Cue ball cleaning during a rack

Cue ball cleaning rules - your favorite?

• Unlimited requests per match, shot clock pauses

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Unlimited requests per match, cleaning time comes out of shot clock

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Limited number per match, shot clock pauses

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Limited number per match, cleaning time comes out of shot clock

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No requests to clean cue ball in middle of a rack allowed

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inspired by the recent Chang-Yang match, which best describes your view about a referee cleaning the cue ball in the middle of a rack?

For simplicity, let's consider rotation games like 8 ball, 9 ball or 10 ball in tournament play, rather than straight pool.

Major questions:
- Should there be a limit on the number of requests to clean the cue ball a player can make per match? Per rack?
- Should the cleaning time come out of the player's shot clock or should the shot clock pause during the cleaning?
- Should cleaning only be allowed in between racks?

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far there is no appetite for unlimited requests per match, yet that seems to be the de facto rule at many tournaments with a referee. Have there been any events where explicit limits were placed on the number of requests to clean the ball?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So far there is no appetite for unlimited requests per match, yet that seems to be the de facto rule at many tournaments with a referee. Have there been any events where explicit limits were placed on the number of requests to clean the ball?
If my opponent uses one of those lipstick-chalks that leaves a bunch of spots on the cue ball can I have the cue ball cleaned each time I come to the table?