gilbert J/B to break and play with, whatever works that night!

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I broke with my player for 20 some years,until I cracked my furrel,replaced the furrel bought a cheap cue tec with a R360 shaft to brake with.
Ten years ago I bought a JP 12mm normal shaft..I brake with it once in a while when playing nine ball,or ten ball.
I would like to find a well balanced 22oz cue that feels right to me,I like cues that are a little front heavy.

berlowmj2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
security issues

I have a 21oz Fury Cue with a Tiger Everest tip that I have been using to break and play with for almost 2 years, with no noticeable problems. I like my cue, and don't really want to use a house cue just to break, and also don't really want to get a separate break cue. Just wondering who else breaks with their playing cue...

I break with a house cue at the bar & someone tried to walk off with my Jacoby while I was breaking.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break with my playing cue, I do go through alot of tips and have to reshape them , and I put on my own tips, but I like the feel when I break.
40 years and it's worked out ok for me.

David Harcrow

40 years!!!!????? Dam the last time I saw ya was only about, gulp 35 years ago and you were just a kid. Time flies as I turned 60 only 2 weeks ago!

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed!

I broke with mine until the ferrule cracked. Do not think it will not break eventually.

I was told to "Play with the same cue, Start to Finish", and so I did, until I started cracking ferrules, and inlay in my forearm! Then I started using a break cue. Now I love having the 2, one to take the abuse, the other to remain in perfect playing condition without costly repairs! Plus my Break cue was built for the abuse, and so far has had NO PROBLEMS HANDLING IT!

Posmanic

15 Rack Player
Silver Member
On the first cue i had i broke with my playing cue, it was a cheap walmart cue or something but the shaft cracked. So i ended up buying new cue from sears, that was on clearance. I used that thing for both as well for many years. My at the time girlfriend now wife bought me a new cue so i plaid with the new cue and broke with the sears cue. After about 7 years the sears cue ended up sounding weird so i took it it to a cue local repair man he said that there was a micro crack in the butt so it was no repairing it. It got me through a few bar fights in the navy and did me well on the table so ide say it was time to retire it i guess.

So i started breaking with the same cue i was playing with and within a month the the feral cracked. I took it in to my local cue repair got it replaced and got a med tip. The Tip i had was soft and had started mushrooming like crazy. He also said that I really should look into a breaking cue as the shaft was not meant to take that abuse. I brushed it off as I never really thought i "needed" a break cue. only used the old cue because i had it and it was heavier and had a thicker shaft and i preferred that for "more power." I was young and uniformed lol. 2 weeks later during league play i hear a familiar tink sound after a break. i cracked my shaft :(

So after all of that the past 7 years I will use a break Cue or a house cue.

tjohio85

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to break with my playing cue then I shattered my shaft and cut that out I use a finalic tip break cue now

Oddball

It's your break.
Silver Member
I break with my playing cue. I don't have worries because my break is soft.

rustysregular10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have owned 3 j/b cues and never use them. the only time i used them was for a break contest. i have broke with my playing cue since i started playing. i see it as you shoot certain shots that hard during a game sometimes anyway, so why not break with it. i have never shattered a ferrule or a shaft or anything else like that. none of my shafts ever warped or damaged. if you have a good solid shaft on a good cue, then nothing will go wrong unless you are trying to make something happen.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
I break with my Schon and Pechauer all the time and my other cues before. Hit's better than my break cue. Only thing wrong with breaking with a playing cue is you'd wear off the tip alot quicker.
But if I'm playing on a league night I might use a break cue only because some bar boxes have that metal lining that could really damage the cue...and I've seen cues that have had their finish taken of because of those Valley tables. Not a good site.

John Brumback

Silver Member
I do when playing fullrack banks or onepocket.Other than that, no.I like my tip to stay in good shape and last as long as possible.I dread having to get use to a new tip.When I get It down like I like It,I want It to stay like that for as long as I can.Breaking can be hard on tips,imo.John B.