Hugging the rail vs. deflecting off

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The effects obvious vary with pocket geometry; but in general, with slow speed shots, the effective size of a corner pocket is bigger coming in from a small angle off the cushion. If you or others want to see why, check out the articles and other resources here:

pocket effective size and center effects

Catch you later,
Dave

Hi Dave. Do you mind sharing your observations on the effective pocket size when the object ball is frozen to the rail?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The effects obviously vary with pocket geometry; but in general, with slow speed shots, the effective size of a corner pocket is bigger coming in from a small angle off the cushion. If you or others want to see why, check out the articles and other resources here:

pocket effective size and center effects
Hi Dave. Do you mind sharing your observations on the effective pocket size when the object ball is frozen to the rail?
Sorry for the delayed response. I missed this when you first posted it.

I think I already did share my observations in the quoted post above. In general, the effective size of the pocket is smaller when shooting along the rail.

If you have any specific questions I have not answered, please let me know.

FYI, lots of demonstrations and info related to rail cut shots can be found on the rail cut shot resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the delayed response. I missed this when you first posted it.

I think I already did share my observations in the quoted post above. The effective size of the pocket is smaller when shooting along the rail.

If you have any specific questions I have not answered, please let me know.

FYI, lots of demonstrations and info related to rail cut shots can be found on the rail cut shot resource page.

Enjoy,,
Dave

Check out the Pool Shot Analyzer java app, you can get it from the Downloads page of www.cue-md.com.

It give you lots of stats about a shot including effective pocket size, error of margin, etc. for different speed cut shots. Just setup (drag/drop) your shot on the app and get all the info about it, it's pretty easy to use. There's a help button on the app that explains it all.

The app uses Dr. Dave's plots for pocket size from various approach angles in its calculations (thanks for doing the hard work, Dave).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is if you brush the rail on the way in, unless its like a lag speed shot, you are more likely to rattle the pocket. The solution, that works on every table, regardless of condition, or cloth type, or cushion type, is to hit the middle of the pocket facing clean. Don't brush the rail at all. Then, you don't have to worry about effective pocket size:)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
All I know is if you brush the rail on the way in, unless its like a lag speed shot, you are more likely to rattle the pocket. The solution, that works on every table, regardless of condition, or cloth type, or cushion type, is to hit the middle of the pocket facing clean. Don't brush the rail at all. Then, you don't have to worry about effective pocket size:)
Everything varies quite a bit from one table to another, and with shot speed. On a Valley bar box, the corner pockets are huge if you hit the rail first at slow speed.

Regards,
Dave

PS: Do you plan to enter the $4000 BU Exam I Challenge? Not many people are entering yet, so you and other AZB'ers might have a chance at the cash. I also look forward to seeing how much better you can do on the Exam now compared to your attempt in the past.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, on the front table in Redwood City (Varner's home base on the Left Coast), if you ran a ball perfectly along the foot rail at speed, it would rattle. Old, worn, cupped pocket facings.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, on the front table in Redwood City (Varner's home base on the Left Coast), if you ran a ball perfectly along the foot rail at speed, it would rattle. Old, worn, cupped pocket facings.

Did it still have a better change of falling than if you brushed the rail? :)

IMO, if you brush the rail on the way in at all, you missed the shot, and need to practice it. I think for all the players that recommend 4.5" pockets on a home table, that first they should be able to play on a 5" GC pocket, without brushing the rail more than once per 2 racks of 9 ball. If their accuracy is that good, then they can tighten up the pockets. If they are brushing the rail every third shot, tighter pockets are not for them. YMMV:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...

PS: Do you plan to enter the $4000 BU Exam I Challenge? Not many people are entering yet, so you and other AZB'ers might have a chance at the cash. I also look forward to seeing how much better you can do on the Exam now compared to your attempt in the past.

You are like the girl that asks for flowers. The girl won't get them by asking. The boy has to want to give them to her. Constantly asking just makes the boy want to give the flowers less;)

And, as we have mentioned many times, your test does not measure improvement of play. It only measures improvement of the test, itself.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are like the girl that asks for flowers. The girl won't get them by asking. The boy has to want to give them to her. Constantly asking just makes the boy want to give the flowers less;)

And, as we have mentioned many times, your test does not measure improvement of play. It only measures improvement of the test, itself.
I'll take that as a "No."

BTW, if you ever have the urge to send me flowers, I prefer a Spring Mix. :grin-square:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did it still have a better change of falling than if you brushed the rail? :)

IMO, if you brush the rail on the way in at all, you missed the shot, and need to practice it. I think for all the players that recommend 4.5" pockets on a home table, that first they should be able to play on a 5" GC pocket, without brushing the rail more than once per 2 racks of 9 ball. If their accuracy is that good, then they can tighten up the pockets. If they are brushing the rail every third shot, tighter pockets are not for them. YMMV:)
I saw Jimmy Caras shoot a couple of racks of demonstration in 1975. What I noticed about his play is that a lot of shots went in brushing the cushion. He played pretty well. One explanation of his "sloppiness" is that he knew the limit of cheating the pocket and playing the shot at the edge of the pocket allowed him to hit the object ball fuller and take speed off the cue ball. Crane, on the other hand, prided himself on pocketing accuracy.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Jimmy Caras shoot a couple of racks of demonstration in 1975. What I noticed about his play is that a lot of shots went in brushing the cushion. He played pretty well. One explanation of his "sloppiness" is that he knew the limit of cheating the pocket and playing the shot at the edge of the pocket allowed him to hit the object ball fuller and take speed off the cue ball. Crane, on the other hand, prided himself on pocketing accuracy.

Great counterpoint!

Now for us mere mortals, do we brush the rail on the way in on purpose, or on accident? ha ha

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great counterpoint!

Now for us mere mortals, do we brush the rail on the way in on purpose, or on accident? ha ha
Well, on the tables where I usually play, you brush the rail on purpose only if you're lemonading. (Hmmm.... my spell checker knows "lemonading".)