I went to London for a bachelor party and accidentally played Imran Majid!

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like the start of a bad joke, after eating Indian food, three Yanks walk into a snooker bar in London to watch the Superbowl. Discovering American pool tables in a snooker hall the three set to playing next to an unknown player with a predator and Revo shaft. A few pints, plus or minus ten, my buddies quit and I move over to start playing with the guy next to me. Did I mention he was really good!? I took two games off of him and received a pity win while he won the other 7. I look at a small poster next to the wall, squint a bit, look back at the guy I'm playing and then it hits me, holy crap Imran Majid!!!
He was so nice and so gracious to let me play with him. Turns out he loves breaking with a P2. What a treat to see J-Lo, Shakira, and Imran all on the same day! If you're ever in London looking for a game, head to the Hurricane room. It's beautiful, reasonably priced for London, and has some amazing players!

Attachments

• IMG_10121.jpg
    IMG_10121.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_10111.jpg
    IMG_10111.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 854

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's awesome, cool you shared.

Now about that bachelor party...I do love a good bachelor party.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story...What was the name of the place? My son is in school over there and keeps asking me where he should go play.

You cant just look at the pictures,they maybe worth a thousand words,but not any of the words you are looking for.;)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that looks like a nice pool room
i like the floors,makes it look like home

stop by when you get back to dallas
i have some new stuff to show you and a little one pocket

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hurricane Room, it had snooker, British pool, and American tables. Another interesting fact, Imran said he was staying so busy with students that he had to offload them to another house pro. He said you can make a decent living playing and teaching pool, and he specificall mentioned....unlike the states...

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, here's the tawdry Bard's Globe Theater, the unholiest place in London!

Attachments

• IMG_10461.jpg
    IMG_10461.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 576

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hurricane Room, it had snooker, British pool, and American tables. Another interesting fact, Imran said he was staying so busy with students that he had to offload them to another house pro. He said you can make a decent living playing and teaching pool, and he specificall mentioned....unlike the states...

Thanks. I think he’s actually been to that one but I thought it was a private room. If I remember right he went really late after hitting the clubs. One of his local buddies was a member or something. Nice job by the best man.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I made several trips to the UK in the 80s...
..that location used to be called the King’s Cross Snooker Centre.
It was my favorite club in Britain...the closest thing to a North American action room.
24 snooker tables...and often action on every one...the manager always tried to get me a game.
Many of the British clubs were a bit too sedate for me...but this place had action conversation.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story! Always nice to meet our “heroes” and they have time for us mere mortals.I like the Hurricane Room, although I haven’t been there in years. It seemed to get the balance right between attracting money players, serious practicers, walk-in groups who don’t know the rules, players who just want to play, and every shade in between. Good place to play.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I think he’s actually been to that one but I thought it was a private room. If I remember right he went really late after hitting the clubs. One of his local buddies was a member or something. Nice job by the best man.

Hurricanes at Kings Cross is more of a bang-the-balls-around-have-a-drink type of joint.
They have some of the worst tables I ever played on. That table with the light-blue cloth (the one they played on) is slightly better but a far cry from being a good table (they even call it a “pro” table lol). Some parts of the rails on that table check the ball more than the others or bounce like crazy so you really have to know that table well to be able to play decent on it. I am more of a one pocket guy so these things matter for me.

There are no well maintained pool rooms in the centre of London, to the best of my knowledge at least. The Legends Snooker Academy in Leytonstone (the one where Liang Wenbo used to practice) has great snooker and English pool tables but it’s around 10 miles from the centre. I think they had one American pool table (with the black cloth lol) but they might have got rid of it now.

Tough times for a pool player over here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like the start of a bad joke, after eating Indian food, three Yanks walk into a snooker bar in London to watch the Superbowl. Discovering American pool tables in a snooker hall the three set to playing next to an unknown player with a predator and Revo shaft. A few pints, plus or minus ten, my buddies quit and I move over to start playing with the guy next to me. Did I mention he was really good!? I took two games off of him and received a pity win while he won the other 7. I look at a small poster next to the wall, squint a bit, look back at the guy I'm playing and then it hits me, holy crap Imran Majid!!!
He was so nice and so gracious to let me play with him. Turns out he loves breaking with a P2. What a treat to see J-Lo, Shakira, and Imran all on the same day! If you're ever in London looking for a game, head to the Hurricane room. It's beautiful, reasonably priced for London, and has some amazing players!

Wow! That is really cool. Thankfully this post contains no crotch shots of Imran Majid!!!:D

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I met my wife in a Shakespeare class, my BA and MA are in English so the Bard has a special place in our family. Interesting fact, when the lease holder of the Globe Theater land increased the lease. Shakespeare and Lord Chamberlain's men disassembled the Globe, moved it across the Thames, and reassembled it. When the landlord sued the former tenants, they prevailed in both suits brought against them. The judge ruled the land owner owned the bricks but not the theater sitting on the bricks. Sounds like a pack of pool players to me....lol